PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch 2 boxes... looks mighty weird

Tails
09-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Finished modelling the hand now, and thanks to Tony's tutorial it looks great (for a newbie at least, heh). But I'm still having so much trouble linking the 2 subdivded box together when a single box, and subpatching.

Using the 4 point tri-angles I can make the joints invisible on a flat surface. But on a 3D cube, it doesn't work :(

I followed an image munky posted in the other topic, which looks great. But when you subpatch that, ouch. That's using the adding & removing detail tutorial on www.yahlls.com

What do you think? Is joining such a thing seamlessly possible?

Thanks again everyone!

evenflcw
09-15-2003, 02:04 AM
If a patch disregards surrounding geometry and retains it's own shape like that, it's most probably because it has a duplicate under it, so Unify!

Another thing, I would probably have gone for tris to solve this if I really wanted to keep polycount low, as it atleast gives a symmetrical solution, which yours is not. But it all depends on what your doing next though.

Danner
09-15-2003, 02:32 AM
I bet you have an extra point or polygon somewhere, I recreated an object just like yours and it smooths out just fine.

Danner
09-15-2003, 02:37 AM
Oops that wasn't exacly like your model.. but this one is:

Tails
09-15-2003, 04:57 AM
On that last image attached there, you can see the faint line where they merge... will that show up on the render?

What is tris? Yeah maybe there was some extra polygons or points, hmm, I'm not sure how I'd find them though, Unify didn't remove any.

I'm attaching the hand (2,2,2 segments) to the arm (1,1,1 segments). The image below shows the gap where something needs to be.

Thanks again for your help here!