View Full Version : SpeedEdit 64bit?

Novaman350
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Perhaps NT will bless us with the new render engine SE.iN 64 BIT, Since
Adobe has stepped up to the plate with CS5 64 Bit version! Time to mature
in the world of digital video!

Shabazzy
06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
That would be a great addition. It could also mean we could get more YUV colourspace bit depth (maybe even alternatives to YUV). Also MUCH better keying and matting tools (although that's not really anything to do with 64bit coding).

But more importantly, it could mean we get more/better compositing tools that won't negatively affect SpeedEdit's already impressive performance and workflow.

Imagine having camera/motion tracking with files that could be exported to and from LightWave, composited, colour graded, titled, filtered, bezier masked, keyed, background rendered and realtime previewing. Then burnt to DVD, Blu Ray, VCD, print to tape, or just written to a file, all within SpeedEdit.

That, would really let video creatives go nuts.

64bit! Bring it on!

Shabazzy

SBowie
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Of itself, merely having a 64 bit compiled version of SE would not really impact color depth - either loading, processing or rendering color depth.

joseburgos
06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Steve is right, of course. I've been rendering to 32 floating point OpenEXR is LW32 bit for a long time now.
64 bit would allow more of the project to be placed into RAM and that could allow for less background rendering. What would be nice is if SE2 took advantage of the GPU especially if it contains CUDA procs. This could be used to speed up rendering and that is what Adobe and TMPGEnc Xpress 4 are doing to name a few.
64 bit allows to break the old RAM barrier which I think is 3GB in 32 bit XP Pro but please correct me if I am wrong.

Shabazzy
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
64 bit allows to break the old RAM barrier which I think is 3GB in 32 bit XP Pro but please correct me if I am wrong.

No, you're right Jose about that. However it's not just limited to XP, but also to all MicroSoft 32bit OS's.

Releasing that ram limitation, could really open up the possibilities of SE to do more, add more features, perform even better and so allow creatives to produce more exciting work without the need to switch between as many apps as we do now.

joseburgos
06-08-2010, 03:43 PM
What I find strange is the SE2 has a 64BIN folder and it installed in the Programs folder and not the Programs (X86) folder. From other software I have installed on Windows 7 64 bit, this installation into the Programs folder has been indicative that the application is 64 bit. So SE2 maybe doing something hybrid?

Novaman350
06-09-2010, 06:04 AM
Very interesting hey Captain!

Videonut
08-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Has anyone played with their systems in Win7 64bit so that it will utilize more CPU useage. When you render a file in Vegas 9, the CPU's are pegged at 100% but in SE2, it only uses about 30%. Any ideas from from anyone. I am converting mts files to SpeedEDIT HQ. I am using the straight SE2 install and as I understand, there is not a 64 bit driver for this application. Is that correct?