PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Lighting question...

Integrity
09-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Ok, I recently did a commercial for my sister's organization. I used some volumetric lighting effects for there logo; the basic streams of light coming out of the letters. This isn't really a technical problem, but just a thing that I noticed. The camera at one point moves through the light. I used an image map to make the letters stream out light, but here's the thing. When the camera moves through the light, you can see divisions of the image map. I guess I could explain it as if I were to make a bunch of four-sided polygons; all facing the camera, and parallel to each other. Each one seperated on the Z-axis to the camera a little bit. Each polygon has the same texture, so when you look at it from a distance, it looks like a volumetric light, but up close, you can see the "fakeness". I was just wondering if this was a defect, or is it the way Lightwave render's volumetric lights that have image maps applied to them. Thank you.

sannyasi
09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Sounds like you had the quality down, try turning it up a bit and see if that helps.

Depends what version of LW you were using, older versions had a samples setting in the light options, (may have been through steamer back in 5.5) since 6.0 its the quality setting of the light in the volumetric light options.

Exper
09-25-2003, 12:22 PM
sannyasi...
are you using "Enable Texture" option?
All your Textures, in this case, must have te "World Coordinates" modes on, this prevent quite all problems with Volumetric Lights!

Give it a try!

Bye.

Exper
09-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Sorry... forgot the attach!

It clearly seems a bug in the evaluation of the Texture expecially evident when you have the "Texture Only" option ON (like in this case).

Bye.