PDA

View Full Version : Chrome wheel

Leprechaun
09-13-2003, 11:17 AM
How could i make this look really shiney and chrome like?
I know the modeling isnt all that great but i was jsut wondering on how to make it look chrome,thanks

Elmar Moelzer
09-13-2003, 11:22 AM
give ti something to reflect.
A simple gradient- backdrop might do for the beginning.
CU
Elmar

Leprechaun
09-13-2003, 04:00 PM
How exactly would i do that? I see where it has reflection stuff where u can put an image in, but when i put in an image it doesnt show up. Do i click on the t next to reflection and do it there, or do i do it in the other part? i've tried both but neither are working for me.Most likely im doing something really obvious and dumb but i cant figure out wut.
thanks

Stewpot
09-13-2003, 04:30 PM
If you go to the Environment Tab and select Raytracing and Sph. Map, then load an image in the next dialogue box.

Hope this helps.

ps. remember to0 turn on raytracing in render options in layout.

Leprechaun
09-13-2003, 05:07 PM
i cant seem to get this to look right. it looks somewhat chrome but its to white, and i cant get it just right, it either is to dark or to light like this. Also, what are those little white dots around the wheel?

richpr
09-13-2003, 07:32 PM
The white dots could be 1 point polygons left over after merging...

You could try the standard backdrop option which creates a blue gradient sky and some gradient ground as well...

Is anti-aliasing on as well...

Set specularity and glossiness to high values... 60-70 or higher

toby
09-13-2003, 07:48 PM
also set diffuse very low. reflection is inverse to diffusion, so with 80% reflection you should use about 20% diffuse.

I also use very low gloss, it gives the metal a "sheen", and let the reflection convey the glosiness.

If you want a good reflection, use a photograph - go to google and do an image search for "street" or "garage" - and use a big one, at least 800x600.

WizCraker
09-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Also there is a chrome surface preset included in Lightwave. That is also a good place to start below is an example of using rippled chrome on the sphere.

http://www.imagereality.com/Images/NewtekImages/chrome.jpg

Zafar Iqbal
09-14-2003, 07:59 AM
When using reflection maps, it's important that the map itself is good, since thats where the surface get's it "reflection" from.

Leprechaun
09-14-2003, 08:27 AM
where is antialiasing located? ive used it before ona tutorial but i forgot where it was. Also, what ive been wondering is that if you use a picture for teh reflection, how does teh reflection move when doing an animation? how would u set it so that say u had a car(computer generated) and it was driving through a city(which was also computer generated) how would the car reflect its surroundings as it moves?

toby
09-14-2003, 02:03 PM
AA is in camera properties.

The only way to get a spherical reflection map to work for your example is to create an animated one - it might be easier to just use raytraced reflections.

prospector
09-14-2003, 06:54 PM
instead of the chrome reflection, try the tinfoil or the Chandilear, and give them some rotation over a lenth of frames.

the colors of the Chandeilear (hmm neither way looks right in spelling:mad: ) give a nice tone to the chrome.

Leprechaun
09-16-2003, 12:49 PM
i took a pic from the gallery and it truned out pretty good, i just have to tone it down a lil because it doesnt look realistic, its to shiney lol. I have another question but ill post it in a new post so people can see it