PDA

View Full Version : Can I go to Siggraph ?

rednova
05-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Dear Friends:

I would love to go to Siggraph, but I am afraid it be more expensive I can afford.
Is it possible to go to Siggraph on an economical package ?
An inexpensive way to be admitted ?
Please help me !!!

I would love to go and meet all these great lightwave people !!!

Love,

Rednova

LW_Will
05-30-2010, 02:56 PM
When I went out to my first SIGGRAPH in 1997, I came on a Greyhound Bus to California.
I also got tickets for the event from Newtek.
And I and two other guys stayed in a hotel room which we split.
I never eat in the convention center.
Got taken out to dinner once.
And, while I was out there, I took a ton of demo reels and dropped them off at the various booths (ILM, Digital Domain, R&H, etc).

Also, if you become a volunteer, you can get your housing and admission to SIGGRAPH. Look on the SIGGRAPH 2010 website.

It IS possible. It is vital, actually. It is a measure of your commitment to the industry (VFX or Gaming).

GO! you can figure it out.

See you in LA! We'll do lunch! B-)

Philbert
05-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Last time I went was 2004, I stayed very cheaply at a place in Pasadena called The Pasadena Inn, it was a pretty cheap motel though, they had a pool but it was closed and the water was all green. Luckily I was there with DAVE School and they were all staying at the Sheraton around the corner so I just hung out there when I wasn't at the convention, parties, etc. However Pasadena is not quite close to the convention center, so it only worked for me because the school had a bus that drove us all around.

After typing all that I realize it probably doesn't help you much. ;D

Titus
05-30-2010, 06:34 PM
If you can show some sort of student ID, the price for the convention is lower.

ericsmith
05-31-2010, 08:48 AM
If you just go to the vendor exhibition, that's free (at least it always has been). That's where the real action is, in my opinion.

eric

Philbert
05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
If you just go to the vendor exhibition, that's free (at least it always has been). That's where the real action is, in my opinion.

It's not free, but you can often get free passes from NewTek or other venders

JeffrySG
05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Last time when I went when it was in LA I ended up meeting some nice people from SCAD (http://www.scad.edu/) from Savanah, GA. They all drove together to get there. You could try to contact the school to see if anyone is making a road trip out there - and like someone mentioned you could either volunteer (might be too late to join) or just do exhibits which is the least expensive - or try to get a free exhibit pass from someone.

Titus
05-31-2010, 02:30 PM

eric

The last year exhibit was really poor and sad. Not worth to invest to travel just for the couple dozens companies showing their tech.

Philbert
05-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah it was in New Orleans and not much to see I understand. This year will be bigger I think since it's in LA and NewTek's going this year.

Twisted_Pixel
05-31-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm treating myself to a visit this year, the flights alone are enough to make your eyes bleed ><

Captain Obvious
05-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Last time I went, I got absolutely hammered for free, compliments of Autodesk! Thanks, Autodesk! :)

rednova
05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Friends:
Thanks all of you for your input. If Siggraph is not worth going to, then there is no reason for me to go. Maybe I should just save my money and go to NAB (which I never have been to also). Love !!!

Rednova

Lightwolf
05-31-2010, 07:01 PM
If Siggraph is not worth going to, then there is no reason for me to go.
It depends a lot on what you expect. Imho Siggraph is the only cg conference really worth going to, just a tad expensive to make every year (at least from across the pond).

However, I also see the show floor as a small part of the whole event.

Cheers,
Mike

Philbert
05-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Who said it was not worth going? I'm still wish I can go, I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not due to work.