PDA

View Full Version : pan, zoom, rotate

skywalker113
06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I been using the buttons at the top right of the screen in order to get around the viewports. Although I think it would be way faster if I use hotkeys instead. I cannot seem to find a hotkey command for rotating (orbiting) around a object. Does anyone know what it is?

nickdigital
06-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Alt lets your orbit.
Ctrl + Alt lets you zoom.
Shift + Alt lets you pan.

wrench
06-17-2010, 08:52 AM
And if you want to orbit around a specific object in Layout, select the desired object and hit the little target icon in that collection of icons at the top right of the viewport before using the same keyboard shortcuts.

B

skywalker113
06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Alt lets your orbit.
Ctrl + Alt lets you zoom.
Shift + Alt lets you pan.

When I hold the alt key, not only does it orbit the view but it also tilts the view in all directions and its very easy to get turned upside down or sideways. The orbit button on the top right hand corner doesnt move the same way.

Holdesta
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
when holding ALT just make sure to only move the mouse left or right...no forward or back...I had the same problem

skywalker113
06-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Is there another command to use?

nickdigital
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Under the View tab there are buttons for Pan and Magnify. You could hotkey those.

I don't see one for Orbit though.

Twisted_Pixel
06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Those are the only options afaik, clicking the icon gives the feel of holding the 'camera' of the viewport and moving it about. The Alt key combo, is like grabbing the object and twisting it to the view you want, without moving the 'camera'.
They both work well, but take a little getting used to, when swapping from one to the other.
With regard to the Alt method, the further from the centre that you click when dragging, the easier it will be to tilt the object off vertical.

McArcher
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Can I use mouse scrolling wheel scrolling (rotating) to zooming in and out?
Can I use mouse scrolling wheel pushing and holding to panning?

And also I want to assign:
RMB click to Drop Selection,
RMB push and hold for rotating (orbiting).

Where to set this parameters? In keyboard shotcuts I don't see them.
Sorry, I'm new to LightWave.

Sensei
08-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Where to set this parameters? In keyboard shotcuts I don't see them.
Sorry, I'm new to LightWave.

Sorry, these things are not editable.

Dropping selection is very easy- you just have to left click on empty space on left menu.

If you don't want to waste time on selecting elements and dropping them constantly (yeah, that's pain! but still less hassle than in f.e. Maxon Cinema 4D IMHO), check out mine plugin EasyMesh http://easymesh.trueart.pl
It makes things going much smoother, especially in organic modeling.

Dexter2999
08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
For what it's worth...

I found that I use "Drop Selection" more than "Display Options" so I remapped my keyboard shortcuts so "Drop Selection" is "d" and "Display Options" is "ALT+D".

Works for me to keep me from taking my hand off the mouse or taking my hands off the home row of keys. Maybe it could work for you too?

prometheus
08-28-2010, 09:29 AM
For what it's worth...

I found that I use "Drop Selection" more than "Display Options" so I remapped my keyboard shortcuts so "Drop Selection" is "d" and "Display Options" is "ALT+D".

Works for me to keep me from taking my hand off the mouse or taking my hands off the home row of keys. Maybe it could work for you too?

I have done the same, I use drop selection far more than display option, so I use d for drop selection, it comes more naturaly to me that way, if I need display options I rather go up in the menu for that.

for rotating around selected parts, you could select a polygon or select connected part, then use fit selected, that will zoom your viewport to that selected mesh and it will also center viewport around that, so when rotating with the icon rotation tool, it will rotate properly around selected mesh segment even if you zoom out.

Michael