PDA

View Full Version : Program vs Computer

sony
06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
which creates better images and animation a less version lightwave (7.0-8.0) and a hi-powered computer or higher lightwave (9.6) and a less than powerful computer?

meatycheesyboy
06-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Better is a subjective term. Both scenarios can create beautiful images but the higher version of LW on the slower computer is going to have more features and more development behind it but rendering those beautiful images is going to be slower.

Hopper
06-05-2010, 08:22 PM
better is a subjective term. Both scenarios can create beautiful images but the higher version of lw on the slower computer is going to have more features and more development behind it but rendering those beautiful images is going to be slower.
+1

Dexter2999
06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Better is a subjective term. Both scenarios can create beautiful images but the higher version of LW on the slower computer is going to have more features and more development behind it but rendering those beautiful images is going to be slower.

Yep, and conversely, if you have a top notch machine but are using 32bit version you could be slowing your machine down or not taking full advantage of the RAM.

Balance.

nickdigital
06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Depends on who's sitting at the desk. Neither is solely responsible for beautiful imagery.

T-Light
06-07-2010, 07:01 PM
There's another point.

If your images involve GI, then the improvements in the 9.2+ series will see your render times increase enormously even on an old system.

Given the choice between an old system and LW 9.6 and a new sytem with LW 7.x, I'd pick LW 9.6 every time. I just couldn't see myself going back.