PDA

View Full Version : anyone have comments on the Kurv - Kelly Lee Myers videos?

3dWannabe
06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
He certainly has great credentials, and uses Fusion for compositing - so his series sound really great (most of the new videos at the top seem to be his http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/video_list.php )

Just wondering if anyone has purchased them and has any comments on how well they teach the techniques? Is the sound quality ok, are the scenes included?

Seems like a real must-have collection?

3dWannabe
06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I have many of them and I HIGHLY recommend all of them. Kat is a great teacher and really helps you to understand what he us doing. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

There are a lot of them. Any stand out in particular?

djlithium
06-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey guys.
Thanks for checking out the vids on kurv in the past.
You can now find new stuff for download and a full on community oriented site at www.liberty3d.com (http://www.liberty3d.com).

We are working on it almost round the clock to improve it and produce new content updated for LightWave 9.6 and beyond while also introducing other apps into the mix for area like games and mutli-media/archvis, etc.

Right now the way we have things set up is that any video tutorial you pick up - the money goes direct to the artist! No middle men. Later however when we grow a little bit things will shift out to cover costs - but its still heavily in favor of the artist (over65%) which is much better than what some other sites provide. Not only that but the material is ALL INSTANT DOWNLOAD!
You don't have to wait for DVDs in the mail or for mixed up codes or bad links.
Here is one customers comment on our videos.

"Kat,

I'm watching the Mars tutorial right now and I think the quality is much better than from XXXX (removed because we are being polite about it) and I like the extra "umph" that you have on the tutorial that sets is apart from stuff you find on the web.

Sean K."

We still have a few things to iron out, but we are moving really fast here and we have full forums set up for you guys to check out plus lots of goodies and more coming soon including some freebies on a regular basis.

Come on by and register on the forums and say hello :)

Thanks muchly!

djlithium
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
He certainly has great credentials, and uses Fusion for compositing - so his series sound really great (most of the new videos at the top seem to be his http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/video_list.php )

Just wondering if anyone has purchased them and has any comments on how well they teach the techniques? Is the sound quality ok, are the scenes included?

Seems like a real must-have collection?

Yes, the assets are generally included.

Nigel Baker
06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi All,

I am always unhappy with the production quality from KURV.
Either the sound quality is terrible or the video resolution is not great.
I am always very happy with the quality of modo Luxology videos and wish that Kurv would take notice, and listen.

I did get a recent download of Ultimate Guide to Lighting and Rendering FX and have noticed that it is better but no where near as good as Luxology's.
Still that crackling voice to much compression on the sound and the video image is never crisp.

Regards,
Nigel

djlithium
06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Well thats the webinar format really. It has its major draw backs and its benefits.
Still, you may want to try the videos over at http://www.liberty3d.com
We are still ironing out a few kinks, but its getting there quickly.
More videos and content will be available as fast as we make it and cover a variety of subjects across the board with several different applications and techniques for GSD (getting stuff done).

Oh, just a quick edit. I produce all of my videos at 1920x1200 and apply a noise cancellation filter to the material and it's pretty clean. I am a DJ after all (play records even!) so I know what sound means to people as I care about it very much myself. Now the video compression is going to do what its going to do in camtasia and in some spots may look a little chunky but for the most part is very clean because of the size of the video itself.

Anyway, give one of them a try from my first two on the site and tell me what you think.
Keep in mind also that a majority of the cash from these goes directly to the artist where on other sites its heavily tilted the other way. So your support is greatly appreciated and is returned in kind with direct access to the artists via our forum and email for questions or suggestions on new videos or if you have problems.

calilifestyle
06-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi All,

I am always unhappy with the production quality from KURV.
Either the sound quality is terrible or the video resolution is not great.
I am always very happy with the quality of modo Luxology videos and wish that Kurv would take notice, and listen.

I did get a recent download of Ultimate Guide to Lighting and Rendering FX and have noticed that it is better but no where near as good as Luxology's.
Still that crackling voice — to much compression on the sound and the video image is never crisp.

Regards,
Nigel

I have to agree... but only when they started slanging the Webinars. Prior to that most of the ones i bought where great.

I do wish desktop images made more tuts

calilifestyle
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
So djlithium

You guys sell your video tuts out side of kurvstudios right, or along side with them.

djlithium
06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
So djlithium

You guys sell your video tuts out side of kurvstudios right, or along side with them.

Liberty3d.com has nothing to do with Kurv Studios, apart that many of the artists there (formerly as well) are now over at Liberty3d.com producing new videos.
It remains to be seen if Kurv will continue retailing the videos I have done with them in the past.

3dWannabe
06-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Liberty3d.com has nothing to do with Kurv Studios, apart that many of the artists there (formerly as well) are now over at Liberty3d.com producing new videos.
It remains to be seen if Kurv will continue retailing the videos I have done with them in the past.

Glad to see you have a Fusion topic. 3DCoat tutorials would also be cool.

Maybe get with Gerardo and create a linear workflow and color management video?

High resolution videos (I wouldn't mind 1920 x 1080 if I could get it) h.264 format.

I'd like videos to be well thought out, so that I can learn the most in as short a period of time as possible.

I've seen videos that just go on an on whereas an edited version could relate the same info in 1/2 to 1/4 the time, and be easier to understand.

I value a short well presented video over a longer, rambling one, as there are only so many hours in the day.

And have a detailed searchable pdf showing the minutes:seconds of each new topic and what is covered to go along with the videos. Right now, I have to spend a lot of time writing this down (in great detail) as I watch, so that I can reference them in the future.

I'd buy more videos if they followed this format.

aidenvfx
06-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Well thats the webinar format really. It has its major draw backs and its benefits.
Still, you may want to try the videos over at http://www.liberty3d.com
We are still ironing out a few kinks, but its getting there quickly.
More videos and content will be available as fast as we make it and cover a variety of subjects across the board with several different applications and techniques for GSD (getting stuff done).

Oh, just a quick edit. I produce all of my videos at 1920x1200 and apply a noise cancellation filter to the material and it's pretty clean. I am a DJ after all (play records even!) so I know what sound means to people as I care about it very much myself. Now the video compression is going to do what its going to do in camtasia and in some spots may look a little chunky but for the most part is very clean because of the size of the video itself.

Anyway, give one of them a try from my first two on the site and tell me what you think.
Keep in mind also that a majority of the cash from these goes directly to the artist where on other sites its heavily tilted the other way. So your support is greatly appreciated and is returned in kind with direct access to the artists via our forum and email for questions or suggestions on new videos or if you have problems.

Something I would love to see is project based texturing and lighting course. I have bought both a lighting course and texturing course from Kurv and both are just concepts and don't actually teach how to achieve anything.

If there were some photo-real texturing courses I would be very interested but they need to be project based. Even a simple scenes such has buildings, roads etc. I don't at this time need to know every aspect to how the texturing works but rather just how to achieve certain looks.

jameswillmott
06-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Something I would love to see is project based texturing and lighting course. I have bought both a lighting course and texturing course from Kurv and both are just concepts and don't actually teach how to achieve anything.

If there were some photo-real texturing courses I would be very interested but they need to be project based. Even a simple scenes such has buildings, roads etc. I don't at this time need to know every aspect to how the texturing works but rather just how to achieve certain looks.

Why not join the forums at liberty3d.com and make a request? :)

dnch
06-11-2010, 03:23 AM
didnt see those, but kurv should buy new microphones, and make slight video / sound editing after recording...

Hieron
06-11-2010, 05:43 AM
I just was at Luxology site again, and checked out some videos there and was (as usual) stunned by the quality of it all.

Nicely sorted, exact descriptions of the skills needed or earlier tutorials to see before, 20 to 35$, great pictures (as in, you know, after SD era) show the results.

Since we do projects mainly in LW, I had to ask my colleague to learn LW (he comes from Modo) and it just sucks. Scattered tutorials all over the place. Mini ones on the LW site (truth be told, much better than none at all, but still), I got some books, some here, some there. The other way around, I can see myself learning Modo in no time at all and Luxology site is the place to go and look for it.

We bought Lux training for him plenty of times, and I never doubted the quality of the stuff since they so clearly show what is on the videos etc.

Comparison:
http://liberty3d.com/2010/05/water-fx/
$19.99

or
http://liberty3d.com/2010/05/sci-fi-tv-style-planet-creation-making-mars/
$29,99

(also note on the page the "photorealistic" in conjunction with the thumbnail of that project)

versus
http://www.luxology.com/store/18_modo401_spotlight_video/
25$ (mind you, this includes start to finish of the whole friggin shot)

http://www.luxology.com/store/17_shadertree/
35$

Or anything on that site.

I don't care too much about the prices, but more about the overall production value and the ease of gettings someone into LW faster. Making Mars, droplets on an apple etc. are just more of the same of the smallish mass that's already on the NT site. The absolute supersmall video previews of the final result and the sometimes 0 explanation of what is on the video itself doesn't help either.

It's your site, so do as you please ofcourse. But while I don't care about spending money, I don't see myself buying something there. I rather explain it to my colleagues myself.

If you can start making some seriously big tutorials that take someone through a project start to finish, such as the Modo ones do. I'd surely be interested and if you expect sales to be low, I'd be ok with a higher price.

Nigel Baker
06-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi All,

I am only concerned about the quality of the production and you should know what you are buying. I was not aware that the tutorials are actually webinars.
That is something else that is silly. You can not hear the questions that are being asked and the tutor starts explaining away so you are not fully engaged when that happens.

Again in this day and age and no excuse for the past two years or so that we should have high quality video in a large format using as already
suggested something like H264. Good stereo sound and good production quality.

Quality with a good description of what you are buying and a 5 minute sample.

Regards,
Nigel

Hieron
06-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I just told you that. And yes you do find places that have quality material bundled for that for software, didn't I make a clear point up there? Not *everything* maybe, but who ever said *everything* needs to be in 1 spot.

It's nonsense that LW has been around longer, no one cares about material 6+ years old. Did you even check what quality material can be had for other packages? Either way, it wasn't meant to bash LW as you seem to think. I was trying to point out what *I* would be looking for and what my feelings on said site are. They may ignore such a thing for all I care. The small and free NT tutorials are fine, some are even great (I suppose much thanks go to Vaughan).

Nigel Baker
06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Hello All,

This is something that Newtek should be listening to.
Especially with the new advent of CORE and the implementation of new tools and work approaches. Newtek has some additional new
people on board and should start looking at preparing strong tutorial materials, not just when CORE is completed but also along the way to start showing and encouraging people about the great new CORE abilities arriving.

But please Newtek make these in a large format at a high resolution and with good sound : )

Regards,
Nigel

djlithium
06-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I just was at Luxology site again, and checked out some videos there and was (as usual) stunned by the quality of it all.

Nicely sorted, exact descriptions of the skills needed or earlier tutorials to see before, 20 to 35$, great pictures (as in, you know, after SD era) show the results.

Since we do projects mainly in LW, I had to ask my colleague to learn LW (he comes from Modo) and it just sucks. Scattered tutorials all over the place. Mini ones on the LW site (truth be told, much better than none at all, but still), I got some books, some here, some there. The other way around, I can see myself learning Modo in no time at all and Luxology site is the place to go and look for it.

We bought Lux training for him plenty of times, and I never doubted the quality of the stuff since they so clearly show what is on the videos etc.

Comparison:
http://liberty3d.com/2010/05/water-fx/
$19.99

or
http://liberty3d.com/2010/05/sci-fi-tv-style-planet-creation-making-mars/
$29,99

(also note on the page the "photorealistic" in conjunction with the thumbnail of that project)

versus
http://www.luxology.com/store/18_modo401_spotlight_video/
25$ (mind you, this includes start to finish of the whole friggin shot)

http://www.luxology.com/store/17_shadertree/
35$

Or anything on that site.

I don't care too much about the prices, but more about the overall production value and the ease of gettings someone into LW faster. Making Mars, droplets on an apple etc. are just more of the same of the smallish mass that's already on the NT site. The absolute supersmall video previews of the final result and the sometimes 0 explanation of what is on the video itself doesn't help either.

It's your site, so do as you please ofcourse. But while I don't care about spending money, I don't see myself buying something there. I rather explain it to my colleagues myself.

If you can start making some seriously big tutorials that take someone through a project start to finish, such as the Modo ones do. I'd surely be interested and if you expect sales to be low, I'd be ok with a higher price.

Thank you for your comments and we do appreciate them. One thing you should know about the videos that I do is that you get the assets so you can pull apart the scene, objects, everything.. in the video and not just be left trying to build it up again on your own.
Prices will shift a little bit (probably down, depending on the material, length and few other factors) and we are planning to release several free videos per month starting soon - so if I may be so bold, I think there is good value in what we are providing to the community through Liberty3d.com but there is always room for improvement and we are open to that and appreciate all comments and suggestions. We have a few customers already who are putting in some great suggestions for topics - that I know I would really love to do myself and share.
I agree that the descriptions of the material in each video needs to be expanded on and we are working on a decent way to provide short clips of what is covered in the videos.
The site will also be changing soon to make this and other things more clear and easier to find. Larger "project" based video tutorials are also on the way. I have several planned out and once I have this job off my desk I am going to dive right into those and get them out as soon as I can.

The site is very young (less than 3 weeks really) and it's growing quickly so it will shift around a bit and we appreciate your patience along with your suggestions. There are a a few things on the back end that we are sorting out now and hope to have dealt with shortly that I think will benefit users of the site and I look forward to hearing more suggestions and comments from you guys.

We have a thread on our forums in the support area, as well as our Free Speech Zone, so if you want you can post them there and you are more than welcome to. :)
You can get there by hitting http://www.liberty3d.com/forums and you will see the support and Free Speech Zone forum areas.

Also, understand that the planet tutorial video was created after many requests from people who have seen my other videos and wanted to know more about how to create planets like they would see on BSG, Trek, etc., because they know LightWave is heavily used on those types of shows and wanted to see how it was done using the exact same tool they have on their desktops. This series will expand, as per many requests to include nebula scenes, worm holes, atmospherics, FTL jump drive tricks, shields, weapons fire and much more. These are all requests from people who want to know how that stuff is done. But the point is they are requests from users out there and I am very happy and thankful to do them for people and appreciate their support.

djlithium
06-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Hello All,

This is something that Newtek should be listening to.
Especially with the new advent of CORE and the implementation of new tools and work approaches. Newtek has some additional new
people on board and should start looking at preparing strong tutorial materials, not just when CORE is completed but also along the way to start showing and encouraging people about the great new CORE abilities arriving.

But please Newtek make these in a large format at a high resolution and with good sound : )

Regards,
Nigel

BTW, my videos (not everyone has desktops my resolution) are all recorded at 1920x1200, and I do pay attention to sound. I am a vinyl loving DJ after all :)
Other artists who produce videos on Liberty3d.com may not have the same kind of resolutions but we aim to please and go for the highest res we possibly can.
The audio issues you describe in other videos are a result of them being done live via webinars over the internet which has an impact over the entire audio/video presentation. This is why a majority of our material at Liberty3d.com for now will be pre-recorded and done so in a way to preserve the best quality and get the best amount of focused information and knowledge into a compact (not epic long) hard hitting, get in, get the data, get out - presentations.

I hope that clears things up. If you have another comments, please hit us up on the forums at www.liberty3d.com or email me through the contacts section on the site.

Nigel Baker
06-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Hello DJ Lithium,

Hope you are well, I would like Newtek to listen more, I really feel that Luxology have done a great push here in helping with weekly modcast and small duration videos of 3 min- 10 minutes of good tips or new features and all in good quality. Plus then in addition they have their own online store of longer Video tutorials you can purchase.

I do encourage all to invest time and effort to get the basics right.

As for the free market it can fill in the niches as they arise and hopefully will reap the awards form it.

By the way I just looked at Liberty, I had never heard of it (thanks). Just reading the descriptions on the surfacing tutorials, are they about the node editor or the older way of Lightwave surfacing, it needs clarification and a good sample video of five minutes or so.

All the best,

Regards,
Nigel

Hieron
06-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Well, good luck and I'll be interested to see what you all can come up with!

geothefaust
06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm sure things will be great! I am very glad to see all of you guys nearly free of the chains and doing what you like to do - All with no middle man to spoil it. It doesn't get any better than that. :)

djlithium
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Sometimes it's the middle man who ALLOWS artists to showcase their materials without having to deal with the mundane details. Sometimes it UNCHAINS the artist. In this case, it was beneficial for BOTH. So it CAN be "better than that." :boogiedow

I can certainly appreciate the usefulness of someone who is able to worry about the "finer" details while I can concentrate on the meat and potatoes of the project. I love my VFX Coordinators for just that reason.
However with respect to being beneficial to both, in some situations it can be tilted in one direction very easily which can sometimes be next to impossible to put back into a state of balance. Communications are key to do this and for me personal I am interested in being able to communicate directly with the people who watch or read the stuff I put out there so I can adjust as required to meet their needs or requests or what have you. In other situations this hasn't been possible, or because of the "whisper in a room" phenomena - what is communicated back to me isn't what was actually requested.
In addition, I feel its best for me, at least personally - to be able to offer these things independently for the moment along side other great and talented artists such as we have at Liberty3d.com because we are able to work as a team, yet remain completely independent. There is no central point of failure anywhere on the communications front, customer service, the production of the videos themselves, etc. And if there is, we are able to compensate and adjust immediately in the best interests of our clientele because we know that cold hard cash is being slapped down and if we don't deliver as stated... its a problem for them, a problem for us and a point of contention in the future for them to return and purchase again as well as those considering to purchase or even visit the site. We know how important the customer experience is, which is why I make the best effort I can to respond to anyone who emails me at my... 5 different addresses that I have who are asking questions or have a suggestion or any troubles (so far its only been one problem which I worked to resolve and it turned out to be a graphics chip issue - but now we know about it can deal with it) as soon as they come in or very close to it.

We are not out to bash anyone or screw anyone, or make it seem we are better than anyone, we are just independent artists who want to help other artists improve. At the end of the day that's all this is about.

I have other motivations beyond that of course, the extra money certainly helps, but I have also been known to hire some of the people who I have helped along with various subjects because I know at the end when they have these concepts down, that I can bring them on board bigger projects or smaller projects and I know they can do what I am asking of them or hand off the work or jobs completely to them if i am too busy or just bogged down. Some day again i hope to be back in a nice proper studio environment hiring these kats. ;)
Why? because I love Lightwave.

chco2
06-23-2010, 05:29 AM
I'd like to add following in regards to the Luxology vs Lightwave tutorial videos.

1] Newtek has a fast resource of complete free tutorials covering many aspects and most of the time using a vivid example. This is a real great asset. Quality is also very good.

2] KURV offers most beginning lightwavers a very large and overall good selection of rather cheap videos that also cover many details from some great lightwave experts. Agreed on the quality of the video (not very high), but it is not a bother.

3] The Mars example from Liberty3D that is referred to as same small mass that's already available.. well it isn't. I've bought the tutorial and I was pleased to find a complete start to finish productive way in creating realistic planets in a realistic galaxy. Hope more will follow as it gives you in a very short time material you can immediately create a final shot with.

Ciao,
charly

djlithium
07-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Well on the subject of new videos and all that jazz, I am happy to let you know that I have just created a new video as part of a new series of stuff related to creating space scenes of all kinds.
I have been getting a shwaack of requests for nebula type effects and this first one deals with that.

You can find out more by visiting

http://liberty3d.com/2010/07/advanced-space-scene-creation-volume-one-fast-nebula-creation-techniques/

This deals with a few techniques and tricks that you can use immediately directly in LW without any special plug-ins and it renders REALLY fast.

I did run into a couple of LW bugs in the video but work-arounds (of course) were made and detailed. I will send a copy of this to NewTek for review so they can watch it and see where I hit those problems.

I really appreciate (as does everyone on Liberty3d.com) the outpouring of support over the last few weeks as the site grows. QuadPanels has pretty much turned out to be an instant hit with modelers in the community and I know James has been really enjoying the feed back and working on its improvements. I really love what I am seeing there. It's a kick *** tool and its evolving quickly to be a top notch must have thing for Lightwave Modeler.

Thank you again to everyone who has been checking out the site and been supportive of our efforts there. We are doing this for all the right reasons, because we love Lightwave 3D and its users.

3dWannabe
07-04-2010, 07:04 AM
You can find out more by visiting

http://liberty3d.com/2010/07/advanced-space-scene-creation-volume-one-fast-nebula-creation-techniques/
The link to the mov under the graphic seems to be broken?

http://liberty3d.com/2010/07/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kassandra_In_Nebula_Test_R02.mov

djlithium
07-04-2010, 07:07 AM
The link to the mov under the graphic seems to be broken?

http://liberty3d.com/2010/07/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kassandra_In_Nebula_Test_R02.mov

Yeah I am trying to fix that right now. It does work on other pages. It's word press tripping me up at the moment.

djlithium
07-04-2010, 07:09 AM
See, its silly, it works here... http://liberty3d.com/citizens/kelly-kat-myers/kats-videos/
But the graphic doesn't come up. I may have to move the link out of that shadowbox.

3dWannabe
07-04-2010, 07:45 AM
See, its silly, it works here... http://liberty3d.com/citizens/kelly-kat-myers/kats-videos/
But the graphic doesn't come up. I may have to move the link out of that shadowbox.
Yes, that comes up. Note that the link is entirely different.

Good link:
http://www.liberty3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kassandra_In_Nebula_Test_R02.mov

Bad Link:

BTW - maybe no one else works this way, but when I watch a video, I take a lot of time to document it so that I can easily reference the video later.

For example, I'm watching Cageman's excellent Janus/exrTrader/Fusion tutorals:

ftp://cageman.dyndns.org/Cageman_Janus_exrTrader_and_Fusion_Introduction

and part of my notes on the 1st video are:

------------ Janus_exrTrader_and_Fusion_Part01 ------------------------
01:10 Render Globals very bottom, set alph format to unPremultiply Alpha (so can handle in Fusion)
01:35 prepare some presets for exrTrader
ctrl-F8 (more windows->image Processing) shows effects window, go to processing tab
add exrTrader 'add image filter' at very bottom (double click to bring up interface)
from 'Buffer' drop down combo, see all the diff buffers can choose
select a buffer from combo, then click on 'enable' checkbox
Note: the 16 bit float 'pixel type' is also called half and is NATIVE for nVidia cards *** (he's using 32 bit)
to save a preset, there's a 'preset' combo box at very top, one entry is 'save as preset'
uncheck 'save as single image file' so that all buffers will go together into a single file (or else each buffer goes into separate file)
03:20 he created an 'all buffers' preset and an 'alpha only' preset and a 'color+alpha' preset that has 'final render and alpha
03:45 note: once presets are created, CAN REMOVE exrTrader from 'image filter'
04:15 ** for each exrTrader preset, go thru EACH buffer one by one and enable 'un-multiply by alpha' in exrTrader config (and also in Render Globals as in 01:10)
(?? verify this should be checked - as it seemed like he had in un-checked in video???
05:20 ** in master plug-ins, adding Janus, note: it MUST say it finds exrTrader here in event log
double click on plug-in to bring up interface (note: can resize the Janus window)
06:40 *** click on 'preferences' (note what he has setup here)
08:20 shows selecting joystick objects (for tac1)in scene editor, and from 'groups' Janus combo on far left, select 'add group'
he then adds the other 2 joysticks into 2 separate groups
adds table to separate group, then all the 'reflection' objects (rectangles surrounding joysticks) to a group
09:40 ** saving scene DOES NOT save all the config just created in Janus, have to click on 'save changes' button at bottom left of Janus

----
videos that are short and well edited and would contain a text timeline outlining the main points would be invaluable to me. Otherwise, I've got to spend 3-4 times the length of the video to document it myself. I've got a lot of videos stacked up that need to be documented and not enough time in the day.

djlithium
07-04-2010, 08:05 AM
----
videos that are short and well edited and would contain a text timeline outlining the main points would be invaluable to me. Otherwise, I've got to spend 3-4 times the length of the video to document it myself. I've got a lot of videos stacked up that need to be documented and not enough time in the day.

Hey dude.
This is done to a certain extent in a ReadMe.txt that ships with the file, but not to the level you are referring to. In some of my videos I break the sections up more than others and then describe what is in each for basic topic matters in the readme.txt file. What I personally would like to do later, but it could kill some audience participation is make these things full blu-ray 1080P videos and have people download a disc fully authored, fully indexed with menus. That would be pretty awesome for sure, but also increase the size of the files by majors amounts and not to mention drive up costs.

Maybe something in a downloadable player with indexing and stuff - that would be cool.

Still hunting for bigger and better solutions as we go. That's a really great suggestion and thought though. Thanks

3dWannabe
07-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Hey dude.
This is done to a certain extent in a ReadMe.txt that ships with the file, but not to the level you are referring to. In some of my videos I break the sections up more than others and then describe what is in each for basic topic matters in the readme.txt file. What I personally would like to do later, but it could kill some audience participation is make these things full blu-ray 1080P videos and have people download a disc fully authored, fully indexed with menus. That would be pretty awesome for sure, but also increase the size of the files by majors amounts and not to mention drive up costs.

Maybe something in a downloadable player with indexing and stuff - that would be cool.

Still hunting for bigger and better solutions as we go. That's a really great suggestion and thought though. Thanks

I'm quite happy with an H.264 video in as close to 1920 x 1080 as you're willing to go.

Companies like http://www.macprovideo.com/ have their own player with menus, but I find I still have to document - and I like viewing in full screen without a bunch of menus to the left taking up space. I don't like being tied into their player.

Just an h.264 and a text or pdf with a detailed timeline (so I can search and quickly go to a specific point in the tutorial video using the Quicktime or http://www.videolan.org/ player - and I'm a happy camper!

With a pdf, you could embed the purchaser's name in the pdf in a way they could not remove it by using pdf security - and maybe lessen 'sharing' of tutorials. Just don't disable the ability to highlight and markup the pdf (I 'have' to be able to mark important parts in yellow).

Getting more complex than that just ups your production cost. Any author with screen capture to h.264 and a text editor can create what I'm suggesting.

High quality (actually being able to read the labels on the screen) is of course important. Also, as previously mentioned, including the scene files.

djlithium
07-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Well you will be happy to know that at least on the resolution front, my videos are 1920x1200 which is my native desktop resolution for both monitors. If I could record both of them know you could actually see them I would. That's pushing the limits of screen capture technology but it is possible. :) Oh yeah, and the content is included.

D-OS
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Kelly continues to lead the LightWave community down a path of deception. Kelly, show us your emmy win again?

djlithium
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Kelly continues to lead the LightWave community down a path of deception. Kelly, show us your emmy win again?

Yeah, no problem. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5114/CCI20100601_00000.JPG
That's what I have. Now why don't you tell us who you are?

No, its not a statue, no I didn't appear on stage. No, I wasn't nominated.

Yes, its from the academy, yes its for the prime time emmy awards, yes it has my name on it. yes its for 303B "exodus".

So what is your complaint again?
What motivates you to bring this up now? This is from 3 years ago. Again, the timing of your posts and motivations are suspect. You joined up here on May of 2010 and have a total of 12 posts. Most of them regarding this subject. do you have a personal agenda against me? It would be nice if I actually knew who you were, then I might be able to get some perspective as to why you are doing this. But you won't reveal yourself will you?

Come on, you can do it...

geothefaust
07-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a pretty good idea who this "D-OS" person is, and their motive is just to troll and antagonize. I see this person has already been banned... Good, that is where they belong. You're a great artist Kelly, your work speaks volumes. This person, however, has a shady motive. Pay no mind to the trolls!

EDIT: Oops, I guess he isn't banned, he just changed his title. Thanks for the heads up on that...

SBowie
07-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Then again... this person now does not have the ability to back up his statement. Of course he should not have made it the way he did anyway so if he should create another screen name, perhaps he will think twice before spouting anything without proof. Poor judgmentNot singling this post out for criticism, just using it as a springboard to make a related point: When it comes to 'spouting' - with or without 'proof' - it would be worth keeping in mind where we are. These are the NewTek community forums, not "Judge Judy". Consider a couple of points from the Forum Moderation Policy (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=500391&postcount=1).

The NewTek Discussion Forums are a private venue provided as a service to NewTek customers at NewTek's discretion. As such, the NewTek Discussion Forums are not a free speech zone, they are for professional and civil discourse regarding NewTek products by NewTek users.

If allegations regarding the awards and achievements claimed by another person meet the above criteria in any way, shape or form, it eludes me. NewTek is pretty tolerant of off-topic discussion, but this crosses the line in several other ways too. Notice the items below:

The following items are not considered professional or civil discourse allowed on these forums:

Off-topic and controversial subjects such as Religion and Politics
Personal attacks against NewTek customers or employees and their family members

(Saying "Such as Religion and Politics" does not restrict the prohibition on controversial topics to only religion and politics.) Further, this next cautionary note is of interest:

As a courtesy we allow third party vendors with NewTek related training and other products to post announcements here. If you have any problematical issues as a consumer or would-be consumer of those products, follow up directly with the vendor on their support venue or by private channels. Treat third party announcement posts as respected guests here.

These policies seem clear enough to me. If someone has a gripe against another member, they are free to have it out with them one on one. These are not 'personal conflict resolution' forums. Neither are they the Federal Trade Commission forums, a small-claims court, or the board of governors of the Emmy Awards. If someone has a complaint, it should be pursued in an appropriate venue.

This is not to say questions, reviews (pro or con) and comments regarding third-party materials (related to the use of NewTek products) would be in violation of policy, but crossing into the realm of personal matters is inappropriate and such posts are not welcome.

Finally, please note that it is specifically stated that 'moderation decisions are not subject to public discussion'. (IOW, don't be surprised if public posts which overstep in this respect simply vanish into the ether without comment.)