PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave locks up during boolean

a sandwhich
06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Everytime I try to do a speedboolean on this one object im modeling, lightwave locks up, then when I try to close it, vista locks up, and I either spend three hours fixing it all, or I have to force shutdown, then reboot to a crashed vista, then reboot again and do a diskcheck. This has happened three times. The model is of a disc holder and the boolean is in the second layer. There is a rod that I am trying to union with the base. the rod is capped at both ends and the base is a circle with one point in the center, right where I am trying to boolean. I select the rod to boolean to the rest of the object then click spdbool union and it locks and crashes. Does this have to do with how I am doin the modeling or is it a system problem.

Hopper
06-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Sometimes booleans can be extremely intensive if you have not specifically selected only the geometry you wish to include. My recommendation (if you haven't already) is to select only the geometry in your foreground layer that will be affected by the boolean, then try the operation.

And even with this method, booleans can be calculation intensive. There are a lot of recursive functions that happen in the background. I would imagine that these could easily get twisted up with complex geometry - or even with simply geometry that include a large quantity of vertices.

a sandwhich
06-05-2010, 04:54 PM
The first layer does not have anything in it dealing with the boolean. Everything is in the second layer, the things i want on the other. Do the layers matter?

Hieron
06-05-2010, 04:58 PM
best to just attach the object to your message.

a sandwhich
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Ok, here it is. If you go into the second layer, you should see a circular disc with two rings on the edges and one cylinder in the middle. I am trying to unify the disc and the cylinder.

Hopper
06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
The first layer does not have anything in it dealing with the boolean. Everything is in the second layer, the things i want on the other. Do the layers matter?
My apologies .. I should have been a bit more clear... I should have said "foreground" layer instead of "first" layer.

Dexter2999
06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I tried to do a Boolean on my system and got an out of memory error. So no help there.

BUT. I was able to take the cap of the cylinder and STENCIL it onto the base. Then select the new smaller area of base and EXTEND it up to the height of the original cylinder.

Not an answer to your specific problem but a work around.

metahumanity
06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
When doing intensive operations as booleans on complex objects it helps to isolate the target geometry by cutting it out and saving it as a different object. After performing the boolean just paste it in again.

twillit
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I had no problems with a union once I moved the 2 vert polys to another layer. With them in the layer I had an out of memory error.

a sandwhich
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I figured it out last night. The thing was it wouldn't do it because the rod was right on top of a point. I moved the point to the side, and it worked. It didn't change the shape of the circle any so it works.

Hopper
06-06-2010, 01:33 PM
When doing intensive operations as booleans on complex objects it helps to isolate the target geometry by cutting it out and saving it as a different object. After performing the boolean just paste it in again.
Dangit .. I knew I was forgetting something. I haven't had to do that in a long time. It definitely works.

... and yes .. performing a boolean on geometry that shares points between layers sometimes borks it.

erikals
06-07-2010, 05:29 AM
in other cases, you might also want to check this plugin,
makes better booleans, but is slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPOv5c71FGk