PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave "Bugs"

retinajoy
09-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Maybe some of you have come across this article on cgchannel already. A project called "Bugs" using Lightwave with one guy animating all 350 or so effects shots. But for those of you who have not, here is the link.

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=1879&pageid=0

Wish I had cable to watch it. Has anyone seen it on the SciFi channel? Any good?

js33
09-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Yeah Joe Conti is cool. I don't see how he can get that much work done by himself. He had a little bit if help from Brad Carvey and his wife but just setting up the rigging on a couple of bugs.

I missed the first showing but I'm sure it will repeat. Also check out Joe's website contifilms.com. This guy puts out alot of work.

He also has 3 free models you can download from his site.

Cheers,
JS

comanche
09-13-2003, 12:44 PM
I read the article on cgchannel too. I can't watch the movie (here in germany) but will keep an eye on the website (contifilms.com). There is a making of to come soon.

retinajoy
09-13-2003, 02:21 PM
I checked out www.contifilms.com and dowloaded the trailer

http://www.contifilms.com/1/vid/Bugs_HiRes.asf (7.4megs)
http://www.contifilms.com/1/vid/Bugs_LowRes.asf (1.5megs)
http://www.contifilms.com/1/vid/Bugs.mpg (15.7megs best res)

Now that I have seen some tidbits of it, the CGI looks fine, especially as it is mainly done by one bloke. Put's the effects on some shows such as Andromeda to shame, which probably has a good sized (though I could be wrong) team on the effects .

Titus
09-13-2003, 11:39 PM
I don't want to troll but for me this looks like a B-movie.

takkun
09-14-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Titus
I don't want to troll but for me this looks like a B-movie. Here's a quote from the cg-channel interview:
I hope everyone had as much fun watching as I had making it. It's supposed to be a fun little film, not the next "Aliens" or "Jaws"-- there wasn't any time or budget for that-- but if you got some thrills, and maybe some laughs-- Then I've succeeded and I'm happy.EDIT: Ha, you're right! I just watched the trailer, it does look like a B-movie. But I thought it took place in a subway, not in a desert... maybe that's old footage... it was dated 1999.

retinajoy
09-14-2003, 04:44 AM
B movie it sure is, but good fun it could be. Many years ago when I was a young lad, I used to enjoy watching B movies such as alien rip off "Galaxy of Terror" , "CHUD", "The Stuff" (which made me suspicious of yogurt for awhile) and "The Blob". Anyone remember them? I guess for the last two, Hyper Voxels with particles would do the job.

takkun
09-15-2003, 02:24 AM
Yeah, B movies are great, but mainly for fodder for Mystery Science Theater 3000. Too bad that show isn't around anymore. But I do want to see this film, hopefully it'll be on Sci-fi again sometime.

Emmanuel
09-16-2003, 08:56 AM
CHUD, sure, wasn't that supposed to be "Canibal Human Underground Digger" ? LOL.
The Blob was awesome, as well as the bodysnatchers and all the Jack Arnold movies.
The first 51 version of The Thing was terrifying me to death when I saw it on TV as a youngster !!

gjjackson
09-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Emmanuel
CHUD, sure, wasn't that supposed to be "Canibal Human Underground Digger" ? LOL.
The Blob was awesome, as well as the bodysnatchers and all the Jack Arnold movies.
The first 51 version of The Thing was terrifying me to death when I saw it on TV as a youngster !!

Cannibalistic Underground Humanoid Dweller, if I recall.

Dyslexia? Cannibalistic Humanoid Undergound Dweller.

What really scared me when younger was the original Outer Limits. I found the first season on DVD. It's not AS scary but still gives some of the emotion, even though the effects may seem cheezy.

Nemoid
09-18-2003, 07:31 AM
I'd like to see Conti's movies but I can't (Italy here). if he realized the cool fx all in Lw by himself this man is great!
( but I think he has some collaborators indeed.)

however I have no prob with B movies if they are good

who saw Peter Jackson's Bad Taste , Brain dead and Meet the Feebles movies? yes he's THAT Peter Jackson...:D

Emmanuel
09-18-2003, 08:42 AM
"The Frighteners" was rather cool, too.

retinajoy
09-18-2003, 08:57 AM
It seems that, be it very low budget (Bad Taste) or using lots of money (LOTR), Peter Jackson always does good stuff. I wonder if he will keep it up with his next film, the 'King Kong' remake. Maybe he should do it B movie style with a man in a rubber suit.

Whylee
02-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by retinajoy
Now that I have seen some tidbits of it, the CGI looks fine, especially as it is mainly done by one bloke. Put's the effects on some shows such as Andromeda to shame, which probably has a good sized (though I could be wrong) team on the effects.

Ahem. Caught that comment and had to say something. Much of the CG has been stepped up this Season IV on Andromeda. I joined as the vfx lead artist of the inhouse vfx deptartment and though we still have a ways to go, I feel it's looking pretty "decent" at this point. Second half of the season is much more solid looking and this is all just a set up for plans for a visually stronger Season V. Vfx wise it's a brand new show in many respects. You should check it out ;)

retinajoy
02-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Hello Whylee,

Those shots look really good. I think I saw them on another thread and said so there too. We only just finished season 2 on terrestrial TV here in UK so my earlier comments were based on those. Wasn't it Lost Boys using Maya for those seasons? Very poor I thought as they almost just looked good game quality.

The andromeda in your shots look slightly different (a lot better) from earlier seasons. Has it been remodelled/textured in LW, or is it just the quality of the LW renderer?

Emmanuel
02-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Yep, looks pretty good, probably as good as StarTrek stuff.
But I never could stand that ship :)
Nor the crew.
Nor the stories.
But the new "soft" look gives the ship some kind of insectoid appearance, which looks rather organic and cool.

Whylee
02-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by retinajoy
Wasn't it Lost Boys using Maya for those seasons? Very poor I thought as they almost just looked good game quality.

The andromeda in your shots look slightly different (a lot better) from earlier seasons. Has it been remodelled/textured in LW, or is it just the quality of the LW renderer?

Well many studios in season one and two were doing visual effects. Lost Boys, Rain Maker and I believe North West. I can't saw who did which shots as I wasn't around. But I know Lost Boys and Rain Maker for example have done some really strong work on other projects, but again I don't know what they did on Andromeda.

The Andromeda model was modeled by Lost Boys using Maya and we ported it to LW. From there in the above shots it has been retextured a bit. As far as the "a lot better" look I can't say it's one thing. Yeah LW has a strong renderer, but I've done stuff like that in Maya as well. I'd say combination of lighting, retexturing and comp work are making the largest difference vs which renderer is being used on the show.

Again it's not always what tools you have but how you use them.

Emmanuel... Well what can I say? I can only speak for what I post ;)

Anyway, thanks for the compliments guys. Just trying to show some of the newer things being done as the show is in a visual transition.