PDA

View Full Version : Custom Masking, Garbage Matte or Panning within 'Crop' - Quick-n-Easy

bradl
09-13-2003, 10:38 PM
The following is a mini-tutorial I put on the Betaforum months ago as a result of discussion about the lack of masking in VT3. I hope that some masking features are added in the future but until then I found this method works well. I was planning on redoing this and posting it as a Tutorial on Newtek site and may still do that, but for now here it is. My two examples are really bad and were just thrown together in seconds. With just a little creativity and effort your results could be very impressive.

Custom Masking, Garbage Matte or Panning within 'Crop' - Quick-n-Easy
Posted: 07-29-2003 09:32 PM

Many have wished for a Mask feature, Garbage Matte or Pan inside of a Crop box. Here is a very easy way to do that. I may write up a formal tutorial for the Toaster Tutorials page, but for now here are the steps.

This can be setup in under a minute once you have done a few.

Quick-n-easy:
Pop into Aura drag out any mask shape (box, circle, half-screen, etc.). Save this one frame out using the Aura Wipe builder as a DVE. Pop it on the VTEdit timeline, on top of a BKG source and a FOREGROUND source. To flip around who is getting masked click reverse. Bam! Instant custom mask and the FOREGROUND can be panned, zoomed, etc. within the Mask shape area. Either source could be a clip or a still.

More Options:
Instead of a mere crop (hard edge) shape you could create any shape like paint brush stokes, banners, text, logos, etc. with or without softness and even add an overlay and/or drop shadow.

Transitions In/Out:
For a quick setup just Alpha fade a clip out to reveal your custom mask setup and fade another one back in to leave it.

Creating only one frame makes it very easy and fast but you could go ahead and make it a custom length with fades in and out in Aura then make DVE. Now the whole thing is auto-setup!

Here are two examples I wipped up in less than a minute, literally. I have done some of these as banners in the past and they included a highlight overlay and a soft tranparent drop shadow. You just supply the BKG and the FILL video. No rendering and totally adjustable at all times.

These are just quick examples of some junk I dragged in, so not so pretty but you can see the possibilities...

Example 1 (http://home.satx.rr.com/loflinfamily/images/BushPan001.wmv)
Example 2 (http://home.satx.rr.com/loflinfamily/images/BushPan002.wmv)

(If the links don't work, try right clicking and saving first)

Brad Loflin
GETV, Inc.
San Antonio, TX

GregGerlach
01-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Brad,

Is there a way to import into Aura a pre-made Digital Juice black & white matte image (.png) and create a DVE that will work in the timeline like you describe? I just bought their "Frames Vol 2" and there's a lot of really nice animated frames I'd like to use with video inside the frame over an animated background.

GregGerlach
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Brad,

I got it to work. I imported the matte image into Aura, used flood/fill in erase mode to remove either the black or the white then ran the wipe builder.

Jim_C
01-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Ohhh... if Brad was actually still around to answer......

:thumbsdow

Jim Capillo
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Ohhh... if Brad was actually still around to answer......

:thumbsdow

OK, I'll bite.... where is he ?

Jim_C
01-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I asked that some time back and someone told me.. But I can't remember who it was or what they said....

But I 'think' FCP was involved...