PDA

View Full Version : Creating polygons from points

XaTrIx
09-14-2003, 04:39 AM
I have a sylinder, which is missing the bottom. How can i create a polygon for the bottom from 12 points?

riki
09-14-2003, 07:35 AM
In Point selection Mode, just lasso select the bottom ring of Points in the 'Back' viewport and hit 'p' key to Make Polygon.

Then in Polygon Selection mode you may have to flip the Poly using 'f' key.

Zafar Iqbal
09-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Selecting with lasso doesn't work all the time. You may have to select the points clock og counter-clock wise and then press 'p'.

fxnut
09-14-2003, 08:39 AM
A faster way of doing it (if, say, you had 1200 points on the base for example!), is to just use the knife tool across the cylinder and then merge the bottom set of points. That'll create a whole load of triangular polygons, which you can then merge and delete the central point after.

Works for any convex polygon shape.

XaTrIx
09-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks for your help. Can i use the same methods in square faces?
I have these points:

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |

No polygons on them, I want it to become one 4 point polygon. Whats the best method for doing that?

Also, is there a "magic" button for selecting polygons with more than 4 points. I want to be able to convert the entire model to Sub-d(TAB).

fxnut
09-14-2003, 09:45 AM
The method I described will definitely work for any polygon shape that's convex (i.e. no bits sticking in), and it'll work for some non-convex polys too. Try it, you can always press undo.

>> "magic" button for selecting polygons with more than 4 points

Press 'w' and you'll get the statistics window. If you're in polygon selection mode then you'll get polygon statistics, and you'll be able to select all polygons with points>4 by clicking on the little '+' on the left hand side.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by your diagram and second question. I'd recommend posting a screenshot if you need further assistance.

XaTrIx
09-14-2003, 09:59 AM
The diagram got screwed up. The orange dots are the points.
Statistics showed that I had 48 polygons with two vertices, how can that be possible?

fxnut
09-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by XaTrIx
Statistics showed that I had 48 polygons with two vertices, how can that be possible?

It's possible because in Lightwave you can have polygons with 2 points (lines) and even polygons with 1 point (particles). They can often be quite handy, especially for special effects. You've probably created the 2 point polys by merging the points on a four sided poly. Don't worry, just select them using the Statistics window and delete them.

The best way to go from here is to just play around with points and polygons, and make sure you understand what you're doing and how Lightwave treats them. There are also plenty of tutorials and threads on this forum on the subject of turning meshes into a state fit for using SubDiv's. Failing that, the manual's got some pretty good tips ;)