PDA

View Full Version : Demoreel help

Skinner3D
06-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I am in the process of creating my second demoreel, which in keeping with my strange sense of life will be....uh....strange. :D :D
Anyway that isn't the point. I have ample space and oppurtunity to put models from my first demoreel into this one. Professionally what do you all think? Is that a good idea? Or is it better to put all new work into this one, and direct them to the old if the viewer wants to see more?

4dartist
06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Just use your best work, even if it's old. I sent a real into a company one year, they said, 'we'll think about it'. Then I updated a few parts with new work and took out the weakest and re-sent it a year later and got the job.

If you are sending it as a DVD, I suggest making the demoreal start and when it's done the DVD goes to a menu, they can then watch it again, or you can list additional work below the demoreel if you think they may be interesting in other work you have. If it's not strong work then don't bother with it. It may hurt more than help.

Just some thoughts.

halley
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this works. I have not had to look for a job in some time, but what I have done in the past is tailor my real to the job I am applying for. For example if it is a Motion Graphics job I will start with that and then trow in compositing and 3d animation, Photoshop work etc. I try to do the same with my resume. I have used this method to get work for the company I work for but have never asked for feedback

shrox
06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Targeted reels and resumes are very easy to with all that is at our fingertips, go with halley's suggestion.

4dartist
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Ya, I'd second Shrox and Halley's suggestion. Targeted is definitely a good approach. I would just avoid adding models or content purely because you have room for it.

Skinner3D
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Hmmm that gives me a lot to think about. I suspect that the current movie that I am making will end up being just a pretty movie, and I will have to actually make a real demo reel afterwards :D