PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #86 - All Stressed Out

Kuzey
06-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #86 - All Stressed Out
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: All Stressed Out

There are good ways and bad to manage stress, do you pop pills, hit the bottle, bite your nails, surround yourself with food...or party like it's 1999?? Do you go to an ice hockey match just for the fights, streak naked at events, watch formula 1 and hope to see a crash??? Do you find yourself talking to the tv set as if it's a real person?? Or do you read books to unwind, exercise, like to solve puzzles, play sport, play musical instruments...joke with family and friends. Do you like to dress up and reenact the medieval or civil period wars. If you had the money, would you step it up a gear and go extreme skydiving, fly in a rocket to the space station??

Open to interpretation...how do you deal or wish you could deal with stress in your life. Anything goes as long as it's within reason :)

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 23rd June 2010, 2200 GMT

Iain
06-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Cool topic. Lots of scope and something we can all relate to :hey:

Kuzey
06-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks Iain,

Too true....it seems, there's a lot of stress going around and I hope people have fun with the topic :D

Kuzey

Shnoze Shmon
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
2 things come to mind.

1 A whole bunch of large caliber gun/cannon barrels focused on a point.
2 A very large and smoldering crater.

colkai
06-18-2010, 08:40 AM
A considerable amount of Danzy Jones bottles - with at least one of them being empty. :p

Nangleator
06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
My stress relief: Combat flight sims. Currently exploring the massiveness that is IL-2.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/images/StressRelief.jpg

35 minutes modeling. Some time texturing and rendering. Not perfect, but as good as it's going to get.

Nangleator
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Wires.

oliversimonnet
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
haha cool topic
nice plain Nangleator hehe
good work :)

Hopper
06-18-2010, 01:29 PM
That's too bad... I have a day off today and I wanted to see if I could do this weeks challenge... but alas... my wife won't let me borrow one of her bras to model. :D

...and yes, I mean model in LW... (pervs)

shrox
06-18-2010, 02:15 PM
That's too bad... I have a day off today and I wanted to see if I could do this weeks challenge... but alas... my wife won't let me borrow one of her bras to model. :D

...and yes, I mean model in LW... (pervs)

Braggart...

Nangleator
06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Having a wife means never being able to say, "Oh, I'll just fiddle with my hobbies all weekend."

shrox
06-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Having a wife means never being able to say, "Oh, I'll just fiddle with my hobbies all weekend."

Oh, I fiddled with my wife...

chco2
06-18-2010, 03:46 PM
De-stress.. two things that help me relaxed the most.. Coffe and a sigar ;)

40 min modeling; about 1 hour texturing and 5,4 min rendering:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/unstress.png

wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/unstress_wire.png

JeffrySG
06-18-2010, 05:17 PM
De-stress.. two things that help me relaxed the most.. Coffe and a sigar ;)
40 min modeling; about 1 hour texturing and 5,4 min rendering:

great render! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

@Nangleator: love those little planes!!

Kuzey
06-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Nangleator...I love those planes, I hope to see a more final version one day...hint..hint :thumbsup:

chco2...that's a top notch render :thumbsup:

Great stuff!!

Kuzey

Iain
06-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm afraid I'm a typical, predictable Brit and I hit the booze after a hard day :o. 15 minutes modelling...........

danielkaiser
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I was too late for last weeks challenge but I think this could work for both.

10min modeling 20min for textures.

Nangleator
06-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I hope to see a more final version one day...hint..hint
I'll work on it! I love the subject matter, and I need to work on the cartoon style. This needs fiery tracers and smoke trails and wingtip vortices.

Iain
06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
I was too late for last weeks challenge but I think this could work for both.

Love your modesty Daniel!:D

Very convincing render chco2. Is the coffee just a photo?

chco2
06-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks Iain!
80% is a photo. The top polygon is a photo but it has some transparency @ the edges using a gradient and a 5% turbulence bumb. The rest of the liquid that comes through slightly is a dielectric material.

Very convincing render chco2. Is the coffee just a photo?

chco2
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Hmm.. not very many entries this time? 2bad.

chco2
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Not be in a hurry, but I'm out tomorrow all day.. So I've already setup Speed Modeling Challenge #87. You can find it here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110085).

cheers,
Charly

Kuzey
06-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Mmm...not much this week, I guess everyone one was too stressed to take part...hehe.

I for one, have been busy with the cgtalk's Syd Mead competition...still a few days left and I might finish another vehicle....hopefully :D

Anyway, since it was a low turnout, I'm picking the one that had the most potential in terms of a future great model. So the winner is....Nangleator, for the toon planes!!

Well done everyone!

Kuzey

Nangleator
06-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Oh, thanks Kuzey! Now I'm guilted into creating something great! ;)

chco2
06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Congrats Nangleator!

Iain
06-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah well done Nangleator (finished render please!)-and thanks to everybody who keeps these things going even when interest is low :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Congrats Nangleator :)

Every spare 3D minute I have is going elsewhere at the moment trying to finish up a long running project.
Hopefully I`ll get a chance to join in one of the weeks again

colkai
06-25-2010, 02:11 AM
All my spare time is going elsewhere, (read car repairs, house repairs and decorating), but hopefully there'll be an end in sight before my next birthday!

oliversimonnet
06-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Mmm...not much this week, I guess everyone one was too stressed to take part...hehe.

I for one, have been busy with the cgtalk's Syd Mead competition...still a few days left and I might finish another vehicle....hopefully :D

Anyway, since it was a low turnout, I'm picking the one that had the most potential in terms of a future great model. So the winner is....Nangleator, for the toon planes!!

Well done everyone!

Kuzey

hello all, sorry i haven't been on lately, i have missed 2 challenges.
hehe, i have been stressed out, trying to sort out the internet the TV and getting into College, its been a nightmare hehe (just moved house)

anyway, grate work every one
and congrats Nangleator :) good work

Kuzey
06-25-2010, 06:00 AM
No problem guys...hehe :D

I should get back into things as well...once this month is over.

Kuzey

Iain
07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Nangleator, could you come up with something for the next challenge?

We can just leave the current one going for another week if you need more time?

Nangleator
07-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Already up! (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110282)

Iain
07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Sorry! I had a quick scan and must have missed it. Oops.