PDA

View Full Version : How to model a coliseum?

Triodin
06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Anyone have any ideas where to start?

shrox
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Swipe one from the SketchUp warehouse. It's a start.

biliousfrog
06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
I'd start with some reference

Triodin
06-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Genius Shrox - checking out 3d warehouse now.

I guess my biggest challenge is - if I model it myself - getting the arches to seamlessly connect in the oval / circle. Would co rail clone work?

http://www2.norwalk-city.k12.oh.us/wordpress/apcalc0910/files/2010/02/Coliseum.jpg

http://www.crystalinks.com/colosseumtop.jpg

Nangleator
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Lazy man's technique would be to model one tileable segment, make a straight array, with merge points on, and the appropriate number of segments, bend the sucker 360°, weld the ends together, and use Magnet to achieve the oblate shape.

gordonrobb
06-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeh, I would do it as a circle then stretch it.

Triodin
06-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I truly am in the presence of gods. Many thanks all!!

prometheus
06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Lazy man's technique would be to model one tileable segment, make a straight array, with merge points on, and the appropriate number of segments, bend the sucker 360°, weld the ends together, and use Magnet to achieve the oblate shape.

Yeah something like that, I think I tried model a similar type of model and I modeled on valve section and used a radial array to get an almost complete circle of valves, I closed them by selecting polyedges of the valve and used the bridge tool for that.

that brings me to a reminder of that I sure would like to have a bridge tool that can automaticle bridge polys close to eachother or by a defined axis, or through a spline guide.

Michael

prometheus
06-16-2010, 01:02 AM
heres a simple sample object how it could look like.

not a big scale, and just base valves arrayed.
You could increase valve sections or make them wider to get them
closer to each other and then weld or bridge them together.

In this sample halfe of the valves are bridges and the other left open for you to see.

Michael

Danner
06-16-2010, 02:21 AM
I would start with a cylinder and bevel it into the general shape.

The cylinder needs to be made with the numeric pannel so it's dead center and the number of sides would be the same as the number of desired arches times x. x being how high rez I need the object (1-6).

Once happy with the shape, I'd cut in the arches into one of the segments (a segment would be x polygons wide), copy that segment to a new layer and radial clone it.

prometheus
06-16-2010, 05:07 AM
I would start with a cylinder and bevel it into the general shape.

The cylinder needs to be made with the numeric pannel so it's dead center and the number of sides would be the same as the number of desired arches times x. x being how high rez I need the object (1-6).

Once happy with the shape, I'd cut in the arches into one of the segments (a segment would be x polygons wide), copy that segment to a new layer and radial clone it.

wouldn´t that be a little problematic If each valv/arch sections needs
a lot of details like bevels, ornaments on facade etc, as opposed to cloning
a complete detailed section?

Michael

Danner
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
yeah that is what I meant actually. work on one segment then clone it. but the steps before were to make sure it fits nicely.