PDA

View Full Version : FX Linker Issues

aaronbeyer
06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
So i am creating a scene of running dinosaurs using FX Linker and a flat plane particle emitter. Here is my issue. When i say ok to the FX linker it spends time computing the data and when it is finished, all I can see in open gl is the original model and animation. I know it has done its job in cloning the data becasue my system really starts to bog down which leads me to believe the geometry is there somewhere.

Things I have tried:
1) reducing the image sizes of the texture (this actually helped with memory issues)
2) setting subdivision order to dinosaur and plane to Last
3) I reduced the crowd from 42 down to 16. I figured I would just render a few passes.

None of this seems to help the simple fact that the new clones are not visible. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

xchrisx
06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
try raising your bounding box threshold to a higher number under the display panel.

prometheus
06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Did you scale up your particles to ensure they really are visible.
if you can se the particle size in open gl then everythings ok, but otherwise..scale them up, I think fx linker by default adapts the initial particle emitter size at zero.

Michael

aaronbeyer
06-09-2010, 08:38 AM
thanks for the help guys but unfortunately these tips didnt work. I still have the same issue.

i was thinking that maybe becasue the original mdd file was recorded starting at 0,0,0 that maybe all of the geometry is being pushed to that exact position, causing all of the characters to be overlapping each other perfectly. but then that renders these tutorials mute.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/MDscan_small.mov

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/FXlinker_small.mov

i havent yet shot my background plate so i may not need as many as im thinking, but 16 is hardly a heard. I thought i would just get a jump on this technique before i shot the plate. I followed those tutorials to the tee. but it looks like Will is using an older version of LW in these. Has something changed in 9.6?

If you guys have any other ideas i would sure appreciate it.

xchrisx
06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Make sure in MD_Plug that key move is set to ON otherwise it will display boxes at all of the particles, but all of the geometry is still at the same position as the original.

aaronbeyer
06-09-2010, 01:57 PM
YES! AWESOME! thank you!

Wow, what a small over sight. I really appreciate your time.