PDA

View Full Version : Faster rendering

Leprechaun
09-13-2003, 10:53 AM
How can i make my render times shorter? Are there any settings i can do to make it faster?
thanks

toby
09-13-2003, 08:08 PM
well it usually involves lots of testing to make sure your settings are no higher than they need to be, like anti-aliasing. Test different levels of AA, # of threads to render, adaptive sampling level, - Other things you can do are using shadow maps instead of ray-traced shadows and reflection maps instead of r-t reflections.

trentonia
09-15-2003, 07:32 AM
Also, check your ray recursion and transparency settings. Another way to speed up renders is go to http://www.respower.com

Extent
09-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Trentonia: I think it's great that you love respower, and it's all well and good that you mention it in threads pertaining to screamernet and network rendering. But he asked how he can make his render times shorter, not how he can pay someone else to render for him. Respower is not the be all and end all of everything lightwave related.

I may be out of line here but I had to get that off my chest

Leprechaun: There are a lot of things you can do to lower rendertimes, but most of them are very dependant on the scene. keep the poly count as low as possible, don't turn up the quality on hypervoxels and volumetric lights higher than is needed. There are a million tricks to speed up lighting and doing fake radiosity...

papou
09-15-2003, 06:38 PM
trentonia, oooh yes please stop.

knuckles644
09-15-2003, 10:21 PM
What I would do, is buy a fast, cheap dell (2.4-2.6 P4), stick a gig of some fast ram in there, and also a workstation card and use that for network rendering. If the dell met all of the requirements (AGP 4x or 8x) and support for your ram ETC., it could all be done for less than $1000 :)

richpr
09-15-2003, 11:57 PM
When you start rendering turn off the raytracing options like:

Raytraced transparency
Raytraced reflection
Raytraced refraction

and add them back on depending on what is needed in your scene... if you have no transparent objects, you can do without refraction and transparency...

RT Transparency will make them a bit longer...
RT Reflection will make renders longer...
RT Refraction will make renders much longer...

Now if you use Radiosity and Caustics as well, it will be much, much, much longer...

While you are testing leave off as much as possible, for final renders turn as much on as is needed...

Other things involve your geometry of your objects as well... Like subdividing large planes etc.

richpr
09-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Network rendering is of course the other option... with some extra plugins/tools you can have a picture/scene cut up and rendered by many machines...

Most useful when you have to do 300 frames of an animation... I use ScreamerNet with 4 CPUs for that and it speeds up things considerably...

trentonia
09-16-2003, 12:18 PM
OK...OK...I can take a hint. I did make a couple of suggestions, but I will try to restrain myself in the future. My humble apologies.
trentonia

lasco
09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
few more comments about transparency…

If you're on Mac you should NEVER enable the RayTrace Transparency,
it's FULL BUGGING (hey NT's team did you read me there ? could Mac user
have a correct RT transparency).
And it even bugs so much that it renders FASTER than when disabled,
don't laugh at me it's true…
well actually i even wonder (hey NT's team please read me again) if
the enabling/disabling command of this RT are not INVERTED in Mac version !

Well and I'll add one more thing :
insure your transparent surfaces are SINGLE sided (Surface Editor window)
as often as possible. Double-sided transparent polygons EXPLODE you rendering
times…!