PDA

View Full Version : Working with BVH files

Philbert
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Is there any kind of a tutorial or tips for using .BVH files in LightWave? I see that I can load it in and see the bones moving around, but that's about as far as i understand.

cresshead
06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
the main pain working with BVH files in layout is that getting different motion capture performances from different studios or even sessions form the same studio can lead to wildly different bone structures and scaling so having a character performing a selection of mocaps can be rather frustrating to set up and adapt to give consistent results in the viewport..much adapting and editing of the skeleton.

there's been a few discussions on this subject here so have a search and you'll find some tutorials and a few vids floating about.

not forgetting that maybe this year we'll see the pro version of that mo cap app that can export to lw arrive and also the free mocap app that's around too...can't remember the names currently but i'll edit it in if i do!

Philbert
06-11-2010, 10:08 PM
not forgetting that maybe this year we'll see the pro version of that mo cap app that can export to lw arrive and also the free mocap app that's around too...can't remember the names currently but i'll edit it in if i do!

I assume one or both of those is Animeeple and / or Mixamo. Though both are technically free (Mixamo charges for the BVH's) and neither exports to LightWave easily.

I know Larry has at tutorial at Kurv on getting mocap into LW and adjusting the bvh skeletons accordingly. I use MotionBuilder to get mocap into LW so I don't deal with bvh directly in LW.

Larry might have someting on VFXcast:

http://www.vfxcast.com/profile/SplineGod/

Thanks I'll look at that. It's not a big rush or anything, I was just curious.

cresshead
06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I assume one or both of those is Animeeple and / or Mixamo. Though both are technically free (Mixamo charges for the BVH's) and neither exports to LightWave easily.

Thanks I'll look at that. It's not a big rush or anything, I was just curious.
my best advice i'd offer up on this is that if you just need 1 shot/scene with a mo cap character in it then lightwave can get that done okay without anything else other than the bvh file.

if however you have several scenes or several characters in1 scene doing various mo cap tasks then the 3rd party solutions would make life much simpler as you outlined above