PDA

View Full Version : New modeling tool - Quadpanels, scifi detailer

jameswillmott
06-15-2010, 08:53 AM
I’d like to announce the v1 release of Quadpanels, my fast scifi mesh detailer for LightWave Modeler, v9.0 and up.

The plugin was created as a solution to the problem of adding nurnies/greebles to a surface. Adding random ‘bits’ to a surface can result in unrealistic geometry including deep intersections where some geometry is hidden under others etc. Quadpanels uses an iterative subdivision scheme to try to add details without overlaps and can maintain proportions of the various detail elements. It also generates extra surfaces as required to make generic detailing fast and easy. There's an evaluation version online at www.liberty3d.com/quadpanels as well as a 20 minute demonstration video.

Evaluation version is limited to working with 6000 poly meshes, bugs you for a serial number often, only works with single polygon selections ( as opposed to detailing any number of polys at once ) , and occasionally doesn't do what it's asked.

http://208.109.87.135/artists/videos/james/postimage.jpg

An image by one of the testers -
http://mentalfish.com/uploads/DeathStar.jpg

phillydee
06-15-2010, 09:04 AM
heh... that's one sick piece of work dude.

shrox
06-15-2010, 09:05 AM
That's just wrong, greebling should mean suffering. But you've taken that away, sounds good to me. What are the limitations on the eval version?

jameswillmott
06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Evaluation version is limited to working with 6000 poly meshes, bugs you for a serial number often, only works with single polygon selections ( as opposed to detailing any number of polys at once ) , and occasionally doesn't do what it's asked.

shrox
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I just tried it, the interface is above par, giving you a thumbnail image of the resulting option you chose. It works well in 64 bit! Very nice, you just might get my money.

jameswillmott
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks shrox, that's nice of you to be so complimentary!

shrox
06-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks shrox, that's nice of you to be so complimentary!

Well sure! It's good work!

WilliamVaughan
06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Killer tool! Seems to be pretty rock solid and you cant beat that price for what it delivers. I'm currently working on a SyFy project at work that this is sure to save hours of work on.

Big Thanx for the sweet tool!

geothefaust
06-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Nice! Killer James. I'll give 'er a spin today. :)

Hieron
06-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Good going James!

Currently downloading the video with a whopping 20 kb/s, but the first minute of it looked great :)

JeffrySG
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
That's some pretty slick stuff there, James! Nice work!!

Lewis
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Whoo, that's interesting tool james, excellent work from what I see on video. Now go and make another one but for CORE :D ;).

JamesCurtis
06-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Whoo, that's interesting tool james, excellent work from what I see on video. Now go and make another one but for CORE :D ;).

:agree:

jameswillmott
06-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I may just do that when time permits, would be good for stresstesting Core's mesh handling. :)

JamesCurtis
06-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Played with the demo a bit, and I must say that it is sweet!! Hopefully I can buy it in a few weeks after I get payed by a client.

calilifestyle
06-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I'll bite once i get home and test it out

borkus
06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Congrats, James. Glad to see that there are still people producing stuff for good 'ol lightwave.

adk
06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Great work James :thumbsup:
Love the fact that you even kept the "housecap" folks in mind when you made this :)

Will definitely grab a copy & if you were in Melb. I'd shout you a beer or two :D

scratch33
06-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Very cool tool james.
I think i'm going to buy it.

how about adding uv support?:thumbsup:

jameswillmott
06-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Very cool tool james.

Thanks, what a good idea!

digefxgrp
06-16-2010, 02:15 AM
I too will be picking up a copy of this plugin once I finish the project I’m involved with. Currently I have no machines available to play on :( so I’ll have to wait a few more weeks.

Looks like you’re off to fantastic start though. :thumbsup:

There are a few things I’d love to see in future versions:

-An option that allows the user to set a minimum and maximum amount for “projection” height.

-A user-definable minimum and maximum amount for the micro bevels…or at least a single amount.

-An option load geometry from a given folder. I have a huge digital parts box (2000+ and growing) and it would be awesome to be able to access that for the greeble.

-Auto weight map creation. By using a gradient in conjunction with weight maps, you can easily create a lot of color/diffuse/spec variance while keeping the number of surface names to a minimum.

-Auto UV Map creation.

-For those types of details like cylinders, hemispheres, etc, a low, medium, and high setting would be nice so you can dictate the l.o.d. needed. We’ve found for film work, especially the 4k (rendered) stuff we’re currently doing, nickling becomes very apparent. Good settings for a cylinder, for example, would be 20-24 for low, 36 or 40 for medium, and at least 60 for high.

I’m a huge fan of Tom Hudson’s “Greeble” plugin for 3DS Max. Even though his doesn’t offer near the various types of detailing yours does, the thing I do love is you can set a minimum/maximum height plus a bevel inset amount for the overall beveled plates...a minimum/maximum “coverage” amount of the “secondary” smaller nurnie details... and a maximum amount that the secondary detail will extrude. The other sweet thing is it’s all interactive and you get real time visual feedback on what you’re doing by just moving the sliders. Hopefully CORE will allow plugins to have this kind of real-time interaction.

Thanks again for creating this cool new tool and I can't wait to be able to start using it.

Hieron
06-16-2010, 05:16 AM
How's using a bevel shader instead of actually bevelling them?
EdgeFX from Happy Digital or similar..

My first bet would be to have no microbevels at all on these..

ps: EdgeFX ramps up the GI calculation time alot here in big scenes and may crash them. (so I bake without EdgeFX and turn on at rendertime). Just a heads up, took me long to find the cause.

Andyjaggy
06-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow! Where have you been for the last 5 years you wonderful plugin.

I now have 2 reasons to continue to keep Lightwave installed on my machine, rope editor plugin and this.

Eagle66
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Very cool tool james.

Yes, very cool!! But i ask me also after the Video - how do you Texture this Objetct with 1000+ surfaces :stumped:

chco2
06-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Just bought the plugin and this is going to safe me much time!

One thingie:
I have a 4Gb RAM machine, but I do get an out of memory warning with almost anything I do. Best to go poly by poly, faster than loop selecting 20 polys @ once. Later today I will be using it more intensive and will provide feedback.

Thanks for a great plugin at a great price!

Charly

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Just bought the plugin and this is going to safe me much time!

One thingie:
I have a 4Gb RAM machine, but I do get an out of memory warning with almost anything I do. Best to go poly by poly, faster than loop selecting 20 polys @ once. Later today I will be using it more intensive and will provide feedback.

Thanks for a great plugin at a great price!

Charly

Charly,

The out of memory error is just a warning, detailing too many polygons at once can lock up Modeler, or it can take so long that Modeler becomes unresponsive for a long time. You may find that you can detail 20 at a time without difficulty.

I find it best just to do a few polys at a time, just to be safe.

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Yes, very cool!! But i ask me also after the Video - how do you Texture this Objetct with 1000+ surfaces :stumped:

It doesn't generate thousands of surfaces, thankfully, at most about 10-12.

scratch33
06-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi, I have bought a license. Very cool tools realy.

If we have bug or suggestion to submit, we write in this thread, or in private or ... ?

Thank you again for these good plug.:thumbsup:

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Features and suggestions, I guess go public, others can comment. Bugs, it's up to you, email is probably best, I'm guaranteed to get the report...

JeffrySG
06-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Just a little test scene I threw together to test out the plugin! :)

colkai
06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Worthy of a Dr Who space station corridor! :D

chco2
06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
This plugin would have been handy 2 speed modeling challenges ago (scifi corridors) ;)

phillydee
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
was gonna say, "Bring back the Sci-Fi corridor speed challenge"

JeffrySG
06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
This plugin would have been handy 2 speed modeling challenges ago (scifi corridors) ;)

was gonna say, "Bring back the Sci-Fi corridor speed challenge"
lol, I was thinking the same thing...

Worthy of a Dr Who space station corridor! :D
thx!

UnCommonGrafx
06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Hmmm,
Jim,
You may have taught this old dog a new trick...

Thanks for the plugin. As well as your other efforts and endeavors.
Please please please, implement uv support sooner than later. But I can see that 3DC takes care of things well enough... but still...

Babblement done.

Philbert
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Hmm that's odd, the video seems to be all white with just audio.

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 04:46 PM

That looks cool! Nice lighting...

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Hmm that's odd, the video seems to be all white with just audio.

That's not good, what version of QT are you using? It uses MP4 compression, if that helps?

OlaHaldor
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I right-clicked and downloaded it. The shadowbox (or whatever it is) didn't show the whole image. And I'm glad I did, it downloaded pretty slow... 15 minutes, and I'm on a 25mbit connection.

Anyway, there's no mention about requirements or support - does it work on Mac UB? 9.6 / 9.6.1 ?

Philbert
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
That's not good, what version of QT are you using? It uses MP4 compression, if that helps?

7.6.6. Other QT videos seem to play fine. I see there's an update. Installing...

Edit: Still no luck but I haven't rebooted yet. It works fine if I just copy the URL into QuickTime Player. Looks pretty good so far (not done watching yet)

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I right-clicked and downloaded it. The shadowbox (or whatever it is) didn't show the whole image. And I'm glad I did, it downloaded pretty slow... 15 minutes, and I'm on a 25mbit connection.

Anyway, there's no mention about requirements or support - does it work on Mac UB? 9.6 / 9.6.1 ?

Sorry, yes it works on anything, it's an Lscript.

I've updated the post, thanks!

IgnusFast
06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Neat plugin, but it doesn't take very many polys to run a machine with 12GB of RAM completely dry... :(

jameswillmott
06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Neat plugin, but it doesn't take very many polys to run a machine with 12GB of RAM completely dry... :(

Yes, it's very easy to add a huge number of polys without much effort. I've already adjusted some of how it works so that it's more efficient processing polygons, and as a side effect you can watch it filling in the geometry poly by poly.

JeffrySG
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
James, just as an idea maybe for a pro-version or v2 or a separate plugin, but it seem to me that this plugin could easily be turned into a city / building generator. Kind of random height buildings and then basic windows built into them. Seems like there might be a lot of similar code between the two. :)

shrox
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
James, just as an idea maybe for a pro-version or v2 or a separate plugin, but it seem to me that this plugin could easily be turned into a city / building generator. Kind of random height buildings and then basic windows built into them. Seems like there might be a lot of similar code between the two. :)

I had a similar thought.

jameswillmott
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM

:D

The funny thing is, it USED to be a city generator and it turned into a greebler... maybe I should 'devolve' a copy back again?

UnCommonGrafx
06-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Ummmmmm,
YEAH!

Philbert
06-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Heck, devolve it and you can have two products to sell instead of one. :)

JeffrySG
06-18-2010, 05:15 PM
:D

The funny thing is, it USED to be a city generator and it turned into a greebler... maybe I should 'devolve' a copy back again?

lol, that's too funny. Well I think it devolved just fine then! :)
And I think you've hit a good target audience with the right price point.

...either way there are so many possibilities with this as a base!

GregMalick
06-18-2010, 05:39 PM
can we substitute custom greebles for the supplied ones?

Philbert
06-18-2010, 06:17 PM

I can't answer for sure of course but from what I saw in the video no you can't because it's not just placing them, there are options for editing them as they are placed, like adding microbevels and other non-generic changes.

IgnusFast
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Yes, it's very easy to add a huge number of polys without much effort. I've already adjusted some of how it works so that it's more efficient processing polygons, and as a side effect you can watch it filling in the geometry poly by poly.

Is that version going to be downloadable soon? Just wondering...

jameswillmott
06-18-2010, 10:58 PM

You will be able to soon.

The custom greebles are procedural, so they aren't just scaled to fit a quad, but generated inside it, if you wanted to know the reason why I started out that way.

But lots of people have been asking if they can use custom greebles, so I'm implementing them. I'll let you all know how I go.

jameswillmott
06-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Is that version going to be downloadable soon? Just wondering...

In maybe a week or two it will, possibly along with the custom greebles option included.

JamesCurtis
06-19-2010, 02:04 PM
That's good news!! Will definitely consider a buy at that time.

GregMalick
06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
In maybe a week or two it will, possibly along with the custom greebles option included.

Will that be a free upgrade?

calilifestyle
06-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope so. lol

jameswillmott
06-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Will that be a free upgrade?

I would expect so, wouldn't be fair to charge for a new version a week after releasing the first.

adamgibson
06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey James,

Great work!!! I tested James's Plugin and it's awesome for Sci-Fi detail work. I highly recommend this to anyone who does Sci-Fi Modeling and is looking for a way to speed up their detailing work-flow.

Look forward to the new updated versions!!!

Adam Gibson
(Lightwave and ZBrush Instructor)
www.learn3dsoftware.com

daforum
06-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Just downloaded the evaluation version and I have to say, I am very impressed with this very cool plugin.

erikals
06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
...But lots of people have been asking if they can use custom greebles,
so I'm implementing them. I'll let you all know how I go.

http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

jameswillmott
06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
A quick note, I was using Payloadz to handle payments but my account isn't working properly, sorry if anyone has had any inconvenience with it.

jameswillmott
06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
OK, I've implemented the basic functionality for using your own nurnies.

If you select a series of nurnies in the background layers and choose 'Layers' from the panel type drop down, it will randomly distribute those background layers in place of the procedural nurnies.

What sort of controls do you want to see for it? Do you want to mix layers and procedural nurnies? Let me know how you want it to work. There is also an issue if the aspect ratio of the current panel doesn't match the nurnie, just scale it to fit? Fit it and maintain aspect?

When this is released, it will be a free upgrade to those who have Quadpanels already. There are some other features I want to put in there for you all too.

erikals
06-23-2010, 02:38 AM
in many cases i'd like to just use my own nurnies, so a no mix option would be good.

alternatively, an option to tick off what kind of nurnies you'd like to use for 'random'

it'd be great if it stored (copied) selection points as well (not sure if it currently does)
(selection points could then be used to add optional objects, bolts and such)
(or other stuff, such as random pick of selection points to create pipes, could be useful)

BigHache
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
This is a really incredible plug-in, I just haven't had a need for something like this though I'm thinking about getting it just to support third party dev.

Ever thought about doing an edge-based rivet plug-in? Unless there already is one I'm not aware of…

jameswillmott
06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
This is a really incredible plug-in, I just haven't had a need for something like this though I'm thinking about getting it just to support third party dev.

Ever thought about doing an edge-based rivet plug-in? Unless there already is one I'm not aware of…

Thanks for the compliments!

Edge based rivet plug? Sure, why not. :)

calilifestyle
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
nice can't wait for the update

JeffrySG
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
If you select a series of nurnies in the background layers and choose 'Layers' from the panel type drop down, it will randomly distribute those background layers in place of the procedural nurnies.

What sort of controls do you want to see for it? Do you want to mix layers and procedural nurnies? Let me know how you want it to work. There is also an issue if the aspect ratio of the current panel doesn't match the nurnie, just scale it to fit? Fit it and maintain aspect?

Is there any way you could have the plugin read the user made nurnies from a folder on the HD? It seems that this would be much easier to manage. We could drop all of our nurnies into a folder and the plugin would look there for them. Not sure if that is much harder to code though? (and I guess it would automatically use all of them but I suppose we could just take out the ones we don't want to use or just pick a different folder, so we could have a folder for panel types, or a folder for bolts, scifi, mechanical, car parts, etc)

As far as aspect ratio - I would proportionally scale to fit as many nurnies would not look good if they were stretched - this might be the safest way to go. If there was an option for both that might be the best but obviously more coding work.

in many cases i'd like to just use my own nurnies, so a no mix option would be good.
alternatively, an option to tick off what kind of nurnies you'd like to use for 'random'
:agree: I think there should be a no-mix option and it would also be great to have a random option but where you choose which ones you want included - from the procedural and the user made.

Agreed. I don't really do stuff like this for work but especially with the planned update, I think I'll be getting this one. :thumbsup: I'm happy to support this type of work!

jameswillmott
06-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Is there any way you could have the plugin read the user made nurnies from a folder on the HD? It seems that this would be much easier to manage. We could drop all of our nurnies into a folder and the plugin would look there for them. Not sure if that is much harder to code though?

No idea, but it's a good idea anyway, I'll see if I can do it.

As far as aspect ratio - I would proportionally scale to fit as many nurnies would not look good if they were stretched - this might be the safest way to go. If there was an option for both that might be the best but obviously more coding work.

Maintaining aspect wasn't too difficult in the end, I put a switch in there for it.

:agree: I think there should be a no-mix option and it would also be great to have a random option but where you choose which ones you want included - from the procedural and the user made.

I've put in a slider so you can mix proportions of layers and procedurals, or, just use layer or procedurals exclusively.

erikals
06-24-2010, 06:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7016DOBtWK4

jameswillmott
06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100892&page=14

Neat, thanks for the link.

BigHache
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Indeed, thank you! :thumbsup:

Matt
06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
No debate, purchased.

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
No debate, purchased.

ditto! just purchased! This will be fun to use!

GregMalick
06-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Is there any way you could have the plugin read the user made nurnies from a folder on the HD? It seems that this would be much easier to manage. We could drop all of our nurnies into a folder and the plugin would look there for them. Not sure if that is much harder to code though? (and I guess it would automatically use all of them but I suppose we could just take out the ones we don't want to use or just pick a different folder, so we could have a folder for panel types, or a folder for bolts, scifi, mechanical, car parts, etc)

Aloha JamesW:

I believe you said this is LScript.

from LScript Reference p.7

getfile
getfile() gives LScript an interface for selecting files. When
you need to let the user specify a disk file, getfile() posts a fileselection
dialog box, and returns the file name (including path
information) that the user selects. If the user cancels, getfile()
will return nil.
All of getfile()’s parameters are optional. You can specify a
title for the dialog box, a file name mask, and even a default
directory.
getfile([title // string; dialog box title
[,mask // string; file mask to use
// (can include wildcards)
[,dir // string; directory path
// in which to begin.
[,reqType]]]] // boolean; 0 = save, 1 = open

matchfiles
The matchfiles() command scans a directory for files and
folders that match a pattern. matchfiles() returns an array with
files that match the given path and search parameters.
path1 = matchfiles(“c:\\”, “*.txt”);

matchdirs
The matchdirs() command returns an array with folders that
match the given search parameters.
path1 = matchdirs(“c:\\”, “*.*”);

getfile() would be the simplest
matchfiles() would allow a simple implementation of a dropdown for selection.

Your choice on which works best with your script.

oh - if this is a plugin, I can give you some C code to accomplish the same.

Greg

p.s. I bought your plugin. I gotta support us developers.

dballesg
06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Since 9.5 there is a getfolder and a control added to LScript:

From the LightWave 3D v9.5 Open Beta Build 1428 notes:

Added the getfolder() and ctlfoldername() functions to LScript to support the Package_Scene system.

David

jameswillmott
06-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Since 9.5 there is a getfolder and a control added to LScript:

From the LightWave 3D v9.5 Open Beta Build 1428 notes:

Added the getfolder() and ctlfoldername() functions to LScript to support the Package_Scene system.

Thank you! Custom nurnies in a folder coming up...

jrandom
06-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Nice! I have a question about your lights: I'm working on a scene that has a similar lighting scheme but it uses 1/r^2 falloff area lights that take forever to render and the polygons representing the light surface get so bright they cause horrible specular and reflecting artifacts in the GI solver.

How did you light this particular scene and what technique are you using the geometry/material that represents the visible surface of the lights?

JeffrySG
06-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Nice! I have a question about your lights: I'm working on a scene that has a similar lighting scheme but it uses 1/r^2 falloff area lights that take forever to render and the polygons representing the light surface get so bright they cause horrible specular and reflecting artifacts in the GI solver.

How did you light this particular scene and what technique are you using the geometry/material that represents the visible surface of the lights?

I didn't use any lights for this scene - it was all luminous polys. Here's a wireframe. But I had one poly at the front of the tunnel, one at the end, and then a luminous cylinder that ran down the middle that was invisible to the camera but it had a color blend on it. It was rendered using FG interpolated with 3 bounces around 200% intensity IIRC. Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more info. :)

ps. I used a linear workflow and rendered to an .hdr file, too.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85915&d=1277519447

jrandom
06-30-2010, 07:36 PM
... and then a luminous cylinder that ran down the middle that was invisible to the camera but it had a color blend on it.

That is a neat trick. :)

What was the color blend for?

JeffrySG
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
That is a neat trick. :)

What was the color blend for?

well, the color acts like a gel over a light, so the cylinder down the middle starts red then turns purple and then blue at the end - and the light emitting from it is that same color. I didn't really need the front and end lights (polys) but I added them for more control.

here's another textured wireframe...

jrandom
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I just bought QuadPanels. This thing is so much fun! The only major drawback I've hit is that when you choose Random you are unable to have it pick from a subset of the full list (and I can get around this by generating multimeshes of various nurnies and then feeding those files back into QuadPanels).

Totally worth the $20.

Obviously, the first thing to do with a nurnie generator is to see how many times one can crash modeler by running out of memory.

JeffrySG
07-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Obviously, the first thing to do with a nurnie generator is to see how many times one can crash modeler by running out of memory.

That looks cool! And you're right, although I haven't crashed modeler yet, but some of the operations have taken a very long time.

I just posted a new render in the gallery where I used the plugin using a custom set of models that I built.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110315

jrandom
07-02-2010, 02:34 PM
That looks cool! And you're right, although I haven't crashed modeler yet, but some of the operations have taken a very long time.

The downside of still running 32-bit Lightwave is that it is so much easier to run out of memory. I really need to get switched over to HC.

I just posted a new render in the gallery where I used the plugin using a custom set of models that I built.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110315

Nice! How'd you do the lens-flare lights? Luxigons? (Lumigons? I can never get that straight.)

- Brad

JeffrySG
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
The downside of still running 32-bit Lightwave is that it is so much easier to run out of memory. I really need to get switched over to HC.

Nice! How'd you do the lens-flare lights? Luxigons? (Lumigons? I can never get that straight.)

- Brad

I'm only running with 4gb of ram but I'm still using 32bit LW too now. Still no crashes yet although I've been using the plugin on small chunks of polys.

Thanks, I did all of the flares in post in photoshop. You have more flexibility then. I just rendered a bunch of different flares on a black background and then I just pick the one I want (screen mode) and scale it and adjust the color as needed. :)

jrandom
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Ah, got it.

I started getting out-of-memory crashes even when doing one panel at a time. The file is only 27MB so w/ 4GB of RAM I'm not sure how I was hitting the memory limit. This was about as far as I could get before I couldn't add any more geometry via QuadPanels:

jameswillmott
07-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Ah, got it.

I started getting out-of-memory crashes even when doing one panel at a time. The file is only 27MB so w/ 4GB of RAM I'm not sure how I was hitting the memory limit. This was about as far as I could get before I couldn't add any more geometry via QuadPanels:

Nice images. I'm working on the memory issue, hopefully I can find a solution.