PDA

View Full Version : strange shape

bracki7
06-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Hi :)
Till now I made a few bootle and jar, and sometimes on upper part of model is something strange. i don't know what. Example below:

http://www.3dtp.pl/tempowaty/jar_of_bolognese2.jpg

It exist independently of angle of camera. Below You can see my glass setting. And I used fast freshnel too. But with and without the result is the same.

http://3dtp.pl/tempowaty/surface_editor.jpg

Any suggestions?

meshpig
06-10-2010, 05:50 AM
The arc of the offending item obviously follows the geometry. Is the mesh clean as in no n-gons which shouldn't be there?

- "w" then select >4 polys + to see if.

bracki7
06-10-2010, 06:06 AM
No. The geometry is clean. It was first what I cheked.

http://3dtp.pl/tempowaty/geometry.jpg

meshpig
06-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Try "m" and "shift i", then check your stats "w" for 2 point polys. You won't see the problem in wireframe.

bracki7
06-10-2010, 06:53 AM
It was second thing what i checked :)
"No points eliminated" and "No polygons eliminated".

I chcecked geometry very carefully. Its clean for sure. For me something else.

bracki7
06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Interesting thing, from fprime renderer, the jar looks good. Without any shape.

3DGFXStudios
06-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Is the Jar and the cap one shape? Because if you want nice refractions you need a closed shape. that means if you applied 2 different surfaces to one model your refraction won't look right.

To get nice realistic glass, use the "Dielectric" node.

meshpig
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Ok, sorry missed that. Some part of the inner geometry is overlapping the exterior?
Can't quite make it out in the wire but it looks a bit tight at some point. If you have the "inside" faces poking through the outside the various channels will just do what they do.

bracki7
06-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Is the Jar and the cap one shape? Because if you want nice refractions you need a closed shape. that means if you applied 2 different surfaces to one model your refraction won't look right.

To get nice realistic glass, use the "Dielectric" node.

You mean are together? No. Glass of jar is one shape (closed). The same cap. Its one shape. On the glass poly is applied one surface.

bracki7
06-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Ok, sorry missed that. Some part of the inner geometry is overlapping the exterior?
Can't quite make it out in the wire but it looks a bit tight at some point. If you have the "inside" faces poking through the outside the various channels will just do what they do.

No. The surface of the glass has a thickness of 1 mm. maybe looks a tight, but is not. I still dont know why this happened. I resolve this problem in Photoshop now:) But it irritates me, why this is happening :))

Any other ideas?

meshpig
06-14-2010, 05:19 AM
was going to say ps it... zip the object or pkg the scene and post it.

bracki7
06-14-2010, 06:00 AM
You're welcome. Indeed, so will be easier:)

Kuzey
06-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I just checked the "exclude from vstack" button for the glass surface and it disappeared. Not sure what that would mean though...it's just the first thing I did :D

Kuzey

meshpig
06-14-2010, 06:59 AM
... layer 3 had some stray points to merge. It also appears to be that which is striking through layer 1. Moving layer 3 aside removes the glitch, as in it's in the geometry :)

bracki7
06-14-2010, 07:01 AM
I just checked the "exclude from vstack" button for the glass surface and it disappeared. Not sure what that would mean though...it's just the first thing I did

Wow! Ingenious! :)
Really works! But how? What for is that button? And this mean that geometry is ok?

bracki7
06-14-2010, 07:07 AM
... layer 3 had some stray points to merge. It also appears to be a part of layer 1 striking through. Moving layer 3 aside removes the glitch... :)

Ok, 240 point was merge.. But the shape is still there. Dissapear after "exclude from Vstack" mode is on.

meshpig
06-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Ok, go to "taper constrain" and set the falloff in the numeric window "n" to none. Reduce the circumference of layer 3 in the top view port by the width of a bee's penis and problem solved:)

Kuzey
06-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Wow! Ingenious! :)
Really works! But how? What for is that button? And this mean that geometry is ok?

I have no idea what that button is or does...it was just a guess on my part :D

But Meshpig's right...it is the geometry.

I selected the three edge loops as shown, and with the "move plus" tool active...I right clicked and dragged the mouse...to move those loops away from the glass and the error went away.

Kuzey

Kuzey
06-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Here's the same file with the modified object in layer 10, so you can compare...I didn't move the edge loops that much :D

Kuzey

meshpig
06-14-2010, 07:37 AM
I have no idea what that button is or does...it was just a guess on my part :D

But Meshpig's right...it is the geometry.

I selected the three edge loops as shown, and with the "move plus" tool active...I right clicked and dragged the mouse...to move those loops away from the glass and the error went away.

Kuzey

... "taper constrain" with no falloff is more or less the same thing.

Kuzey
06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I must try that one of these days...it's the first time I heard of it :D

Kuzey

meshpig
06-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes it's an old tool but with loop selection it comes to life... :)

JeffrySG
06-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I must try that one of these days...it's the first time I heard of it :D

Kuzey

lol, me too. I'll have to give it a whirl!