PDA

View Full Version : buffer channels

Mr Rid
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
How do you get a useful object ID channel out of LW without buying a plugin? All I see is the PSD export which renders a useless, chunky 2-toned image. Where do you assign an ID to an object?

MooseDog
06-06-2010, 08:03 AM
does the following demo help? right direction even? free :)

tools link (http://www.db-w.com/content/view/137/175/)

erikals
06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
check, http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100844&highlight=pixel+Filter

Mr Rid
06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks. Am finding it easier to just enable colored matte objects for now.

Lightwolf
06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Also have a look at the Sequence node in combination with the Extended Spot Info node (both parts of the free db&w tools - see my sig for a link).
They've both been designed for that kind of problem.

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
06-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Node setups seem too complicated. I dont know what's wrong with a simple 'Object ID' pass button in the buffer saver, select an object, select a color.

Lightwolf
06-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Node setups seem too complicated. I dont know what's wrong with a simple 'Object ID' pass button in the buffer saver, select an object, select a color.
A few reasons:
1) If you work with loads of objects that's tedious, especially once you use duplicate colours (which you'd need to track carefully).
2) "Object ID" buffers (in the classical sense) don't really work well for reasons mentioned below (AA, DoF, MBlur etc...).

2) Is probably the reason why you'd actually like a colour matte (as you mention above) - which works a little better. The again, the Sequence node handles that fairly well in a semi-automated fashion (and completely automated if you either use Denis free pixel filter or commercial shaderMeister).

As to why NT haven't implemented anything like that... sheesh, I've got a few pages of questions like that :D

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
06-12-2010, 10:56 PM
A few reasons:
1) If you work with loads of objects that's tedious, especially once you use duplicate colours (which you'd need to track carefully).

How else would be less tedious?

Lightwolf
06-13-2010, 06:09 AM
How else would be less tedious?
Anything that is automatic of course ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Anything that is automatic of course ;)

Cheers,
Mike

So is there an automatic way using nodes?

Lightwolf
06-13-2010, 09:37 AM
So is there an automatic way using nodes?
Yes: ShaderMeister or Denis node based pixel filter.

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
06-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes: ShaderMeister or Denis node based pixel filter.

Cheers,
Mike

Am not following how it is easier to apply settings to each surface on each object as opposed to just checkboxing each object.

Lightwolf
06-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Am not following how it is easier to apply settings to each surface on each object as opposed to just checkboxing each object.
By just having one global node graph that is automatically applied to all objects using nodes which make sure that a unique colour is rendered for every item (or surface or item/surface combination).

This is an example from the earlier stages of development: http://forums.db-w.com/index.php/topic,414.msg2281.html#msg2281
The same technique is usable with Denis free node based pixel filter (which has advantage and disadvantages compared to shaderMeister).

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
By just having one global node graph that is automatically applied to all objects using nodes which make sure that a unique colour is rendered for every item (or surface or item/surface combination).

This is an example from the earlier stages of development: http://forums.db-w.com/index.php/topic,414.msg2281.html#msg2281
The same technique is usable with Denis free node based pixel filter (which has advantage and disadvantages compared to shaderMeister).

Cheers,
Mike

Ok, but I am not using nodes on any of the surfaces in a current project. I have never had need of ID passes but a client is requesting them. For this, its two clicks for me to matte each of a handful of objects. One object needs surfaces separated but I just replace with a color coded version when needed.

Am still wondering how Object ID is suppose to work with the PSD export?

Dodgy
06-14-2010, 01:15 AM
That's the beauty of this approach, it doesn't need any nodes applied on surfaces. DP's Node Pixel filter is applied in the Pixel Filter panel, open it, then turn on 'Ray trace Global Shader' in the output node and then the node setup can be piped into one of the global buffers which can be saved as a separate image. You can do all sorts using this, for example creating an ambient occlusion render of the image which can be saved to an image without having to apply amb occ to any surface in the scene.

While just flicking a switch on a few items isn't a problem in this case, for many items this is a much more efficient method for getting customisable buffer ouputs.

Lightwolf
06-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Ok, but I am not using nodes on any of the surfaces in a current project.
Neither of the approaches I mentioned is using nodes on the surfaces either :)

Cheers,
Mike

Mr Rid
06-28-2010, 01:00 AM
The zip from DP's site, of the x64 version of DP's Node Pixel Filter will not open.

Neither of the approaches I mentioned is using nodes on the surfaces either :)

Akay, I thought that was what you were saying "that is automatically applied to all objects using nodes".

Lightwolf
06-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Akay, I thought that was what you were saying "that is automatically applied to all objects using nodes".
What I meant was: The shading is user driven by a nodal shading graph - but that doesn't change the surface properties (or the surface node graph). It's applied via other hooks (in Denis' case via a Pixel Filter, in the case of shaderMeister via a surface plugin that only kicks into action if there is a global shading graph in the scene that is managed by a Master Handler).

Cheers,
Miuke