PDA

View Full Version : Logo emblem from eps instead of solidworks import?

prometheus
06-14-2010, 06:25 AM
I have an logo emblem wich Im curious if theres not better ways around to
model than what I have tried.

this is an imported eps file wich then was stenciled on a subdivided plane
and then cleaned up to get the correct shape, then it was extruded
and the front surface was selected and through spline guide I bend it so it has a slightly curved shape to give better reflections.

thereīs some problems with this, especially when trying to select edges and getting beveled edges with rounder, I could perhaps use edge shader from dpont, but I would prefer if I could use rounder.

Usally we have used a full geometry logo from solidworks with text bevels inside this logo emblem, but Im trying get lower poly count and use
a simpler geometry with bump or normal maps text inside of this emblem instead, also the exported geometry from solidworks is triangulated and
at close up it doesnīt look nice.

any suggestions to cap eps curves into a divided geometry in a better way?
Moi export is not an option.

Image attached of how the model look directly from solidworks, and a screen print on how I initially have started to remodel it with eps curves.

Michael

Matt
06-14-2010, 06:32 AM
FAR too many points for starters, which is why bevelling is failing, go it in sub-ds using that model as a background template. Start with the front / back faces removed (so just depth to the shape) then when it looks right, join up the front / back faces.

At least, that's what I would do.

prometheus
06-14-2010, 06:38 AM
FAR too many points for starters, which is why bevelling is failing, go it in sub-ds using that model as a background template. Start with the front / back faces removed (so just depth to the shape) then when it looks right, join up the front / back faces.

At least, that's what I would do.

Umm..you mean a complete remodeling of the whole thing with the curves or the model in background?

That seems to me that it will take quite some time to model thou, not sure exactly on how you mean with this"Start with the front / back faces removed (so just depth to the shape) then when it looks right, join up the front / back faces."

Michael

prometheus
06-14-2010, 06:42 AM
heres the curves ..

Matt
06-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Umm..you mean a complete remodeling of the whole thing with the curves or the model in background?

That seems to me that it will take quite some time to model thou, not sure exactly on how you mean with this"Start with the front / back faces removed (so just depth to the shape) then when it looks right, join up the front / back faces."

Michael

As in, do an extrude of the rough shape, delete the front / back faces so you're left with the edges, get that into the right shape, then add the front / back faces in by joining up the edge points.

Won't take that long to get right.

prometheus
06-14-2010, 07:20 AM
As in, do an extrude of the rough shape, delete the front / back faces so you're left with the edges, get that into the right shape, then add the front / back faces in by joining up the edge points.

Won't take that long to get right.

still donīt quite follow, (almost there) must be dumb today..remember I need a curved divided front surface.

Im with you on the extrude of the rough shape and deleting front and backfaces and having the edge depth polys..joining up edge points from where ?...is where I donīt follow quite..donīt you mean that I need to create a divided front surface and join them with the edge polys?

Michael

Matt
06-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Does this help?

(Unrounded in first layer, rounded in second)

prometheus
06-14-2010, 07:28 AM
well I donīt have any problems getting that with a flat logo..
if you look at my print screen and check in the left viewport how the front surface of the logo is supposed to have a curved surface to better give reflections and so is the real world object too.

so the front surface need divisions to be able to bend and curve slightly.
so getting a front surface lining up nicely with all the edges is a problem I guess.

Michael

prometheus
06-14-2010, 07:34 AM
wait a minute..doesnīt this work anyway to give it a curved surface?
Ive been real strange this day, maybe Im getting sick.

Michael