PDA

View Full Version : (maybe off-topic..) DVD Output software...

Maxx
09-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Quick question - I've got a video input breakout box that a friend of mind gave me, but apparently it doesn't deal with output... needless to say it's tough to do a reel to VHS, even if I knew what people wanted from a modeling reel. So my question is this - what extremely cheap software (preferably free, as my income from the latest web site is going toward the LW 8 upgrade :D ) can produce good results on DVD? I am planning on burning to DVD, then recording to VHS if possible...

If there are any sites I've neglected to visit in my search, please go ahead and post them here - I've missed them in the search so far and would appreciate any input.

Beamtracer
09-14-2003, 05:18 PM
If you've already created your demo reel (ie, it is edited and looks how you want it) you could ask a friend with a Mac to do it. New Apple Macintosh's all come with the iDVD application included, and it wouldn't take very long to encode and burn your existing video to DVD.

Regarding the digitization of VHS:

Many mini-DV format home video cameras have an analog input. You can connect your VHS deck in one end, and they'll spit out Firewire on the other end.

Elmar Moelzer
09-14-2003, 05:47 PM
I think the best DVD- encoding- software for PC is Tmpg right now.
There is a 30 day- trial available online at:
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html
It is pretty fast and produces great output.
Earlier versions were able to produce normal Mpeg1s even after the trial- period expired, which was pretty cool as this is the best tool for Mpeg1, that I know.
CU
Elmar

Maxx
09-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Beamtracer - I do have a friend that runs mac, now that you mention it..., so that is very probably an extremely viable option I quite honestly had not thought about...

Elmar - Thanks for the link! Checking the program out right now!

Rich
09-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Also another good software that I use is ulead's Dvd workshop. They have a 30 day trial you can download. You can check it out at http://www.ulead.com/dws/runme.htm