PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Eps illustrator export, True scale.

prometheus
06-08-2010, 08:10 AM
anyone who knows the true scale factor when exporting out eps stuff..to get exact scale once in illustrator.
Lets say a bezier curve or an object, so if the object is 30 cm..
the imported eps drawing would be exactly 30 cm once opened in illustrator.

Or is there any other eps exporter out there with better scaling options?

Michael

JeffrySG
06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
You could just size in once in Illustrator. Just take note of one of the dimensions and scale as needed in Illustrator.

Matt
06-08-2010, 11:52 AM
anyone who knows the true scale factor when exporting out eps stuff..to get exact scale once in illustrator

Just tested this, it seems you need to set the EPS export options to 'Draw to Scale' and set the 'Scale Factor' to 78.7402.

Yeah, you read correctly 78.7402?!?

Chris S. (Fez)
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Just tested this, it seems you need to set the EPS export options to 'Draw to Scale' and set the 'Scale Factor' to 78.7402.

Yeah, you read correctly 78.7402?!?

Ha. I hope that number was not discovered through trial and error...

Matt
06-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Ha. I hope that number was not discovered through trial and error...

Nope!

1) Created a flat cube in LWM to an exact dimension

2) Exported to EPS

3) Loaded into Illustrator, made a note of the dimension it came in at

4) Using my 'Set Scale' plugin made the flat cube in LWm to the dimension it was in Illustrator

5) Then ran 'Set Scale' over it again to make it back to the original size, took note of the scale factor my script gives you

6) Tested on a number of different sized geometry, all checked out the same

Easy as pie! :)

Actually, I've always wanted to know this myself, just never been fussed as I usually do exactly what Jeff does.

Snosrap
06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
We use 39.370078 and things measure fine using the Hot Door Cad Tool plug-in for Illustrator. https://www.hotdoor.com/cadtools

shrox
06-08-2010, 03:55 PM
We use 39.370078 and things measure fine using the Hot Door Cad Tool plug-in for Illustrator. https://www.hotdoor.com/cadtools

That is one half of 78.7402.

prometheus
06-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies and the help checking this out.
Snostrap..your value 39.370078 , works correctly for me..thanks.

Matt..how is it that you can get a correct scale size using 78.7402?
That only got me double the size.
something in unit setup for lightwave display perhaps or did you measure it wrong?

Michael

archijam
06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
I usually just add a bounding box of x units in LW, and rescale all in illustrator.

I don't trust an import option : )

The other reason I do this is so that I can exactly bring in other components, even much later in the project. I use the same box each time.

Matt
06-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies and the help checking this out.
Snostrap..your value 39.370078 , works correctly for me..thanks.

Matt..how is it that you can get a correct scale size using 78.7402?
That only got me double the size.
something in unit setup for lightwave display perhaps or did you measure it wrong?

Michael

Dunno, that worked for me here, maybe has something to do with your LW units as you say, mine is set to mm

prometheus
06-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Dunno, that worked for me here, maybe has something to do with your LW units as you say, mine is set to mm

I think I know now what´s going on, are you exporting all the above viewports?..in that case your value 78.7402 is true, but exporting only one viewport seems to be correct with the 39.370078.

Michael

shrox
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I usually just add a bounding box of x units in LW, and rescale all in illustrator.

I don't trust an import option : )

The other reason I do this is so that I can exactly bring in other components, even much later in the project. I use the same box each time.

That is what I do, I usually make a box the size of the paper it's going on, then scale it all to the page border in AI.

prometheus
06-09-2010, 08:49 AM
well setting up boxes and use scaling techniques might be easy, but personally I prefer if I simply can use a correct scale factor to avoid
another workflow step wich simply might take longer time to work with.

so with this in mind for single viewports, use 39.370078

For all above viewports use 78.7402

those seem to be working pretty fine and dandy, so no need to rescale

It would of course be better if those values are available as presets when exporting out the eps from lightwave.
in illustrator.

Michael

shrox
06-09-2010, 09:39 AM
well setting up boxes and use scaling techniques might be easy, but personally I prefer if I simply can use a correct scale factor to avoid
another workflow step wich simply might take longer time to work with.

so with this in mind for single viewports, use 39.370078

For all above viewports use 78.7402

those seem to be working pretty fine and dandy, so no need to rescale

It would of course be better if those values are available as presets when exporting out the eps from lightwave.
in illustrator.

Michael

But I didn't know the magic numbers before...