PDA

View Full Version : Restore tricaster to original ‘as-shipped’ condition?

digiview
06-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi I am having problems getting the TCXD300 Tricaster to the " RESTORE TRICASTER TO ORIGINAL ‘AS-SHIPPED’ CONDITION? " screen using F8. Every time I try the screen flashes and and continues to boot. I have followed the instructions "To access System Restore, press F8 (you may need to do so a few times in quick succession, say once per second) immediately after powering up (well before the TriCaster Startup Screen appears)."

Can anyone give me advice all my attempts have failed.

Zane Condren
06-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Right Click on Computer, choose properties, Click on the advanced tab, under the startup and recovery listing click on settings and change the time to display list of operating systems to something other then 0.

digiview
06-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks very much Zane It would appear that the manual may need updating to reflect the these changes.

SBowie
06-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks very much Zane It would appear that the manual may need updating to reflect the these changes.Interesting. That instruction is for use in cases where the system won't boot to Windows and/or the TC Startup screen fails to launch. Otherwise, you would normally do this:

To restore your TriCaster system software after the system launches normally:

1. Click the Utilities icon on the Home screen in the TriCaster Startup screen.
2. Select the link labeled Restore TriCaster, and follow prompts.

Did you try that first? On the other matter, I have a brand new (weeks old) TCXD300 here, and the default setting is 3 seconds - short, but adequate I think. Perhaps a lower setting was used at one time and it was revised - I'll make some inquiries. Sorry you had this problem, and thanks for reporting it!

digiview
06-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi Steve,
I have had a problem with a streaming media encoder error, searching through the post’s I found a post relating to the same error and tech support had advised to restore the Tricaster to factory default. I brought up the Tricaster manual pdf searched for “restore tricaster to factory default”. The first item that came up in the search was
“Page | 239

A.5.7 RESTORE TRICASTER TO ORIGINAL ‘AS-SHIPPED’ CONDITION?
We firmly expect you will never need it, but isn’t it good to know that a complete System
Restore function is available in the event of an unforeseen problem?
1. To access System Restore, press F8 (you may need to do so a few times in quick
succession, say once per second) immediately after powering up (well before the
TriCaster Startup Screen appears).

2. You should arrive at a black screen listing boot options that include “Safe Mode” and
"Return to OS choices menu." Choose the latter option, and then select Restore from
the next screen.
This procedure will completely restore your system drive (“C:”) to its ‘as-shipped’ state. The "D:"
drive, which holds content and sessions won't be modified. However any TriCaster software
updates (possibly including optional TriCaster expansion packs) will be overwritten – so use this
function only if you truly find it necessary (a call to NewTek’s excellent Tech Support first may
often be fruitful – see Section A.6.2). “

Following the above instructions there is no indication that one should look elsewhere for further information. Please bear in mind that I have moved to the Tricaster and the PC from Mac and my knowledge of the PC OS is very limited. The above instructions should include reference to

“1. Click the Utilities icon on the Home screen in the TriCaster Startup screen.
2. Select the link labeled Restore TriCaster, and follow prompts.” Should be included into this section”

When the default TCXD300 time setting is 0 seconds and then reset to higher value 5 on reboot and pressing F8 you actual come into the OS Safe Mode screen has no reference to the Tricaster’s restore function. In order to access the Tricaster restore screen you then need to press the ESC key (which is not documented) which then brings up the Tricaster’s restore screen. Once this is done then pressing F8 on boot up the OS then brings up the Tricaster screen as per the manual.

Hopefully if anyone else get’s caught with this problem that this may help them from pulling out their hair. NT really should ensure that default is set to a value to overcome this problem. In my case now whenever the system is restore I have to go through this process and reset the time setting.

Thanks Steve

SBowie
06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
NT really should ensure that default is set to a value to overcome this problem. In my case now whenever the system is restore I have to go through this process and reset the time settingYes, I understand that. I do think the default must have been revised though, as I said. For reference, here is the complete text from the current version of the manual:

A.5.7 RESTORE TRICASTER TO ORIGINAL ‘AS-SHIPPED’ CONDITION?

We firmly expect you will never need it, but isn’t it good to know that a complete System Restore function is available in the event of an unforeseen problem? You can use one of two methods to restore your system, depending on your situation.

To restore your TriCaster system software after the system launches normally:

1. Click the Utilities icon on the Home screen in the TriCaster Startup screen.

2. Select the link labeled Restore TriCaster, and follow prompts.

To restore your TriCaster system software if TriCaster should ever fail to boot up properly:

1. Select the menu item labeled Reset to Factory Defaults from the black boot screen that appears shortly after powering TriCaster up. (If this screen does not automatically appear, reboot and press F8 a few times in quick succession, say once per second, immediately after powering up. Follow prompts to complete the process.

Note: Following a system restore, the Windows™ system software must be re-activated. To do this, you will need the operating system serial number, which you will find on a sticker affixed to the exterior of your TriCaster.

This procedure restores your system drive (“C:”) to its ‘as-shipped’ state. The "D:" drive, which holds content and sessions won't be modified. However any TriCaster software updates (possibly including optional TriCaster expansion packs) will be overwritten – so use this function only if you truly find it necessary (a call to NewTek’s excellent Tech Support first may often be fruitful – see Section A.6.2). When you do restore, remember to update the TriCaster software afterward.

digiview
06-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks for that info Steve in which case I must have an earlier model Tricaster TXCD300 prior to this changes. Hey Steve is there any way that I can get a current copy on the Tricaster TXCD300 image to reload at least then we are all reading from the same page. I can not help but wonder what other change have been made that I am unaware off or may have missed out on?

Many thanks
Lance

SBowie
06-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Hey Steve is there any way that I can get a current copy on the Tricaster TXCD300 image to reload at least then we are all reading from the same page.I don't think there's a way to replace the Restore partition (short of a trip back to NewTek, at least, sorry. :(

However, all you should need to do after a restore is to run the latest update version (including the latest manuals). You could even store a copy of that (most recent update installer) locally to make it easier (somewhere other than on the C drive, of course).

edit: p.s. - if you find that the startup time is reset to zero following the update, let us know, please. I think consideration might be given to resolving that in the next. public rev.

digiview
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Great suggestion Steve I will make a folder on D drive to hold the info and update.
I will let you know next week when I will do the system update if the time is reset to zero. I have a demo's on streaming video on this week for clients and I am not going to touch anything.

Many thanks
Lance

doabgah
01-18-2017, 10:48 PM
After factory default my tricater did not work TCXD 850. Tricaster hangs abd did not start.

Zane Condren
01-19-2017, 08:03 AM
I would recommend you contact your local in country dealer/repair center. To find your local dealer please visit http://www.newtek.com/where-to-buy/reseller-locator.html.

doabgah
01-20-2017, 03:17 AM
Thanks,

Gordon
01-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys;
I also tried to Restore to factory, the TC850, from within the TriCaster software - Utilities. It rebooted and defaulted to a factory restore but I then ended up at a GRUB prompt. Suggestions?
Gord

PS: I re-powered the system and it still boots to the TriCaster software and works as it did before.
PSS: The 'boot' command informs me that the Kernel must be loaded before booting.

Gordon
01-30-2017, 03:48 PM
Nevermind on the Restore to Factory for my TC850. 'Chatted' with NewTek CS and I'll have to re-image the drive.

doabgah
01-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Hi Guys;
I also tried to Restore to factory, the TC850, from within the TriCaster software - Utilities. It rebooted and defaulted to a factory restore but I then ended up at a GRUB prompt. Suggestions?
Gord

PS: I re-powered the system and it still boots to the TriCaster software and works as it did before.
PSS: The 'boot' command informs me that the Kernel must be loaded before booting.

Format by pressing Yes

Gordon
01-31-2017, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the reply doabgah. I was way past the 'Yes' stage and at the boot loader prompt called 'GRUB'.

"GRUB is the reference implementation of the Free Software Foundation's Multiboot Specification, which provides a user the choice to boot one of multiple operating systems installed on a computer or select a specific kernel configuration available on a particular operating system's partitions."

Neokoenig
05-30-2017, 04:24 AM
Hi Guys;
Gord

What was the solution to this? I have the same issue...

Gordon
06-01-2017, 03:52 PM
What was the solution to this? I have the same issue...

NewTek wanted me to send the drive to them to re-image. I didn't feel it was worth the $500; so we will be getting a new switcher. I have very strongly recommended a TC1 but two of the other three consultants are leaning toward a Roland Switcher, (the third person is neutral and doesn't have a preference).

Neokoenig
06-05-2017, 02:56 AM
NewTek wanted me to send the drive to them to re-image. I didn't feel it was worth the $500; so we will be getting a new switcher. I have very strongly recommended a TC1 but two of the other three consultants are leaning toward a Roland Switcher, (the third person is neutral and doesn't have a preference).

Thanks, having gone through it with NewTek they have come to the same conclusion; I've had this issue since the device was new, but I never realised it was an issue as I'd never had to actually do a system restore. Just can't justify $773 quoted to reimage the drive. The irony is that I only actually found out about this whilst trying to diagnose a faulty control surface. Whilst I do appreciate Newtek's customer service talking me through the issues (and in fairness to them, they have been very patient), the fact that I personally know the Tricaster has been like this since new makes this grate a bit. So I now have a machine which can't be repaired if it fails, essentially.