PDA

View Full Version : Memory errors (layout crash) during preprocessing.

T-Light
06-02-2010, 01:42 AM
I have a scene I've so far managed to render out at 1600x1600 max. If I try to render any higher the rendering preprocessor stage (used for Sigma 2) just eats all the available system memory and kills Layout.

It's not a memory leak, the preprocessor isn't eating memory it doesn't need, it's just not checking when there's no more memory to be had.

Changing the 'Segment memory limit' doesn't help.

Is there any way round this, or am I stuffed for not upgrading to a 64 bit system?

Win7 32bit
LW 9.6
4 Gig system memory (3 in use)

T-Light
06-02-2010, 02:32 AM
More info.

My Win 7 machines memory layout...

Hardware reserved = 1025MB (unusable on 32 bit system)
In Use = 553MB
Modified = 35MB
Standby = 829MB
FREE = 1659MB

I've just read on a windows forum that the standby memory is supposed to be freed as applications need it. Doesn't seem to be working. The Layout preprocessor uses all of the FREE ram then crashes. Standby remains constant throughout.

Anyone like to guess if this is a windows 7 problem or a LW one?

T-Light
06-02-2010, 03:34 AM
More info pt II

Changed Automatic page file management to manual.

Microsoft love you to play with these settings in Win 7 so they make it easy to get to...
Start Bar/Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced tab/Performance button/Nother Advanced Tab/Virtual Memory/Change Button/Custom Size Radio Button.:devil:

It seemed to help, but only for a moment. As the preprocess went into zero free Ram, it started eating the standby RAM. Went well for 40 or 50 Meg then the modified memory took a hit (reduced down to around 20 Meg), at that point Layout upped stumps and retired to the pavillion.