PDA

View Full Version : Official Discussion thread for LightWave Newsletter JUNE 2010

TheDeacon
06-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Announcement is HERE (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109878)

discuss away!

3DBob
06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
i think link on newsletter links to April discussion

3DBob

GraphXs
06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
yes, the April newletter came up on the June link. Another great Newsletter! Keep it up Newtek!!!

TheDeacon
06-14-2010, 11:13 AM
fixed! thanks for catching that!

monovich
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
nice newsletter.
so Layout for hardcore members has been updated with linear workflow and specific openGL preview sizes? That sounds mighty tasty.

pixelinfected
06-14-2010, 11:51 AM
i hope the project of anaglyph preview is only at start of its development.
to build a good stereoscopic shot we need to move more than interocular and parallax.
i hope newtek add the ability to use two cameras, and setup anaglyph preview from two cameras, more freedom of work and setup.

near objects with common parallax way not work fine, cause noise to viewer...

Kuzey
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Mmmm...still no news on what the whole change means in terms of Core??

Wasn't liner work flow already in Layout and then broken (Matt was going to do a video demo at the time)....now it's fixed and is working as it should??

Kuzey

zarti
06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
... and i wondered (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1008891&postcount=26) ' why they didn't put the pigs to gallery ( ?? )' during its first re-make ...

KillMe
06-14-2010, 07:41 PM
anyone else think that maybe hardcore members should get to see and hear stuff before everyone else?

as for the features themselves.... hmmm would rather seen some tangible improvements in cores modeling toolset

Matt
06-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Matt was going to do a video demo at the time)....now it's fixed and is working as it should??

Thanks for reminding me, I did one for LWF in LightWave 9.6, which in my mind made me think I'd done it already!

Kuzey
06-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks for reminding me, I did one for LWF in LightWave 9.6, which in my mind made me think I'd done it already!

Anytime :thumbsup:

BTW...how are you liking this new implementation of liner workflow...is it easy to use, or can it do with more improvements ??

Kuzey

zarti
06-15-2010, 05:10 AM
anyone else think that maybe hardcore members should get to see and hear stuff before everyone else?

me !

this is the first thing i thought yesterday when i read the newsletter .

wanted to say something in HC section , but it seemed useless ' there ' .

apparently no one " noticed that " or does not prefer to speak .

this is the second time " it is happening " , so as a HC member ; i'm disappointed but this is becoming normal ' here ' .

linksys
06-15-2010, 07:04 AM
me !

this is the first thing i thought yesterday when i read the newsletter .

wanted to say something in HC section , but it seemed useless ' there ' .

apparently no one " noticed that " or does not prefer to speak .

this is the second time " it is happening " , so as a HC member ; i'm disappointed but this is becoming normal ' here ' .

You are not alone....

3dWannabe
06-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Here's my 2 cents.

It's very hard to buy something when you don't know what it is. I have no real idea what CORE is, and I've spent some time reading thru some of these monster threads.

All this 'secrecy' stuff is silly and counter productive. If 'secrecy' were to protect against competitors (is that the reason?), I don't think it would be hard for one to set up a valid account?

Open up the boards (maybe read only) to everyone NOT in CORE, and put out lots of tutorials on the new features.

If the linear workflow and everything else are the 'bees knees', the decision to purchase becomes simple.

But, Newtek should consider making the boards r/w to anyone, as the folks who aren't CORE members who contribute, might become CORE members if their ideas and suggestions prove useful enough to implement.

TheDeacon
06-15-2010, 11:37 AM

HardCORE members receive updates from Chuck and Rob- with tons of detail ... plus, you get to actually use the features once they are implemented.

KillMe
06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
maybe but the updates failed to mention anything about what was in the newsletter - so if its ready enough to tell everyone about why not tell us hardcore subscribers about it a bit in advance

geothefaust
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
...And that's precisely why I got a refund. :foreheads

DOH!

Chuck
06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
maybe but the updates failed to mention anything about what was in the newsletter - so if its ready enough to tell everyone about why not tell us hardcore subscribers about it a bit in advance

There was in fact nothing mentioned in the newsletter that was not known to the HardCORE group by a formal communication at least 2 weeks before the newsletter was issued, and the linear workflow and some other aspects the HardCORE group has had access to for months now. Any HardCORE members with complaints about HardCORE communications, please post them in the HardCORE discussion sections, or they will be moved there by the moderation staff.

hrgiger
06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
So Chuck, who is handling the newsletters now? Is that the Deacon(David)? I understand BeeVee isn't working for Newtek any longer?

Paul_Boland
06-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Why is Layout getting a mention here??? I thought CORE was going to take the two Lightwave packages; Modeller and Layout; and intergrate them into the one software package. While I've got use to Lightwaves current two-packages approach, I was looking forward to CORE making it a solid one software package deal.

And I have to agree with other posts above, I still am very much in the dark as to what CORE means for Lightwave. Besides a UI update and a few tweeks, CORE isn't the big Lightwave update I was expecting when it was first announced.

hrgiger
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Why is Layout getting a mention here??? I thought CORE was going to take the two Lightwave packages; Modeller and Layout; and intergrate them into the one software package. While I've got use to Lightwaves current two-packages approach, I was looking forward to CORE making it a solid one software package deal.

And that will happen eventually. But CORE is a brand new application with a completely different architecture, not simply a merger between modeler and layout. And an application with that scope is going to take time to develop. CORE will not be a complete application for this first version(and chances are not for the 2nd or 3rd version either, although that's just a guess) and so it will work alongside modeler and layout until that can happen.

And I have to agree with other posts above, I still am very much in the dark as to what CORE means for Lightwave. Besides a UI update and a few tweeks, CORE isn't the big Lightwave update I was expecting when it was first announced.

The implications of CORE are huge. You're missing the big picture if your impression thus far is simply a new UI and a few tweaks. It differs greatly from what Lightwave currently offers and has the following advantages (Keep in mind that these are "potential" advantages as CORE is still in alpha and won't be production ready for some time):

Node based everthing(attributes driving attributes)
Unified dynamics environment/Dynamics based on Bullet library
Fully open SDK (developers use the same SDK as Newtek developers use to build CORE)
non-destructive worklfow (i.e. modifier stack)
Every attribute is animatable(including modeling operations)
Support for python and various scripting languages
Multiple scene editing
Flexible UI (Dockable panels, text or icons, etc) w/workspaces
Multi-processor and GPU aware
Support for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems

colkai
06-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Why is Layout getting a mention here??? I thought CORE was going to take the two Lightwave packages; Modeller and Layout; and intergrate them into the one software package.

It will, eventually, until then, it's a 3-app package / suite.
At some point in the future, Core 2 / 3 / 4, there will be a single application, but personally, I wouldn't be expecting that for at least 2 or 3 years, if then.

gclayton
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
HardCORE members receive updates from Chuck and Rob- with tons of detail ... plus, you get to actually use the features once they are implemented.

:stumped:

Paul_Boland
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I still have to say I'm disappointed in news on CORE. I remember the buildup to the news, there was a count down running, we were all excited, then a video saying how CORE is going to take Lightwave in a whole new direction, there really was a lot of excitement in the 3D community in general. And then...

Then...

Then silence...!?!

It seems that only those who have paid into the HardCORE program are getting all the news. Yes, we have got some and I'm always excited to see some new news on CORE, but what I've seen hasn't got me excited and what I know is very little. My comment above, "Core is a UI update and some tweeks", that's what I'm getting and if I'm thinking that, how many others are too?

Core was meant to put Lightwave back up against the big boys over at Autodesk but as a non-HardCORE member, from what I know and have seen CORE is not the big update I was expecting. Now perhaps it is, perhaps there's loads of cool new tools and features that non-HardCORE members are not aware of, but from outside, seeing all the other packages getting updates and features, Lightwave looks like it's standing still and will get lost...!

Newtek, you've been very quiet on CORE for too long now. If CORE is the revolution for Lightwave that your initial video promised, we folks not in HardCORE need to be informed of some of that revolution...

colkai
06-18-2010, 02:26 AM
I think they feel they will show it when it's worth showing.
There is *some* information out about CORE but it's very much specific things, not a "broad canvas" as it were, simply I believe, because as a work in progress, it's hard to give a broad statement yet.
Simply put, don't hold your breath on CORE if currently deciding what to do software wise, if it's just curiosity, then maybe Siggraph may have some answers and some folks seem to think that's where Newtek will "spill the beans" as it were.

Also, don't expect Core 1.0 to be "the big update", even those in HC seem to think it's the first step on the ladder, I personally would be astonished if it came out the door at this early point in it's development as "all that" and frankly, from what I've read, so would everyone else.

prometheus
06-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Newtek, you've been very quiet on CORE for too long now. If CORE is the revolution for Lightwave that your initial video promised, we folks not in HardCORE need to be informed of some of that revolution...

what revolution? itīs more exciting watching flies on the ceiling...really,
itīs amazing how they can stick on the ceiling without falling down.

Michael

zarti
06-19-2010, 04:30 AM
what revolution? Itīs more exciting watching flies on the ceiling...really,
itīs amazing how they can stick on the ceiling without falling down.

Michael
lol !!

Kuzey
06-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I wanted to say one thing about the recent locked thread....it seemed like I was attacking the developers, when that was not my intention or desire.

It was just a poorly stated argument...that, I thought I was concentrating on the remark "let the developers do their job"....that's from memory btw.

What I wanted to say...was that people discussing/debating features could not possibly stop the developers doing their work. Not sure how it works in Hardcore, but I doubt the coders would drop everything just to discuss and justify their every move. They might post here and there but they will continue to do their work. The interaction with members can't possibly cause a delay, and certainly not on the scale of something like the OpenGL bugs etc. which were out of their control, and is a normal thing when coding. It's not the fault of developers...it's just another problem to solve. They are building something from the ground up and not spending all this time on trying to make the best bevel tool ever...that's a joke btw :D

That's what I wanted to say, but it didn't turn out right. So, to the developers out there...I apologize for the crappy post and keep up the great work. I'm sure things will be smoother once the foundation and this first version is out of the way :D

Back to your normal programing....pun intended :D

Kuzey