PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #84 - Your Favourite Toy

Iain
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #84 - Your Favourite Toy
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: Your favourite toy

This could be interpreted in a few ways (but not that way!) :

1) Your nostalgic favourite from when you were young.
2) Your favourite current toy (maybe you have kids, maybe not)
3)Your favourite toy as an adult (gadgets/sport/technnology etc etc)

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 9th June 2010, 2200 GMT

OlaHaldor
06-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Hahaa! Fun topic! :) Reminds me of a project I did yeeaaaaaars ago. I'll redo it now - and this time - done much better. I can't believe I actually pulled it off back then. Humdidumdidum.. :boogiedow

oliversimonnet
06-03-2010, 05:26 AM
hehe ye this one sounds fun :)
@OlaHaldor: im looking forwards to seeing what you do :)

OlaHaldor
06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
It's not too special. Just a Brio train. I'll see if I can get a proper render of it if LW will stop crashing on me... :devil: Damn you, LW for mac..

Triodin
06-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Those were totally my favorite toys growing up!! lol!!

Kuzey
06-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Coolness....I have to check out some of those Japanese tin toys :hey:

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
06-05-2010, 06:21 AM
hello all
i remember when i was younger this was my favorite toy hehe
85391 85392

COBRASoft
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi,

My most favorite toy for many years has been Lego (Technic). I would still play with it if I had the time :D.

Modelling about 40 minutes. Texturing way too long. I'm still not happy with the 'plastic' look, but I have no idea how to get it right either.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Hopper
06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
*sigh* ... I guess I'll have to save my totally useless inappropriate response for next time. This one's a bit too easy. :)

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 03:37 AM
@COBRASoft: ooo God ye i should have though of Lego hehe
i must have had a few hundred quid of Lego when i was younger, it all got stolen tho when i moved house once :(

good bricks :)

@Hopper: hehehehe :)

chco2
06-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Darn, you beat me to the punch. Almost finished with mine.
Think I might enter it anyways..

Hi,

My most favorite toy for many years has been Lego (Technic). I would still play with it if I had the time :D.

Modelling about 40 minutes. Texturing way too long. I'm still not happy with the 'plastic' look, but I have no idea how to get it right either.

Greetings,
Sigurd

COBRASoft
06-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Oliversimonnet: That's bad man, all stolen? I still have all the Lego since I was 7 years old. If Technic brings out a very special vehicle, I would still buy it!

chco2: sure, I'm looking forward to your plastic surface :).

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 06:00 AM
@COBRASoft: ye i no, i wasn't to happy about it
and i think your plastic surface looks ok, maybe just needs to be a little less reflective :)

Kuzey
06-06-2010, 06:19 AM
It's not Japanese but Canadian...go figure..hehe :D

Slightly off model, it took 58 minutes and I hope to finish it this week.

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 07:35 AM
very nice i like that
what colour it going to be?
good job :)

Kuzey
06-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks oliversimonnet...I think I'll stick to the red and yellow theme (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1gf72AuYzM0/SfHdKMcelFI/AAAAAAAABDM/mOsBbPM7VUU/s400/Chime+Racer+A.jpg) :hey:

I might edit mine to match the original or just keep it off model...not sure yet.

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 08:02 AM
aaa ok cool cool :)

chco2
06-06-2010, 08:50 AM
ok, done already but did put some 35 mins modeling and 30 mins texturing in there, so I thought i'd share it anyways ;)

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/lego.png

wire:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/lego_wire.png

closeup:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/lego2.png

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 08:57 AM
very nice
i love the little logo sign on the bricks :)

chco2
06-06-2010, 10:32 AM
thanks !

very nice
i love the little logo sign on the bricks :)

chco2
06-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Here's another one I did a while back. Actually did own one of these when I was young (waayyy back ;))

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/render_play_castle.png

Even created a short anim of it .. http://2lk.nl/lb

OnlineRender
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM
It's not Japanese but Canadian...go figure..hehe :D

Slightly off model, it took 58 minutes and I hope to finish it this week.

Kuzey

Love the way you spank they poly'z . flows smoooooooooth

Kuzey
06-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks OnlineRender :thumbsup:

Well...it didn't take a week to finish..hehe.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
06-06-2010, 02:57 PM
ahh.... LEGO was probably one of my favorites growing up but I went with something that my daughter loves playing with now... I'll try to get to texturing in a day or two. :) Probably about 40min modeling but then I wanted to model the tiny logos so it's really close to an hour now. ;)

JeffrySG
06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Love the way you spank they poly'z . flows smoooooooooth

:agree: looking great!

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
@JeffrySG: a that looks brilliant.
just like the one my little bro has :) well use to have not played with it since he came out of hospital. but yours looks just like the real thing
good job

JeffrySG
06-06-2010, 05:15 PM
@JeffrySG: a that looks brilliant.
just like the one my little bro has :) well use to have not played with it since he came out of hospital. but yours looks just like the real thing
good job

Thank you, Oliver. :) I really like your gameboy too! I never owned one but always thought they were cool!

I had some time tonight for the render. I recreated the reflective foil texture in the clear ring and used a photo texture for the ground plane. The rest of the textures are procedural. A few hours for setup and rendering, here.

chco2
06-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice!

I had some time tonight for the render. I recreated the reflective foil texture in the clear ring and used a photo texture for the ground plane. The rest of the textures are procedural. A few hours for setup and rendering, here.

oliversimonnet
06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
@JeffrySG: no problem. Thanks. Ye they were cool back in there day :)

oo very nice
that looks very real :)

good work :)

JeffrySG
06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys. :) I forgot the 2nd yellow ring in the first render so I added it in this one.

stevmjon
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Oliversimonnet: That's bad man, all stolen? I still have all the Lego since I was 7 years old. If Technic brings out a very special vehicle, I would still buy it!

chco2: sure, I'm looking forward to your plastic surface :).

i was trying to save all my lego. in my 20's i was sharing a house so left all my lego & toys at mum's house for storage. after several years she said "it's about time you gave all this stuff to your neices & nephews". i reluctently agreed, it was a sad day.
later, when i visited my nephew, he showed me how he had pulled apart every lego piece, and was selling it by weight on e-bay.
sigh, another sad day.

stevmjon

JeffrySG
06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
i was trying to save all my lego. in my 20's i was sharing a house so left all my lego & toys at mum's house for storage. after several years she said "it's about time you gave all this stuff to your neices & nephews". i reluctently agreed, it was a sad day.
later, when i visited my nephew, he showed me how he had pulled apart every lego piece, and was selling it by weight on e-bay.
sigh, another sad day.

stevmjon

ugg... That's just sad. I think I sold mine in a garage sale when I was in my teens. I wish I kept it all now. Between my brother and me we had a ton. It's so expensive these days too.

COBRASoft
06-07-2010, 04:55 AM
It's indeed very expensive these days. I still have ALL the Lego that I bought during my live. I even have the Mindstorm Robotics set (v1 and v2) :D.

My other 'toy' was an C128 and later an Amiga 1200... I can't model that in 60 minutes though.

Iain
06-07-2010, 05:18 AM
I think this is the best standard we've had for a while!

Great entries.

Cracking renders too from Chco2 and Jeffry-that last one looks like Maxwell Jeff! :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
06-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks guys. :) I forgot the 2nd yellow ring in the first render so I added it in this one.

That's awesome , looks real . . . . nice work . . . .

Iain
06-07-2010, 05:31 AM
The daddy of robotic remote control trucks (circa 1980!)

Bigtrak. Modelling: 45 minutes. Texturing: very, very bad (ran out of time!)

lesterfoster
06-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Rubik’s Cube: I have several different types. I hope to have time to model some of my others.
Thanks

Crossfire
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi,

Greetings,
Sigurd

Awesome! Beautiful render as well!!:thumbsup:

Kuzey
06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Nice work guys :thumbsup:

Here's a finished render and there's more on the blog.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I think this is the best standard we've had for a while! Great entries.
Cracking renders too from Chco2 and Jeffry-that last one looks like Maxwell Jeff! :thumbsup:

That's awesome , looks real . . . . nice work . . . .
Thanks! much appreciated! :)

Ok, I totally remember those! Didn't you program it to move in a specific pattern or something? I think I still remember the commercial. I think I'm dating myself now too.... Cracking model and render!!

Kuzey
That looks really slick all rendered! Love the worn metal!

JeffrySG
06-07-2010, 09:21 AM
lol, thank you YouTube!

BIGTRACK!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6V-tuOf3dE

I love the "up to 16 commands!"

OnlineRender
06-07-2010, 09:35 AM

is that wall - wall carpets , you must have been posh :D , lol , nice model .

OnlineRender
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
lol, thank you YouTube!

BIGTRACK!!

WOW 16 Commands , Left(1) Right(2) Back(3) forwards(4) rotate clockwise(5) ,rotate anti-clockwise(6) .............. LOL

chco2
06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Ouch!
Well how about this one..
Had the Amazing Spiderman (and the Spectacular Spiderman) series from 1 to about 100.
Mom threw(!) them in the trash after a cleaning day when I was about 18 years old.
Never forgave her that!

sigh, another sad day.

stevmjon

JeffrySG
06-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Ouch!
Well how about this one..
Had the Amazing Spiderman (and the Spectacular Spiderman) series from 1 to about 100.
Mom threw(!) them in the trash after a cleaning day when I was about 18 years old.
Never forgave her that!

ouch! that is beyond wrong!!!

oliversimonnet
06-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Kuzey

very nice

good job :)

Rubik’s Cube: I have several different types. I hope to have time to model some of my others.
Thanks

haha cool a Rubik's cube, im no god at hem hehe
nice work

that looks cool
and you to, good work :)

Iain
06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
lol, thank you YouTube!

BIGTRACK!!

Hah! Cool!
Do I feel old now :)

stevmjon
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
this is a great subject. reminding me of my happy childhood & toys i cherished.

i am going to enter this one, modelling my favourite lego castle. i can't believe i googled it, and found it on the first page (the yellow castle).

cool renders everyone. i like your old toy look, kuzey.

stevmjon

p.s. if a can't finish in time, i will still enter as a late entry, spending extra time on the model until it is complete.

Iain
06-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Another nostalgic one for me. Rebound - I loved this game!
Mine was bright yellow (70s) plastic but the reference for this one was much nicer. 35 minutes modelling............

JeffrySG
06-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Mine was bright yellow (70s) plastic but the reference for this one was much nicer. 35 minutes modelling............

Great renders! I seem to remember those 'balls' but I don't really remember the game itself.

a sandwhich
06-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I may not have been around when rebound was made, but my dad had the game and that was fun!

colkai
06-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Oh man, would you believe, I actually found my old rebound in the loft when we had new insulation put in this year! It went off to a charity shop along with "game of life" - I'd wager somebody has probably bought it to revisit their childhood. :p

Chris S. (Fez)
06-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Kuzey

Nicely done. Nailed the surface.

Iain
06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
- I'd wager somebody has probably bought it to revisit their childhood.

I would have! Nostalgia's always better than the real thing though. I realise that when I watch old Knight Rider or A-Team episodes. They're great in my memory!

I had another game I loved where you had a gun at either end and you fired ball bearings at each other's goals. Ring any bells?

Chris S. (Fez)
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I had another game I loved where you had a gun at either end and you fired ball bearings at each other's goals. Ring any bells?

Wow. That takes me back to a Christmas morning like 25+ years ago. Have no idea what it was called though. I'll ask my siblings...

Myagi
06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I realise that when I watch old Knight Rider or A-Team episodes. They're great in my memory!

I pity the fool who can't still enjoy them! ;)

oliversimonnet
06-08-2010, 06:11 PM
@Iain: oooh very nice model man
and nice and detailed to, good job :)

BlueApple
06-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Great entries everyone. Iain and Kuzey- especially nice work.

I haven't done one of these in a while, but thought this was a great topic. Hope to get a textured render up soon. Modeling: 40 minutes. Quicky render in FPrime.

Iain
06-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhh................

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2816/crossfire

Crossfire!

Iain
06-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Crossfire! :D

45 minutes modelling.

Kuzey
06-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Iain...that looks so dangerous...haha

Great work!!

Kuzey

Chris S. (Fez)
06-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhh................

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2816/crossfire

Crossfire!

Haha. That's the one. Some retro goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyg3kn0cfwE&feature=related

Iain
06-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Iain...that looks so dangerous...haha

Great work!!

Kuzey

Yep! My brother got the classic "You'll take his eye out!" a few times when we removed the guns for a duel.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Yep! My brother got the classic "You'll take his eye out!" a few times when we removed the guns for a duel.

Nice render. Convincing chipboard texture.

JeffrySG
06-09-2010, 07:31 AM

lol, that's what brothers are for!

Oedo 808
06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Some really great models and renders in this challenge.

I gave up on mine after my second attempt still hit twice the time allowed.

My sister and I used to love this game, anyone remember this one?:

JeffrySG
06-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Some really great models and renders in this challenge.

doesn't look familiar? does it use magnets or something like that? Nice model though! :thumbsup:

oliversimonnet
06-09-2010, 03:29 PM
oooh
very nice models Oedo 808 and Iain
my game boy looks awful now hahah :) you are all so talented and good. i will hopefuly be like that one day hehe, just a bit more practise ;)

good work fellas

Kuzey
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I never had one, but it looks like fun :D

52 minutes for the head.

Kuzey

Iain
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Man what the hell is that-some kind of office equipment compendium?
Great model though-if it had only been in the hour :)

Lots of good stuff this week.

I thought your Gameboy was pretty good Oliver, just a bit more detail required, especially on the curved areas.

The winner though has to be Kuzey with his car. Excellent model and I love the surfaces.

Well done all!:thumbsup:

Iain
06-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Please start one next week Kuzey! I'm losing the will.................

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1028335#post1028335

:cat:

oliversimonnet
06-09-2010, 06:08 PM
@Ian: thank you, ok i will keep that in mind for future models :)

@Kuzey: congrats man, i agree you should deffo be the winner

Oedo 808
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
oooh
very nice models Oedo 808 and Iain
my game boy looks awful now hahah :) you are all so talented and good. i will hopefuly be like that one day hehe, just a bit more practise ;)

Wut? Two hours work and a second attempt, not so hot when you consider that. I too liked the Gameboy, like Iain said, just a bit more on the curved areas. I used Rounder on the Edges I wanted curved (often on the entire loop where applicable, as though you get more geomtery, it tends to be less funky), or a Fillet plug-in for rounding point-edges on flat plane before adding thickness.

Nice model though! :thumbsup:

Thank ye. There was some good stuff on show this week, yours was very nice.

Great model though-if it had only been in the hour :)

Thank ye (I think, Mr forty-five minutes ;)), I blame Rounder's quirks for at least a half-hour extra, LWCAD 3 here I come!

doesn't look familiar? does it use magnets or something like that?

Man what the hell is that-some kind of office equipment compendium?

What!? You philistines! How dare you not recognize Space Attack! :p
(Could have gone the extra mile with textures, but as I well outside the limit, I couldn't be arsed as usual)

For those curious, you would place the gyro 'puck' onto the round white plastic thing poking out (in the middle at the back) from the base, the red latch would hold the puck in place, you would then turn the crank until the puck was spinning at a gazillion miles an hour, and then press the red button to release it into the 'arena'. After which you would battle it out sliding the 'paddles' left and right in a great game of real life Pong/psuedo air hockey. It was great! :D

Ahh, the mechanical sounds that came from that thing, and the gyro whizzing about pinging and ricocheting all over, then having a paddy when you scored and it still had to release all that energy in the little goal areas. Ha, lovely bit of nostalgia there :)

The winner though has to be Kuzey with his car. Excellent model and I love the surfaces.

Congratulations Kuzey, a very nice model, and so clean too, great texturing as well :thumbsup:

bazsa73
06-09-2010, 09:53 PM
sigh, another sad day.

stevmjon

You Have My Deepest Sympathy.
Some consolation, my favorite set of all times
http://vimeo.com/12339429

Kuzey
06-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Please start one next week Kuzey! I'm losing the will.................

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1028335#post1028335

:cat:

Will do :D

I'm thinking of doing a 2 week challenge again...maybe, "earth, wind and fire" as a topic...but it's still early :hey:

ps. Thanks guys!

Kuzey

Iain
06-10-2010, 05:24 AM
What!? You philistines! How dare you not recognize Space Attack! :p

You know it looks familiar now. I think there might have been a donated one at my school and noboby knew how to work it.

Your model is really accurate!

I'm thinking of doing a 2 week challenge again...maybe, "earth, wind and fire" as a topic...but it's still early

Cool-I do find though that the combination of 1 week, 60 minutes and a simple topic gets most replies :)

Kuzey
06-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Haha...that would be true, but I was thinking of giving you some breathing space. I might have it as an option and see how it turns out.

BTW...if anybody has any other topic ideas for the challenge...please post away.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
06-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Congrats Kuzey! Loved the car! Looking forward to whatever you come up with challenge wise.... :)

R.Feeney
06-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Great work all round guys.
Congrats Kuzey

chco2
06-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Congratz Kuzey!

And for a challenge.. as I mentioned earlier.. Art!
I'm currently creating various art using lw and need some more inspiration ;) And of course it can be a lot o fun watching the definition of "art" come to live by the artists here :D

JeffrySG
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Congratz Kuzey!

And for a challenge.. as I mentioned earlier.. Art!
I'm currently creating various art using lw and need some more inspiration ;) And of course it can be a lot o fun watching the definition of "art" come to live by the artists here :D

I like the 'art' cagegory!

Another thing I have been thinking of would be a kind of a twist on the speed challenges. What if for one challenge we all tried to model the same object that we had some reference pictures of. Then we can see how everyone goes about it differently?

Another idea that I had was to have a slightly more complex object and everyone picked one element from it. Then we join them all together and do a render!

Just some ideas... they may not work out as well as I imagine though. :)

stevmjon
06-13-2010, 05:04 AM
here is my late entry as promised. this is my favourite lego set, and i very much enjoyed making this. i got to virtually make my long lost castle again.

also, thanks for the kind words to those who commented on my 'loss' of all my lego.

scene and model included.

hope you like it, stevmjon

JeffrySG
06-13-2010, 11:57 AM
^that came out great! :)

Wittywop
06-15-2010, 01:06 AM
So I know I missed this challenge, was on vacation. I really wanted to make this model for this one though.

I think it took me about 60 minutes to render, not sure though got interrupted in the middle of making it. Stupid real work.

Needs some more details, but just ran out of time on it.

On a a side note, How do you make all the polygons face the same way? I saw a tutorial about it but couldn't remember where it was. When i was making the D pad i had some polys facing up and some down. had to go in and select the ones and flip them, thought there was an easier way.

Well let me know what you think.

Thanks

JeffrySG
06-15-2010, 06:59 AM
So I know I missed this challenge, was on vacation. I really wanted to make this model for this one though.

I think it took me about 60 minutes to render, not sure though got interrupted in the middle of making it. Stupid real work.

Needs some more details, but just ran out of time on it.

On a a side note, How do you make all the polygons face the same way? I saw a tutorial about it but couldn't remember where it was. When i was making the D pad i had some polys facing up and some down. had to go in and select the ones and flip them, thought there was an easier way.

Well let me know what you think.

Thanks

Looks nice!

You can use Detail-Polygons-Unify Normals to fix the flipped faces. :)

Wittywop
06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Cool Cool! Thanks

stevmjon
06-15-2010, 08:27 PM
^that came out great! :)

i am glad you like it. it is the first time i used GI lighting as well.

i am also thinking of making all the lego men and horses as well. will post again when i do.

stevmjon