PDA

View Full Version : Worth learning LW 9.6 with CORE ahead?

cgisoul
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I am getting my license next week in Hong Kong, I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on the following.
Although CORE is a work in progress app, Newtek has shift their attention on developing CORE. Is it even worth spending the time to learn LW 9.6? Would be nice to know your thoughts.

Thank you.

hrgiger
06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Absolutley. As much as the future looks bright with CORE, Lightwave modeler and Layout are going to be receiving some enhancements as well to keep Lightwave current while CORE is in progress. Nobody knows how long CORE is going to take to completely stand on it's own, but it's a safe assumption that it will need Lightwave modeler and layout for at least a few more years. And that's a minimum.

CGicore, have you used Lightwave before or just Modo? Some other app?

cgisoul
06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
The first time I used LW was like 15 years ago, the early times, but only for testing and really for a play. Besides modo at home I have used 3ds max at work for small projects, nothing major.

That's a good suggestion and I will definitely be looking forward to CORE even being a wip app. I guess we could share more thoughts about CORE once I get in the wagon next week.

colkai
06-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Totally worth Learning 9.6
I think for the foreseeable future, it's darned unlikely that skills learned in 9.6 will fade against "core" skills.
To be honest, I don't see 9.6 being replaced by a single unified CORE for at least 2 or 3 releases. They may call it LWHC or LW with Core technology or whatever, but fundamentally, it means, LW9.6 based workflow should still be viable for along time yet.

Really, there are things out there relating to LW5.6 which are still viable today, such as ye olde spinning light trick.
Just that with 9.6, the toolset is somewhat better, moreso if you happen to have LWCAD which props up modeller considerably along with Pictrix and Trueart free plugins. Without them, modeller can look a bit creaky.

cresshead
06-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I am getting my license next week in Hong Kong, I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on the following.
Although CORE is a work in progress app, Newtek has shift their attention on developing CORE. Is it even worth spending the time to learn LW 9.6? Would be nice to know your thoughts.

Thank you.

three answers to you question

1.YES
2.YES
3.YES