PDA

View Full Version : What mouse do you use?

Tails
09-14-2003, 07:25 PM
I've got a Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer (won it off Microsoft a little while ago), but it's really annoying sometimes in Lightwave and graphic programs.

The problem is that I have to move the mouse a little to 'wake it up' all the time, and when trying to resize or move an object to exactly the right spot, I keep going a little over and such... so I've decided I really need to sell this one and get a different mouse.

What mouse (or other input device) do you use for Lightwave?

Rich
09-14-2003, 10:18 PM
I use the Microsoft Intelimouse Optical but not wireless and I love it. I once had a logitech wireless mouse and I hated it. It always seemed to lag a little bit for some reason. I tried updating the drivers but that didn't help. I am wondering if they need to work on wireless mouse technology a little more.

hrgiger
09-14-2003, 11:52 PM
I use an optical mouse also(not wireless). I've never had any issue with it. The great thing about the optical is no parts to get gunked up. I remember when I had a regular trackball mouse, I was constantly pulling out the trackball and wiping lint off of the sensors inside.

Tails
09-15-2003, 12:15 AM
I might get a wired Microsoft Intelimouse Optical instead then.

Do you guys use drawing pads for anything too?

WizCraker
09-15-2003, 12:17 AM
I use a Wacom Graphire2 for paint stuff.

colkai
09-15-2003, 04:27 AM
I use a Microsoft Intellipoint Optical.
No way could I go back to a 'normal' ball mouse.
None of that sticky, bang-it-on-the-desk, move you end up doing when the ball gets gunked up :D

These days, there really is no sane reason for not using optical over a ball. Kinda like broadband vs 56k modems really. ;)

I have a Wacom Graphire for when I want some freeform stuff, when I finally learn to draw better than a 2 year old that it :p

Weetos
09-15-2003, 04:58 AM
WizCraker : I was thinking about getting a graphire2, but I was hoping it could be used not only for painting... can it be used for modeling and layout stuff? If it's not more convenient/efficient then a classic mouse, I don't think I should get one

Any comments about the pros/cons ?

Does anybody use a trackball with LW? any comments about it?

In other words, I'm looking for any pointing system that could greatly improve my workflow and that works fine with LW

Thanks

meshmaster
09-15-2003, 12:03 PM
pretty nice... I usually don't use it in modeller, unless of course I'm using the pen tool or my hand is getting tired of clicking the normal mouse... Also, the mouse that comes with the tablet is a lot more precise than normal mice are... so that alone makes it worth it.

Matt
09-15-2003, 12:17 PM
I use this little fella . . .

Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?countryid=18&languageid=1&page=products/details&contentid=4998&crid=3&detail=2)

Bought it initially for better accuracy in FPS games, but the higher accuracy would also benefit CAD, or so I thought . . .

Pros:
very comfortable
two optical sensors
800 dpi
more programmable buttons than you can shake a stick at
looks nice!

Cons:
mouse settings have no effect in some software (inc. LightWave)
doesn't like surfaces that are even slightly reflective, it suffers occasional 'pointer jitter'
haven't noticed any difference in accuracy in FPS games

so basically all the features I bought it for don't really work very well with anything I use! I guess I bought it more on looks though, and was duped by the "MX Optical Engine" bumpf!

Best avoided IMO.

spinn
09-15-2003, 02:13 PM
i use a logitech mouseman wired with dual sensors and a intous 2 a5 drawing board, which i rarley use in LW.

i dunno why the mouse got two sensors, but i guess it gives more accuracy. i love the mouse and i would really recomend it since it is a good mouse, yet very affordable. chers

liquidpope
09-15-2003, 02:35 PM
I do Autocad during the day, and Lightwave by night.
For both, I use a plain ol' 30 dollar Logitech TrackMan.
I'm behind these mice 16 to 18 hours a day, and I couldn't be happier with them. The best thing about the track ball you only move your fingers. None of that silly "whole arm" nonsense. (sounds too much like "exercise") The mouse itself never moves, which is perfect for me because of my limited desk space.
Yep, I love the track-ball, and I never looked back.

Tails
09-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah since you only move your fingers on the trackballs, I wonder if they are must better for your wrists... it's been a while since I've read up on that type of stuff, probably should again soon.

Although if you went and used someone elses computer that didn't have a trackball, would you still be able to use a regular mouse ok?

liquidpope
09-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I don't have a problem with "regular" mouses.
Other people that come to my desk though are always pushing my trackball all over the place, cussing it the whole time.
Once they play with it for a bit, they're hooked.
And yes, it gets gooped up a tad. Once a week or so.
Yank out the ball, clear the debris, back in business. 12 seconds.

richpr
09-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I use the MS Trackball Explorer... it's optical too... I prefer a trackball over a mouse... less moving about on your (real) desktop. I also use a WACOM 405 drawing pad (I wish it was a bit bigger)... I use and mix both at the same time depending on what needs to be done...

Extent
09-16-2003, 09:31 PM
I use an original MS intellimous explorer. Their new hardware revision sucks tho, I hate the feel on the new one, but the one I've got is my favorite ever, I dont know what I'm gonna do when it breaks. I've got an Aiptek 9x12 tablet that I use for photoshop and video editing, but when I've got money to throw around I want to get a Wacom, the aiptek has some sensitivity problems and the wacom has better features.

I used to use a trackball all the time, and I prefer one for audio editing, but for general computer use and graphics I prefer a mouse. I always put the sensitivity up so you can move from one side of the screen to the other with one whole move of the wrist, so I rest my arm on the table and push the mouse around with mostly my thumb and ring finger. I can push the pointer across all 3 of my screens without picking up my hand but I still am able to move the pointer only a single pixel over if I wish.