PDA

View Full Version : Media player don't support file type?

drpalo
06-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Last week I rendered an animation to an AVI. Worked great. Played back fine. This week I change a few things in the scene. Re-render animation to an AVI. Now windows media player is saying it can't play the file because it don't support the file type. No render settings were changed or any settings at all for that matter. This also happens with still shots. One day I can render an image & save it as a JPEG. Other days I take all the same steps to save an image as a JPEG but the image gets saved as an unrecognizable file type. Anyone else run into this problem.

Thanks.

JamesCurtis
06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Not sure, but I generally put the .xxx extension when saving images and anims in LW. Are you sure you didn't load any new programs which may have fouled your known filetypes?

halley
06-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Do a search for VLC media player and down load it. It will play any thing.

speismonqui
06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Do a search for VLC media player and down load it. It will play any thing.

:agree:

prometheus
06-18-2010, 07:45 AM
render to tga or bmp.
use a composit program fusion or after effects to add the sequence files and to control wich format you need, quicktime,avi or others.

Michael

OnlineRender
06-18-2010, 07:52 AM
render to tga or bmp.
use a composit program fusion or after effects to add the sequence files and to control wich format you need, quicktime,avi or others.

Michael

I always think about this , in all cases I render frames in png ! is there much difference between bmp and png , they are both loseless correct ? . .

the reason being , when i render out BMP , and import sequence via AE , It screws the RGB values " mainly goes blue " . . hence why I use png .

prometheus
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
I always think about this , in all cases I render frames in png ! is there much difference between bmp and png , they are both loseless correct ? . .

the reason being , when i render out BMP , and import sequence via AE , It screws the RGB values " mainly goes blue " . . hence why I use png .

there´s some differences, bmp not generally compressed, as opposed to png is in fact compressed but does that very well as I understand it, and png also has transperancy built in wich bmp doesn´t, tga also has support for that, bmp is supposed to load easier since it doesn´t need to decompress.

more info over here..
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=450104

drpalo
06-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Downloaded the VLC Media player. Still will not play. I still have the AVI previous to my scene changes. That one plays but my new one don't. I don't get it. Both renderings were outputed to AVI. No settings were changed. Since the render takes 19+ hours, I tried rendering a small % of the 1900 frames just to make sure the AVI is playable & it plays fine. But somewhere something goes wrong when I render the full 1900 frames. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

OnlineRender
06-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Downloaded the VLC Media player. Still will not play. I still have the AVI previous to my scene changes. That one plays but my new one don't. I don't get it. Both renderings were outputed to AVI. No settings were changed. Since the render takes 19+ hours, I tried rendering a small % of the 1900 frames just to make sure the AVI is playable & it plays fine. But somewhere something goes wrong when I render the full 1900 frames. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hmm , strange ! . ||There could be several reasons , anything as simples as your screen saver comming on mid render and messing the codec up or you say it's 1900 [email protected] what render setting do you have it on . if its uncompressed AVI , your machine may not be able to buffer it correct , hence the playback failure . Like I said there could be multiple reasons . Best to render out individual frames and then compile it ...

drpalo
06-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Compressor is set to Microsoft Video 1, compression quality is set to 100. Shouldn't have anything to do with the screen saver because I render it overnight with my monitors off. I rendered this scene the previous week with all the same settings with no problems. The only changes were in the scene it's self so it has to have something to do with that. I'm willing to try rendering individual frames. Is there a quick & easy way to do this? It takes about 35 min to render 1 frame in my scene because the frame slider has to run thru all 1900 frames before it starts rendering the 1 frame I want. Is this typical? Also compiling them I've never done before. I'm new to this type of software so I'm sure I'm not doing things as efficiantly as I can be. Training is scheduled for July!

Thanks for all the help.