PDA

View Full Version : Help With Rope Animation

Michael Lizak
06-16-2010, 09:21 AM
I have a rope that I'm running an animated texture displacement through to get it to wiggle a bit. I want the hook to follow the ropes wiggle but stay rigid. How would you guys set something like this up?

nickdigital
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I believe the dpkit node motion should work for this.

WilliamVaughan
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd use cloth or Soft dynamics and Hardlink. I have a video that show exactly how to do this kind of setup in the 24 hour video collection on the LightWave site

Ztreem
06-16-2010, 01:25 PM
If the rope has UV's you could place the hook with the anchor motion plugin to the rope.

Michael Lizak
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I got the hook to move the way I wanted to with your help. It looks like the "Anchor" motion plugin would have worked, but it is not available in the Mac UB version. I downloaded the dbkit, but the node editor is still a bit mysterious to me, so I moved on. The clothFX with hard link did the trick. I made the rope a cloth and told the entire surface to be fixed. The hook then stayed rigid and moved the applied texture displacement.

William, I found LW ClothFX to be so unruly that the flag animation that goes with this rope was created in Blender. It was much more predictable and natural looking. I new nothing about Blender but produced a flag animation much quicker than I did in LW. What is your evaluation of LW cloth?