PDA

View Full Version : best renderfarm

Soth
05-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I wonder how many ppl are actually used commercial render farm in the past.

I am wondering if you as community could make any suggestions or requests that could help to make best possible service for lightwavers?

I am going to choose best posts/suggestions this topic and not only try to introduce it in the service but give free 1000Ghz render time (TM) :devil: to the author(s).*

* - Sorry our company does not support small print feature. :)

Soth
06-01-2010, 07:23 AM
No suggestions?

Guys, 1000Ghz to (according to Rebus calculator) 100EU worth of rendering. :)

I am giving it away for free, 1000 to anyone who will post as 3rd in this topic, 1000 to first suggestion and 1000 to best suggestion! :)

Let my signature not fool you, I will get 'few' more computers before I will start the business. :P

arsad
06-01-2010, 09:40 AM
me wants 1000 Hours ;) err Ghz

third.... ;) ;) ;)

arsad
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Well actually I have never used a commercial render farm.
Either my own little farm (now outdated) was enough or the place where I worked
had their own render farm. But I guess sometimes it can come in handy.

robyht
06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Used Rebus a few months ago, no problem other than no plugin support, which is pretty standard, would use them again when up against a fierce delivery. Generally too expensive for everyday jobs though.

Larry_g1s
06-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I've used Rebus in the past. Very good experience with them.

Used Rebus a few months ago, no problem other than no plugin support, which is pretty standard, would use them again when up against a fierce delivery. Generally too expensive for everyday jobs though.They support Kray.

zapper1998
06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I have 4 nodes
So far thats all I have every needed...
Of course I could always use more, but I do not know when I would need it...

michael

Eagle66
06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
The future is: Render Service tool for Cloud computing
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109506

1,95US$ per High-CPU machine per hour. Houdini 10 supports cloud computing today.

Soth
06-02-2010, 02:00 PM
The future is: Render Service tool for Cloud computing

But it is hard to work out what are exact specs of this machines and I will charge between $0.38-1.53/h

I hope LightWave will support this soon, I will provide the service. :)

There is another renderer where setting up render farm is matter of putting website address in the settings, just do not remember the name at the moment. :)

arsad
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
a small plugin that sends the scene or several to the renderfarm would be nice.

Matt
06-02-2010, 02:25 PM
a small plugin that sends the scene or several to the renderfarm would be nice.

Something else that would be useful is a pre-flight script (similar to the one in InDesign that checks your document for printing) but checks your scene for potential errors when rendering.

I was looking to have a go at doing one myself, the only thing that might get in the way would be whether all of the things you would check for were available to LScript.

Soth
06-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Something else that would be useful is a pre-flight script (similar to the one in InDesign that checks your document for printing) but checks your scene for potential errors when rendering.

RebusFarm have one, it is not perfect (I would say sometimes arbitrary when giving suggestions and warnings) but does (good) job.

For now whoever will use our farm will have me to check any possible errors and very good videotutorial. If we will not get bust too soon :) the script will follow.

Soth
06-06-2010, 02:35 AM
So it it is all there, ready to use, prices are 8 /4 /2 per Ghz/h*, I should be able to invoice next week.

More computers on the way and the website will be on-line soon, anyone wants to use it now, give me a shout on Skype or email [email protected] (for now Skype might be faster).

So to recap, this is family business, we run 100% on green electricity, when computers are not used for rendering they work to make our world better (more information soon) and most importantly we are 50-85% cheaper then competition!

* - real not euro . :D

PS All computers have HT enabled, but we are not charging for HT (as some farms do).

PPS There is still 1000Ghz to be won for best suggestion. :)

cresshead
06-06-2010, 04:11 AM
I visted Soth's render farm setup yesterday...results looked pretty impressive to me, he showed rendering from Lightwave and other renderers, he's running all new hardware and looking to add a few more render solutions soon in addition to Lightwave, pricing looks very competitive too.

Lewis
06-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I've used farms very rarely in past but recently at work we have more and more work what can't be finished on time with office machines so i did checkout few renderfarm prices. Then i find out Soths and i tested one crazy night IES scene (takes about 50 min per frame on overclocked i7 920 (3.6Ghz) so it would take me weeks to finish it in office :(. Then i visited/contacted Soths http://www.garagefarm.net/ and rendered all in under 2 days and it worked great. I can only recommend it and i like that he uses latest Xeons from i7 generation (nehalem/westmere) so they are much Quicker than previous ones in Q2Q series.

Also price is unbeatable and he is fellow LWaver :)

thumbs up for Soth and his renderfarm.

Hieron
06-07-2010, 04:39 AM
The website is epic Soth :)

Soth
06-07-2010, 06:19 AM
The website is epic Soth :)

I am working on it. :devil:

BigHache
06-07-2010, 06:40 AM
The Web site is great, reminds me of Two Men and a Truck (http://www.twomen.com/SiteFiles/501183/Images/Logo.png) moving service.

Captain Obvious
06-07-2010, 07:29 AM
thumbs up for Soth and his renderfarm.
I can second this! I used it just the other week, and Soth was very helpful and gave actual, personal support, and got all the plugins working -- I was using a LOT of third party stuff, and it all worked perfectly. I haven't used farms that often, but Soth's worked very well and unlike some, he actually installed plugins I needed just for that one job.

The Dommo
06-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Soth - your service sounds great, and you are UK-based too, so naturally I'd be more inclined to support ya!

Just want you to know that whenever I need a farm, I'll be looking to yours first from now on.

Tranimatronic
06-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Soth - your service sounds great, and you are UK-based too, so naturally I'd be more inclined to support ya!

Just want you to know that whenever I need a farm, I'll be looking to yours first from now on.

:agree:

Me too.

ps. love the website

BigHache
06-09-2010, 08:16 AM
PPS There is still 1000Ghz to be won for best suggestion. :)

Keep the current Web site design! :D

Soth
06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Keep the current Web site design! :D

won! :)

And again, everyone, thank you!

BigHache
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
won! :)

Yesssssss!!! :2guns: LOL

ericsmith
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
So it it is all there, ready to use, prices are 8 /4 /2 per Ghz/h*,

Can you give some details on how the multi-tiered pricing structure works? is it a priority thing, or something else?

Eric

cresshead
06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Can you give some details on how the multi-tiered pricing structure works? is it a priority thing, or something else?

Eric

when i talked to him on saturday he said it was a priority priced structure low to high 2 cents upto 8 cents per ghz per hour based on actual cores not counting hyperthreading so you will get some boost with well hyperthreaded scenes [us cents NOT euro cents by the way so a very competitive price structure i believe]..but no doubt best response would be from Soth himself!

Soth
06-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Forgive late reply, I am trying hard to finish the website. :)

There are three priorities, High, Medium and Low, most of the farms are not busy all the time, so lower priority might be good for saving money when you have loads to render and/or the deadline is not tomorrow morning. :)

Within the priority customers will be served 'first in first out' but new job with higher priority might pause lower priority one.

I am happy to render couple frames for free, then after transferring at least 1$ (via PayPal) I will render whole animation in 1/4 of resolution for free too!

If you will be happy to continue we are reaady to take deposit and render full res candy. :)

Eagle66
08-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Whats new at GarageFarm.net? I read at liberty3d.com 'Now Open' !?
Something i don't find in the FAQ:

a) what about third party plugins used in a scene (HD Instance, shaders, etc.)
b) Mulitipass Renders as EXR in different scene files for different Lightning?

But it looks great!

Soth
08-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Whats new at GarageFarm.net? I read at liberty3d.com 'Now Open' !?
Not too much. We just not in beta stage any more. :)

Something i don't find in the FAQ:

a) what about third party plugins used in a scene (HD Instance, shaders, etc.)
b) Mulitipass Renders as EXR in different scene files for different Lightning?

But it looks great!
That should answer your questions:
(but thank you for pointing out, I will update FAQ ASAP)

(...) I used it just the other week, and Soth was very helpful and gave actual, personal support, and got all the plugins working -- I was using a LOT of third party stuff, and it all worked perfectly. I haven't used farms that often, but Soth's worked very well and unlike some, he actually installed plugins I needed just for that one job.

EDIT: Regarding EXR, we do support it 100% and on top of it we should release very attractive exrTrader deal tomorrow. :)

Soth
08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi,
I have spent last hour putting imaginary rendering job in various 'Rendering Cost Calculators' on-line. This is what I get:

The job is 1000 frames - each takes 25 minutes to render on [email protected] - 416 hours of happy rendering at home. :)

company 1: 549
company 2: $729
company 3: 328
company 4: 300
company 5: $1000 / $500 if you choose low priority rendering

Many render farms having massive discounts in the offer, but there is a problem. Usually to get 10% discount you need to buy $1500+ of rendering 'credits', to get maximum 60% discount you need to spend $40.000 at once - this is the price of medium render farm. :)

There is problem with calculators, I did a lot of research how different processor architecture affects rendering speed and the differences can be massive. And there is a problem when one farm has more than one type of computer, will you be lucky or not, your final bill will wary - if you put the same job twice you will get charged different amount of money. Seriously - it is not only theory - I have checked this one.

I have not decided yet I will have calculator on my website.

But I did have prepared cost estimations for this job, two. Depending on your scene and computer that you have at home/in studio, you will finish somewhere between this numbers, in most cases in the low middle. So, here you are:

company 6: $320-200 (high priority),
$160-100 (medium priority)
$80-50 (medium priority)

Last one is for those who are not in rush, but do not worry it will get rendered wayyyy quicker than on your machine. :)

Bottom line is that GaragFarm.NET (http://www.GarageFarm.NET) is at least 40% cheaper than competition. But that is massive understatement, on average you will pay 1/4, under right circumstances it can be as little as 10%. Is it not worth to pay few bucks and give your clients better quality of the rendering and have less stress about deadlines.

And if you want to spend money on rendering anyway you might consider buying exrTrader, you will get discount coupon worth $50 of rendering - price for the plug-in is 39 - it is about the same. :)

And 1/4 resolution for free offer is still valid. Just need to pay $1 deposit.

QuakeMarine1
11-25-2010, 12:53 PM
There is problem with calculators, I did a lot of research how different processor architecture affects rendering speed and the differences can be massive. And there is a problem when one farm has more than one type of computer, will you be lucky or not, your final bill will wary - if you put the same job twice you will get charged different amount of money. Seriously - it is not only theory - I have checked this one.

thats wrong - user pay for processing power * time
simple example
a pc of 1 ghz render 1 hour = 1$
for the same job
a pc of 2 ghz render 30min = 1$
a pc of 60ghz render 1min = 1$
if your logic whould be true I sell all my nodes and purchase old slow Pentium PC insteat
with power* time we eleminate that issue and scale each CPU down to the smallest nominator which is ghz hour
(its pretty more complicate but to keep it easy ..)

your price examples miss one importent point -> the speed !
the 416 hour job example whould render on your farm incredible 23 hours
no other user can render for 23 hour then
it delays a low prior job for 1 day and can turn him to deadline troubble
my farm need 3 hour only ! thats why the price is different

dont get me wrong
if someone have time he can use a farm like yours
but if client request a modification 20 hour before fair/meeting/exhibition you cant help him
logic solution: more PC for your farm
logic consequence: more fix costs you need to cover
that cause higher price you need to charge
at the end you charge more less the same all do

andre

Phil
11-25-2010, 12:58 PM
It would be helpful to know if there are options for using per-node licensed 3rd party addons, such as Vue xStream. Most 3rd party plugins are free to use on rendernodes, but Vue XS and Ozone are not.

Soth
11-25-2010, 02:29 PM
thats wrong - user pay for processing power * time
What I am trying to argue here is that as render farm customer one should buy processing power at the place that is equipped with the latest hardware only. Please have look at comparison table that I just made:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pentium 4 3.2 1 3.2 0.53 0.165 603.8
Mac G5 2.5 4 10 2.01 0.201 497.5
Q6600 2.4 4 9.6 2.57 0.268 373.5
Q6600 3.6 4 14.4 4 0.278 360
2x Xeon X5365 3 8 24 6.33 0.263 379.1
2x Opteron 6174 2.2 24 52.8 14.72 0.279 358.7
Core 2 Q9550 2.8 4 11.2 3.44 0.307 325.6
Core i7 980 3.33 6 19.98 8.92 0.446 224
2x Xeon E5520 2.26 8 18.08 8.19 0.452 220.8
2x Xeon X5650 2.66 12 31.92 14.43 0.452 221.2

1 - processor
2 - Clock (Ghz)
3 - number of chargable cores
4 - clock for all cores (Ghz)
5 - Cinebench 11.5 score
6 - Cinebench score FOR ONE Ghz ONLY on this processor
7 - How many Ghz you need to purchase to get 100 Cinebench value in rendering

EDIT:
Comparsion made on assumption that farm is not charging for HyperThreading
You can see clearly that 1Ghz on farm equipped with most up to date processors presents highest value to the customer.
Only for the same processor architecture ~50% faster clock means ~50% better Cinebench result. (To see it clearly look at the table and compare processors with the same architecture).
Please keep in mind that Cinebench scene is relatively simple one - there is no 10GB of data that need to be accessed quickly - and we all know that computers with modern processors are equipped with faster memory too. I would expect i7/Xeons to be even faster with scenes that have loads of the data.

your price examples miss one importent point -> the speed !
No it does not, please have another look. :)

the 416 hour job example whould render on your farm incredible 23 hours
no other user can render for 23 hour then
it delays a low prior job for 1 day and can turn him to deadline troubble
my farm need 3 hour only ! thats why the price is different
The only cost that get up when I am having more computers is electricity - I admit it is important expense, if not the most important one - but please notice that almost everything else gets cheaper when you scale your farm up. Modo, LightWave, Cinema 4D, plug-in purchases - very often you need to buy only one. With other programs/plug-ins you can get attractive discounts when you starting buying in large amounts.

dont get me wrong
if someone have time he can use a farm like yours
but if client request a modification 20 hour before fair/meeting/exhibition you cant help him
I cannot deny that, but I will get there, more busy we are, more money we can safely invest. I am just in the process of replacing all processors here. :) The price that you need to pay to rent whole farm will go up - but the price for 1 Ghz will stay fixed.

logic consequence: more fix costs you need to cover
that cause higher price you need to charge
at the end you charge more less the same all do
I just simply do not agree with you here, I think high prices for rendering are due to lack of competition and possibly other factors - but not the one that you mentioned.

JonW
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
A GHz is much quicker on a current CPU compared to even the last generation of CPUs.

A x55/56xx or similar cpu, each GHz = fast
A x54xx or similar cpu, each GHz = a lot slower
A x53xx or similar cpu, each GHz = not worth turning on the machine

When it comes to radiosity, a current CPU is even quicker.

So in other words, for 1 GHz of processing power, a frame with radiosity will render much quicker on a current CPU than with 1 GHz of processing power on an older CPU.

3DGFXStudios
11-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Really Soth! This sounds really cool! I was using Rebus today (for the first time) and I have to say, it's pretty nice. The only thing that bugged me that when I was half way I was out of credits. So the calculator failed big time. If your farm works just as good as Rebus and if it's 50% cheaper... Well...You'll get my money :D

Are you planning to make a render button in LW like rebus has? Because that would be gold!

Soth
11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Well it is 50-75% times cheaper, but only if you are using this faster part of the Rebus, if you unlucky you can get your stuff rendered at Rebus 10x or even more expansive than at Garage Farm :O

Render button is something that I would like to do, but before I will invest a lot of money and time in programming I need to be sure that I have enough customers to support it.

But we are on the way to world domination, I just put 14 new X5650's in my render nodes. :D

3DGFXStudios
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Count me in! I'd really like to put your farm to the test :D

QuakeMarine1
11-29-2010, 04:06 PM
the "render button" of Rebus is called Farminizer
workflow and technology have a world wide patent - I whouldnt dare to copy it ;)

"""but only if you are using this faster part of the Rebus, if you unlucky you can get your stuff rendered at Rebus 10x or even more expansive than at Garage Farm
"""
why? what faster part ?

the costs calc. is correct as long the input is correct - i not know what 3dgfx have enter

for sure is a modern CPU better and faster
an old CPU of 1 ghz comparing to a modern CPU of 1 ghz can be doubble or tripple
both cpu have 1 ghz but not the same "power"
to kill that missbalance each farm compare each CPU to a Pentium 4 of 1 ghz
thats the base speed multiplier for all other CPU
Rebus have 210 8coreHT PC of total 4200ghz but its worth (?)9000pentium4 of 1ghz
for one hour farm do user pay 9000 P4 - not 210 8coreHT

how to estemate the job costs then ? its not simple
"user #cpu*core*ghz*time*price"
more exact is
"user #cpu*core*ghz*time*price*speed multiplier P4 1ghz"
depending on CPU it can be 1.0 (P4) or 13.xx (8core xeon HT)

it dosnt matter if the farm use old CPU or modern CPU - the price is the same - it just need longer to render on CPU X comparing to CPU Y

in other words
the hardware a farm have not affect the price - just the turnaround time of jobs

the lower the turnround time the more clients the farm can serve
so the farm need modern CPU for sure

now to Soth problem (imho)
you purchase 8 * 8coreHT cpu for X thousend $ and update to 6core cpu curerntly
to keep your farm up to date you need to purchase sooner or later 8coreHT cpu and more PC
if i can rent all your farm for 3$ per hour you do 75$ per day or 2200$ per month
how you cover electricity, rent, investents, YOUR TIME, sallery, tax , fix costs and things I forgotten here?
with the "normal" farm usage (what I assume) you need several month to have revenue

""I think high prices for rendering are due to lack of competition""

there are many farms outhere - it must have a reason the prices are more less stabil for years now - i am sure you will notice aswell once you have some more PC

JonW
11-29-2010, 04:44 PM
As said above. It doesn’t really matter which generation of CPU is being used.

The issue is: a lot of companies are saying they are using the fastest CPU, but they are charging you at a rate based on a crippled CPU.

At the very least it’s dodgy advertising, but I see it as down right lying.

It’s a bit like me telling a customer that I charge them $100 per hour, but I don’t tell them I will be working only 30 minutes per hour. So then it’s effectively $200 per hour.

The rendering rate whether it’s an urgent rate or an off peek rate needs a CPU efficiency factor included. If you are using old CPUs you could factor in a lesser efficiency rate. But the customer gets their renders based on X56xx CPU rendering efficiency.

If you are running X56xx CPUs then it’s “100%” . Lightwave on a current CPU with radiosity renders very efficiently with X56xx CPUs.

Soth
11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
At the very least it’s dodgy advertising, but I see it as down right lying.

Well, not all farms compare their speed to P4 and charge for it.

And having stable prices OVER THE YEARS even sounds not right. Not in this business. If the base unit it this old and rusty 1Ghz on P4 - should not the prices go down by half every 18 months?

JonW
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes, but you could count that computer only as a half.

Soth
12-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, but you could count that computer only as a half.
I am sure I will be fine as long as I will keep my prices on reasonable level - Pentium 4 was introduced in 2000.

Anyway, I have calculated our rates according to 'industry standard' and looks like we are charging 0.0077$/Ghz/hour! :thumbsup:

ericsmith
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey, is there any chance your farm supports FPrime?

Eric

Soth
12-03-2010, 09:05 AM
It does. :)

Soth
01-20-2011, 04:13 AM
I am writing just to let know everyone that we are moved to new office with faster internet connection and bought 14 new X5650's (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47922) ;)

We are the only one farm that provides free support and will help you to optimise and troubleshoot your scenes (if you want / need it).

cresshead
01-20-2011, 05:16 AM
significant render power....

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92023&d=1295525747

Soth
01-20-2011, 05:44 AM
haha, great!

some photos taken during the re-assembly (that took few hours :) ):

BigHache
01-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Sweet.

Soth
08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
there are many farms outhere - it must have a reason the prices are more less stabil for years now - i am sure you will notice aswell once you have some more PC

Just quick update on the topic, Rebus is running summer special discount - 75% off!!! :)

Still, GarageFarm is much cheaper :D, but I just wanted to quote their statement that I will realise that I will have to rise my prices when we will buy more servers (what we actually did few weeks ago). :devil:

Soth
01-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Hi,

With New Year we are dropping the prices from at least 25% all way up (or shall I rather write down) to 63%. :)

The price for 1 Ghz can be as low as $0.0075, crazy, isn't it?*

And, still support is 100% free!

* - Keep in mind that when charging I count real Ghz not equivalent of Pentium 1Ghz as other farms (it would be $0.0045), that can save you 1000s+++ on big projects and hundreds on smaller ones.

Happy New Year to all! :)

tcoursey
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
We use our own farm. But if we needed/wanted a farm it would need to have the following.

1. Great pricing. Sounds like you have that.
2. Plugin support. Maybe not licenses versions, but would be helpful. We use at least one plugin in our exterior scenes that is a MUST. May not be in 11, we'll see.
3. Easy way to get running and render test frames (one per machine that will render)

LW community would benefit from plugin for bucket style rendering, distributed over multiple machines. Trouble is having the overhead of a SCENE put on the other machines. Our scenes can be 1-2GB each in many cases. But if the CALCULATION alone was sent for rendering we might have something. Then your looking at the overhead of TCPIP and how that would work.

Just some thoughts. Good luck to you.

Soth
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

2. We have quite a collection of plug-ins already, LightWave plug-ins are not licensed per node and that makes them easier to buy and install here.

Regarding bucket rendering, I do not think it will be possible over the internet any time soon, the amount of data that need to be send can slow down even 1Gb network. :)

Regarding big scene files, 1GB sounds like a lot, but it is just a bit over the hour of uploading - if you capable of 2Mb upload - and that without compression. Even if your upload speed is only 512Kb you can start sending your images folder few hours (or night) before you will think you will be ready to render final version. Objects compress very well and scenes are never very big. We will have our own upload tool in few weeks to make things even easier.

tcoursey
01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Just looked at website and noticed on the sticky note that "length" is misspelled. just FYI.

Greenlaw
01-03-2012, 01:14 AM
I know I'm replying to an old post but at work we've had an in-house plug-in for years that does this and by now I'm sure it's saved us thousands of hours that might have been wasted because of incorrect res settings, inadequate AA, LR unintentionally enabled, etc. Our system checks a scene against render settings defined by the project's lead artist and flags the differences. A user isn't required to follow the definitions but the pop-up forces the artist to check his settings against the definitions before submitting a scene. In short, yes, this is a fantastic feature to have, and it would be cool if LW had this feature natively.

As for commercial render farms, I came close to using one for a personal project a few months ago. Instead I wound up cutting a few quality corners to meet my deadline. That said, I would still consider using a service in the future, especially if it was for a contract job with a short schedule.

G.

Soth
02-18-2012, 05:27 AM
For everyone that got Rebus newsletter.

It is a bit sad, that - only because they are big - they can claim having the best price in Render Farm industry even if my farm is up to six (or even more on large contracts) times cheaper. :cry:

QuakeMarine1
02-18-2012, 08:24 AM
your "farm" just use 13 pc - comparing to our 500x12core cluster you need ~40 times longer to finish a job
in otherwords
a 3000 frame job of 10min a frame need 2300 minutes ~38 hour
Rebus need for te same just 1 hour - let it be 2 hour

beside that is our system fully automated and accessable 24/7
can I send a job to your farm at 4am your time and start render immidently ? at Rebus you can do it - no need to wait for an operator

price is not everything my friend

archijam
02-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Rebus is pretty cool too.

Soth - hope you are well sir .. looking for an excuse to finally use and abuse your farm early this year! :thumbsup:

Soth
02-18-2012, 09:09 AM
With GarageFarm you will always get honest and helpful guy that will do his best to get your scene rendered within budget and deadline, including setting up Rebus farm software on your computer if needed as it is not always smooth ride; and all support is and will be free, the only thing I will charge for is rendering time on our computers.

We are 33 times smaller indeed (not 40) but it always comes to time versus money.

As long as rules are clear and no one is deceiving customers they can make educated choice. And farm that can render your animation on yesterday is useless if you cannot afford it or you need some help with your scenes to start rendering at first place.