PDA

View Full Version : Houdini 11, sneak peek

Netvudu
06-04-2010, 08:34 AM
incoming...

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1752&Itemid=316

dballesg
06-04-2010, 09:17 AM
The calculation times for the break up dynamics are incredibly fast! :) I wonder on which hardware they run them.

And the OpenGL Volumes looked great! :) Maybe something that HyperVoxels could implement.

David

COBRASoft
06-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Impressive!

safetyman
06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
That geometry-based lighting is really cool.

hrgiger
06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes, I love the Voronoi-based fracturing for dynamics. I would love to see something like that in CORE.

RebelHill
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
That geometry-based lighting is really cool.

"The Geometry Lights let you turn any 3D object into a light emitting surface then use a surface shader to control the light emission. The geometry can also be animating or deforming for even cooler results."

Surely theres gotta be more to it than that... I mean cmon you could do all that in LW6

OnlineRender
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Surely theres gotta be more to it than that... I mean cmon you could do all that in LW6

Agreed, but did you notice the presentation and delivery of the product ? that's the difference .
---------
Edit
---------

And I don't mean "but that dosn't matter because LW has more features ect ect ...its the way in all , it's handled .

cresshead
06-04-2010, 01:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/12278051

the smashing of the objects looks like they took a look over at cebas plugins which were used on 2012 film...using Volume breaker.
http://www.cebasstation.com/index.php?pid=product&prd_id=77&feature=912

the lights on the surfaces of the objects reminds me of the cebas plugin called "luma object" waaay back for 3dsmax 4

of course it didn't give to the result in the viewport! and took a while to render so this really seems to move that technology forward from back in 2001 to now in 2010

CGI Addict
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Agreed, but did you notice the presentation and delivery of the product ? that's the difference.

Agreed.

Weetos
06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Quite impressive, indeed. Keep in mind we're talking about a $8000 piece of software though, for a single seat (not to mention upgrade costs and network license). I seriously doubt NT would ever implement this level of features in future releases of LightWave.

monovich
06-04-2010, 05:22 PM
that dynamic fracturing is killer.

Netvudu
06-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Regarding the smashing of objects, itīs not that they looked at any Max plugin, itīs that the underlaying technology that all of these shatter tools are using (in Maya, Softimage, Max and Houdini) is the same. The procedural nature of Houdini makes it specially effective as the process involved between shattering one geometry and another is just reconnecting one node, otherwise itīs pretty similar to what Rayfire does for Max.

As I explained above, we were already using a python-driven tool inside Houdini which did this, but now Iīve been told it works faster, and itīs more flexible. Also, itīs native, not a plugin, which is always needed for effects because you will want it to interact with other tools as seamlessly as possible.

Moreover, let me point that itīs not just a "modelling" tool. You can use rigid body dynamics over a NON pre-shattered geometry and it will shatter it dynamically around the impact point when the collision happens.

Iīve also been asking about the geometry lights, and now I understand why it is interesting. Itīs not the equivalent to our "luminosity". It makes the geometry act as an actual light. It generates direct lighting, so no GI is needed for it to work, but it still checks the shader assigned to the surface so that the light has the proper color/tint and intensity. Its sampling is also way more effective compared to the traditional "emission" methods.

So this feature is also nice. Itīs similar to our DP Custom light, but with faster sampling for dense geometry.

Overall, I still think multi-threading for most tools is a less "flashy" feature, but probably the most interesting of them as it affects the whole workflow.

Captain Obvious
06-05-2010, 07:54 AM
"The Geometry Lights let you turn any 3D object into a light emitting surface then use a surface shader to control the light emission. The geometry can also be animating or deforming for even cooler results."

No, you could not. Lightwave has no geometry-based lighting, unless you use Denis Pontonnier's third party light.

hrgiger
06-06-2010, 11:50 AM
No, you could not. Lightwave has no geometry-based lighting, unless you use Denis Pontonnier's third party light.

Isn't using luminous polygons with radiosity in Lightwave a geometry based lighting?

MrWyatt
06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Isn't using luminous polygons with radiosity in Lightwave a geometry based lighting?

That is not the same. a geometry light like the one in Houdini11 or the one of Denis is actualy a light source that fires light rays into the scene. basically without any form of radiosity. think of it loke an area light only that it takes the shape of an object as it's source and the shading on the geometry tells the light how bright and in what colour it should light the scene.
so The Geometry light in Houdini 11 is really just like the one from Denis.

zarti
06-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Overall, I still think multi-threading for most tools is a less "flashy" feature, but probably the most interesting of them as it affects the whole workflow.

yes.

houdini users have been asking a lot about the performance and OGL improvements to be the main targets on H11 . and now they have those .

that's what i liked most from side-effects folks in this version's sneak-peek , because ' shiny ' htmls and flashes aren't of the same importance to users .

good job there and a lot to learn too .

hrgiger
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
That is not the same. a geometry light like the one in Houdini11 or the one of Denis is actualy a light source that fires light rays into the scene. basically without any form of radiosity. think of it loke an area light only that it takes the shape of an object as it's source and the shading on the geometry tells the light how bright and in what colour it should light the scene.
so The Geometry light in Houdini 11 is really just like the one from Denis.

Ah, I see, that is a big difference. I've found Luminous polys quite limiting and quite noisy in a lot of instances so that does sound much better.

erikals
06-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Agreed, but did you notice the presentation and delivery of the product ?

http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/dito.gif

Matt
06-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Ah, I see, that is a big difference. I've found Luminous polys quite limiting and quite noisy in a lot of instances so that does sound much better.

This is because of how GI in LW works, fired rays have to 'find' luminous surfaces by chance, they are not 'directed' to them like direct lights, so too few rays and you get noise and/or not very luminous effect. I think this is right.

erikals
06-08-2010, 05:31 AM
you might be able to use the "locked GI" trick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGjb3n898pE

Captain Obvious
06-08-2010, 05:48 AM
This is because of how GI in LW works, fired rays have to 'find' luminous surfaces by chance, they are not 'directed' to them like direct lights, so too few rays and you get noise and/or not very luminous effect. I think this is right.
Yep, that's basically correct.

Greenlaw
06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Quite impressive, indeed. Keep in mind we're talking about a $8000 piece of software though, for a single seat (not to mention upgrade costs and network license). I seriously doubt NT would ever implement this level of features in future releases of LightWave.

Or $100 bucks for the Apprentice HD edition, which essentially gives you all the same features as the $8000. Some of us here got Apprentice HD to learn Houdini on our own so we could work with the full version at work licensed by our studio. (I'm talking about Rhythm of course, not LGD.)

The Apprentice HD version is great for learning Houdini, whether your a pro or hobbyist, and you can also use it for non-commercial productions.

I hope they will have an upgrade path to Apprentice HD version 11. :)

G.

Netvudu
06-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Greenlaw, Iīm qpretty sure they will have the upgrade path for Apprentice HD version 11, considering they had one for version 10 (which I took advantage of), and they already announced Apprentice users will be able to play with the beta for 11 around mid-July.

jasonwestmas
06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Just found some time to learn some Houdini apprentice. Should help out some day with my own personal stuff. Always looked like a cool app but looks like it takes quite a bit of discipline to use effectively. I'll soon see.

Greenlaw
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Netvudu,

Thanks for the info! I don't actually get to use Houdini as much as I'd like but I'm still looking forward to the update.

G.