PDA

View Full Version : Adding polygons to UV maps?

Paradise
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Is there a way to add polygons, polygons that I accidentally did not select while creating the 1st map, to an existing UV map please without it screwing up the placement of the existing map?

For example, I used "atlas" to create my UV map. But when I tried to select all the polygons to create a new atlas map over my existing one with "Make UV", the positions of the polygons shift; thus screwing up my existing texture.

nickdigital
06-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, select only the polygons that you want to add. When you create uv map select the one that you want to add to.

Your selection will be added to the map but you'll probably have to do some uv editing as it'll be added as if it's a new map.

Paradise
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
ooh thank you so much

edit:

Well, I just tried it and... instead of adding polygons to the map, I got red vertices instead. How do I change them to polygons so I can paint on them please?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/angel_or_devil28/UVmap.jpg

Paradise
06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
when I tried to make a whole new map, those missing polygons still show up as vertices.... :/ is there a way to fix this please?

nickdigital
06-12-2010, 08:41 PM
You should still be able to paint where the dots are.

Try this.
Select the polygons you're trying to add. Cut them from the model, paste them back in. Select those cut polygons and then add them to the UV.

After you've adjusted your UV map them merge the polygons back with the rest of the model.

Paradise
06-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Hmm, well, the colors apparently show up properly now only when the Interpolation of the UV map is set to Linear and not subpatch ... :/.. is there a fix for this if I want to make sure it can be seen while set on subpatch please?

nickdigital
06-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Hm, not sure. UVs in LW can be screwy sometimes.

Since you're texture map is done you could always start over. I know that sounds bad but if you start over and not repeat any of the mistakes you know you're workflow is right.

I would suggest the plg uv plugins. What you can do is assign temp surfaces to your object. And then through plg uv generate an atlas map based on those surface groups. It'll unwrap the map without any distortion. From there you can edit your UV and line it back up with your texture.

And then reassign your original surface back to your model.

Paradise
06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
oo, that sounds.. somewhat complex and most likely not effective time wise for my project, but i guess I'll have a go at it :P. Thanks again for your advice :)!

erikals
06-14-2010, 03:11 AM
could you share the trouble part of the object?
i'd like to give it a go, have had this problem before...