PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft DV Export

Martin Adams
09-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to export to DV PAL as an AVI file? I'm using that types of files as an input created from Adobe Premiere, but I would like to render back to the same file type.

I would use QuickTime DV PAL but the quality loses a lot of detail compared to my source AVI file.

Also, does anyone know how to maintain 16:9 aspect ratio for wide screen on export?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

T-Light
09-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Hi Martin

I had the same problem with poor quality on the native quicktime exporter. Matrox has a decent quality DV/DVPro codec you might want to try.

(You have to register but it's free) :)

http://www.matrox.com/video/support/ds/software/codec/home.cfm

T-Light

Lightwolf
09-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Hi there,
there is no quality problem with the native QT DV format. However, it reduces the quality by default on playback.
Open a DV movie in QT.
Open the movie properties.
Find the Video Track.
Enable High Quality.

I agree, it should be enabled by default.

Cheers,
Mike

Martin Adams
09-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I'll certainly try the Matrox codec when I next get the chance.

I managed to do a work around by exporting my footage as still TGA images (10GB later) and use After Effect to put it back as a DV AVI. Definately the long winded way of doing it.

The advantage is I could then use a PhotoShop batch to add further adjustments to the still images which I find works really well.

But, I wont be about to try anything else out for another week now as tomorrow morning I fly from the UK to Los Angeles for a nice holiday ... yippie!

Biggas
09-18-2003, 03:05 AM
hm

T-Light
09-18-2003, 03:09 AM
Hi Lightwolf

Hadn't realised that about the QT player.

The problem I had was importing the footage into media studio for final output onto dvd. All quality settings (from dfx+ to ms pro) were all set to high, but the quality was still awfull. It may be something to do with media studios QT import routines - I'm still on version six so maybe version seven has improved on this.

Either way, I'll take another look at it.

Thanks

:)