PDA

View Full Version : Possible community project: larpfx

Ernest
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Today, a video gaming site posted an article about a thing called larp.
The article is at http://kotaku.com/5551447/when-role+playing-gets-real/gallery/

Something that startled me was the amount of videos on Youtube of people doing these live role playing reenactments, recording them and posting them online. Most of them are delightfully horrible, with no sense of lighting, no color correction, shaky camera, no transitions, massively interlaced...

So it got me thinking that we usually start these community projects with a lot of people being very enthusiastic trying to come up with an idea, an organization, a script, designs, a storyboard... and by that time, there's nobody left.

How about we choose one of these crazy videos, ask them for the uncompressed original footage and add the best AAA production quality VFX that the collective LW community can muster.

We wouldn't have to worry about scripting or directing. We'd get the footage and we'd have to work with what we get, just like in any VFX project, really (suffer!). We wouldn't spend any time in overhead (other than choosing the video) since this is something that would be very easy to hit the floor running with. That way people wouldn't get bored and fade away before even starting the Lightwave parts.

There's so much that can be done, from tracking a foam sword and making it a flaming or an ice sword, to visualizing nightmarish spells or even adding some CG creatures walking around, if anyone has that kind of time.

If you find worthy candidate videos and we get 5 posted in this thread, we can make a poll right away to choose one. If not, we can post a challenge from the LW community in Youtube asking Larpers to to film their best "session" ever and the winner will get vfx added to their video.

What's in it for us? Showing the before and after, comparing to the original video.

Captain Obvious
05-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow, that was a fascinatingly insane little comic that has absolutely zero relation to any kind of serious LARPing. And, yes, I am actually enough of a nerd to have run around in the forest. But most LARPs are not like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU).

StereoMike
06-01-2010, 02:54 AM
zoMG !!!one!!1!eleven!!that avatar larp was hilarious!!!