PDA

View Full Version : LiveText2 and DataLink

Ivankf
05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Is Live Text2 already for sale?

Is newtek planning to update the internal CG from SD Tricaster models?

There are many bugs with internal CG and after more than one year from the first posts here in the forum, they didnt fixed it.

Like this post: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100749
Dated 07-30-2009, 02:22 PM

Another question:

How DataLink works in the new Livetext2? Is it integrated with the Livetext2 stand alone solution or only integrate with the CG in tricaster?

For example: Im looking for a best solution for live lyrics display. Im using LiveText with my Tricaster Studio. But the process to create all the slides in LiveText is very long, slow and unproductive.

Before this, we were usign powerpoint to display the lirycs, but with this process i lose the tailly light function, because the cameras needs to be changed using the FX channel.

Im think maybe with LiveText2 and DataLink i can run Livetext2 in an external computer, (like today), but the lirycs update came from a .txt file.
Like this:

Lirycs generator (.txt file creator in livetext2 computer) ---> Livetext2 ---> Tricaster Studio (via Ext Overlay)

With this process i can develop a simple program to write the .txt to update Livetext.

Will it works?

thanks,

Ivan
First Baptist Church in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

SBowie
05-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Is Live Text2 already for sale?If not, it's imminent.

Is it integrated with the Livetext2 stand alone solution or only integrate with the CG in tricaster?Datalink functions (and some new features in the same vein) are built right into LiveText 2.

With this process i can develop a simple program to write the .txt to update Livetext. Will it works?It should work just fine, yes. You'll have to account for longer lyrics, multiple lines, and the like in the way you format your text file.

adebats
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Steve,

I have one question. We have bought livetext and datalink so this upgrade is fantastic.

We have different teams go out to do different jobs on events but livetext seems to be PC specific where I would think the best thing would be to tie it to a single Tricaster but allow many PCs to install the product. My plan was that livetext would be installed on the laptop of the person running the Tric at that event.

I hope I have misunderstood the situation but if I haven't. How do I go about getting it deinstalled from a PC and then reinstalled on another.

thanks (maybe this should have gone into a support area)

SBowie
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks (maybe this should have gone into a support area)No, it's a very good question, and not an easy one to answer. The assumption is LiveText is installed on a single system. Moving it about regularly is really not a practical solution.

About the best suggestion, off top of my head, is to supply a laptop with LT2 with the TC (maybe as a rental).

cameraman91569
06-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Is there a manual floating around of how to use the DATALINK or to set up how the data is pulled in...the types of files, etc. I've already told my supplier I want LT2!!! Thanks for the update to an already good product.

SBowie
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I imagine the LT2 manual will be posted very shortly - Paul usually attends to that pretty quickly.

adebats
06-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks for your confirmation Steve - How do I actually go about clearing the install that is registered as the laptop LT was installed on for our playaround was rebuilt and no longer has LT on it.

This is not a great solution for us as it increases the gear required for a job by 1 laptop which has no other function other than LT on that job. Ideally it would be tied to the Tric but I understand that when you install it, you may not have a Tric linked.

SBowie
06-03-2010, 06:07 AM
This is not a great solution for us as it increases the gear required for a job by 1 laptop which has no other function other than LT on that job.I appreciate that, but honestly for the majority I think the benefits inherent with LT will outweigh that aspect.

If you have the DataLink plugin now and it's working for you, I guess you aren't really forced to change to a LiveText workflow ... which would let you continue as before. But I suspect you might find that LiveText 2 comprises enough additional ability that it overcomes that inclination. (I'm starting to foresee LT turning into something very, very cool as it continues to progress.)

As far as clearing the install, I guess that's a Customer Service (or partly, Sales) question. I'm not sure how the upgrades for existing DL owners are being handled.

Paul Lara
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Is there a manual floating around ...I've already told my supplier I want LT2!!! Thanks for the update to an already good product.

Here is the LiveText 2 User Guide:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LiveText/

adebats
06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
thanks for the answers Steve - I will bug my cust service contact shortly then - I hope you understand my point.

I am loving both Datalink and LT already... just need the graphics feature on datalink to come in now so I can have flags against names :)

ZachSchuster
06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
If you have the DataLink plugin now and it's working for you, I guess you aren't really forced to change to a LiveText workflow ... which would let you continue as before. But I suspect you might find that LiveText 2 comprises enough additional ability that it overcomes that inclination. (I'm starting to foresee LT turning into something very, very cool as it continues to progress.).

Heh heh... care to elaborate on possibilities? I know, I know, Newtek has no comments concerning future products. :)

I do agree, though, especially with Datalink supporting images now, this opens up a LOT of potential.

I've shared this here before but I'll say it again. I do think that the TCXD300 models should support Datalink input, especially as pertains to sports productions. With a scoreboard connection, or database link for live scoring, the ability to have Datalink native on the switcher would be awesome... Yes, that could be done on the stand alone version, but that limits the ability to transition in lower thirds and headshots, which is part of the ESPN "flair."

That being said, I know the system is already doing a lot and you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. :)

SBowie
06-06-2010, 04:45 AM
That being said, I know the system is already doing a lot and you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. :)I do not believe we are going to see a return to a TC Datalink plugin approach. Among other reasons, the new method offloads significant resource demands onto the CG workstation, and that's "A Good Thing". (Beyond even current benefits, it opens up bright new possibilities of what can be done in the CG realm without risk of overtaxing the TriCaster.)

To daal with your point about transitioning between CG pages, of course, with 850 (and its two network switcher inputs), you could actually run two satellite CG workstations, and there another 'as yet unrevealed' TCXD850 feature that could actually allow this all to happen even without LT2, and apart from DataLink, but it's not up to me to 'spill the beans', so I'll just tease for now. It's too early to say whether some of these '850-only' features can or will be offered for TCXD300 at some later point in time, but of course if you prepare your titles, graphics and headshots, (etc.) in advance, you can freely switch between them using two media players (or even just swap out some of the graphic elements using one of the overlay channels).

Ivankf
06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Guys,

What about tricaster updates, no word about this?

Tricaster has serious software bugs, especially in internal CG, and Newtek insists on ignoring it. They say that it is a "known problem".

And what about Livetext2? any change in operation?

I download the manual, and i think that Livetext2 is just a "Livetext1 with HD support and Datalink incorporate". No advances in the production workflow.

The ability to control externally the CG in Tricaster is a must have, but the creative tools and work flow process in Livetext is far from ideal.

Example: File manager in Livetext is terrible. We cant open multiple projects in the same window, like a tab in a browser or multiple documents in office tools. We cant move/copy/paste slides between projects.

I was waiting a completely new software with Livetext2 .... i think im wrong .... but as I have no alternative, I'll upgrade

Ivan

SBowie
06-08-2010, 12:32 PM
What about tricaster updates, no word about this?Correct (no word). I don't disagree that there are some known issues in the CG in the current release version, but I don't have any news of an impending update at this time, sorry.

I download the manual, and i think that Livetext2 is just a "Livetext1 with HD support and Datalink incorporate". On the one hand, that's not so far from the truth - but on the other hand, I have to say it trivializes some very complex upgrades.

Describing all of the details involved required a specification that ran to somewhere between 50-60 pages, and the work involved many people. To support HD, for example, the entire project format has been radically revised and improved, along with many aspects of the processing that go unseen by the user. This does benefit the user in more ways than one, notably a simpler workflow in which a single project format can seamlessly serve both 4:3 and 16:9 requirements correctly .

Also, the Datalink functionality, while based on the previous system, is really a very different implementation, being both more convenient and more powerful than before. All of these changes also lay the groundwork for even more powerful future versions of LT. Perhaps if you are not yet using HD, they are not so important to you - but they are to many.

Example: File manager in Livetext is terrible. We cant open multiple projects in the same window, like a tab in a browser or multiple documents in office tools. We cant move/copy/paste slides between projects.First, keep in mind that LT is not simply a CG creation app. Although it does have creation tools, it is also effectively a CG presentation application intended primarily as a live video CG network server for use with TriCaster and VT.

As such, there is an emphasis on reliable 'delivery' of content across the network. CG projects, being graphics heavy, tend to be resource hogs - and a realtime delivery system has to be capable of presentation of all constituent pages on a moment's notice. Attempting to handle multiple HD projects comprised of many pages would almost certainly degrade realtime performance, and the workflow you describe is simply not a design requirement. That said, to move multiple title pages from one project to another, you should know that you can readily load CG files exported from one project into another open project. While not allowing multiple concurrent projects, this certainly makes it possible to manage and move files.

hariman2000
06-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I just installed LT 2.0 and the first thing noticed was that it was in 16 x 9 and HD mode. I tried to change and there was no way to accomplish that. I loaded a previous project and was promted whether to load the 4 X 3 or 16 x 9 image. I chose 4 x 3 and it loaded fine but is in a HD 16 x 9 window. The production truck where the TriCaster is installed is not availble to check this, but won't the graphic be squeezed when it is output to the TC Studio and keyed over? Need to know before I build 120 parade graphics.

Also for those who are waiting for the internal CG issue to be fixed, remember it worked in the original product fine, so it is not impossible.
A year is long enough. If they don't have enough people, then get them.

ZachSchuster
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
In LT2 the edit window is always 16:9. That being said, you will notice some safe title margins for both 16:9 and 4:3. Just build the graphics in relation to the 4:3 margins. LT2 will crop the 16:9 margins when sending to a 4:3 TC project. In other words, if you build your graphics out to the 16:9 margins, they will not be squeezed, they will be cropped.

Since you have imported a project as 4:3, you will be fine.

Not the best approach, in my opinion... as the buttons to shift objects to left or right will always do it as 16:9 unless you have a network connection to a TC operating in 4:3. An option to make those alignments default to 16:9 or 4:3 would be nice.

SBowie
06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
... but won't the graphic be squeezed when it is output to the TC Studio and keyed over?No. All projects are now actually 16:9, square pixel, 1080 (this is actually one of the great things about LT2) ... but output is correctly handled whether for network output) or file export. This is all detailed in the manual, but do test it, of course.

Also for those who are waiting for the internal CG issue to be fixed, remember it worked in the original product fine, so it is not impossible.An endless list of bugs have been addressed in LT2 and its siblings. If you are aware of remaining bugs, please do re-submit them as Fogbugz cases.

SBowie
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
An option to make those alignments default to 16:9 or 4:3 would be nice.Good idea - please submit it as a feature request, Zach. (I disagree with the rest, though. It is hugely advantageous to have a unified project format, for any number of reasons.)

ZachSchuster
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Good idea - please submit it as a feature request, Zach. (I disagree with the rest, though. It is hugely advantageous to have a unified project format, for any number of reasons.)

Sorry, bad writing on my part. I agree that a unified approach is best. But the option to align based on 4:3 or 16:9 would correct the existing alignment problem with LT2. I will submit it as a feature request.