PDA

View Full Version : New machine - can't believe my former workstation was that slow

StereoMike
05-28-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm in the middle of catching a mean deadline and bought a new pc for that.
I can't believe how slow my old pc was. I had a dual Opteron 270 (equals 4 cores), but my new i7 930 @3.4gHz smokes it. It's four- and more times faster. Unbelieveable, I lived under a rock that long.
I plan on overclocking to 4 gHz, but I didn't have time for stability tests etc, so I went for the "push button" oc'ing (gigabyte tune utility).

Has anybody some experience with oc'ing 1366 cpus? Some bios settings I could try?
I have a noctua d14 as cooler, that's the end of the road of air-cooling and a lancool k62 with 4 fans, if I don't get to 4 gHz, it's not the coolings' fault.

mike

prometheus
05-28-2010, 06:15 AM
just curious, obviously thereīs a general speed increasement overall, but where in Lightwave do you feel the speed is optimized.
Renderer, viper,opengl, dynamic simulations?

Michael

arsad
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Stereomike, do you mind elaborating a bit on the components you used to build the new workstation, or did you buy it pre-build, and if so where?
sorry, no help for OC as you can see in my sig I still live in a cave ;)

biliousfrog
05-28-2010, 06:40 AM
I got 4.2ghz out of a 920 using gigabyte's OC guide but, despite being rock solid for a couple of months purely as a render node, I had to drop it back because it would reboot randomly when using certain apps. As far as I can tell it might be something to do with the RAM's settings but I haven't had a chance to test it out. It would fly through burn-in and stress tests as well as rendering for days on end but Adobe apps would cause it to reboot (no BSOD)...even firefox did it a few times. All components have tested ok and temps were only slightly higher than standard with a stock cooler at stock speeds...I'll have another go when I get a chance.

StereoMike
05-28-2010, 07:01 AM
@biliousfrog
4.2 - that sounds good :) On air cooling?
I guess it's Ram aswell, tried putting it out and back in anew?
@arsad
my machine specs
all done by myself (chosing parts, building, setup)
i7 930 (thought about thuban hexacore, but at 4 gHz oc (i7 and amd) the amd has only a slight rendering advantage, but the i7 will perform way better in realtime stuff like animating)
Gigabyte V58A-UDR3 Mainboard
Noctua d14 CPU cooler
6 GB Ram Crucial Balistix 1600 CL8
cheap Nvidia GTX260 from ebay (heavily considered gtx 470 or ati 5850, but I will wait for the next gtx revision, therefor an interim-solution)
Samsung SSD 64 GB for OS and heavy apps
Western Digital 640 GB for apps and data
cheap LG DVD drive
Super Flower Atlas 580W power supply
Lancool k62 case (window, 4 big led-fans)
sycthe kaze fancontrol
win 7 64
logitech g15 (very cool, really like the programmable led stuff)
I'll make a picture later.

@prometheus
Rendering is easily 4 times faster. I didn't test different scenes, I have used it only on my current project, that has 1.6 million polys- very optimized geometry (I guess I know why I model that way, my old machine was limiting me).
Also layout is waaay more responsive, but that may have to do with the gfx board (had an 9800gt in the old machine)

prometheus
05-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Im soon about to get me a new machine too..
either an I7 950 or slightly better.

graphics card stands between the quadro fx 3800 or gtx 280 290..after
I have browsed through the supposed benifits of quadro fx..such as drivers etc...and yeah, everyone advises me not to buy quadro card.
currently I do have the quadro fx 1100.

I was recommended to have a system-program harddrive only with 10 000 rpm and a 7200 rpm data disc, but I have also been recommended solid state disks, but those are out of the question since its almost 3 times more expensive and thatīs for half the amount of disc space than the 10000 rpm disc.

ram will be 6x2 1600 Mhz ddr3

powersupply Modxstream pro 700w

chassi, antec three hundred or Antec Performance One Mini P180

motherboard probably asus S1366 ix58

Michael

biliousfrog
05-28-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm using a corsair H50 which is a kind of enclosed liquid CPU cooler, costs about the same as the Noctua, similar performance but takes up much less room.

The RAM seems ok, I ran memtest for 24 hours without any errors but I don't think that my settings in the BIOS were ok...TBH I don't know enough to know for sure, I just followed a step by step using the same hardware which is fine until you hit a problem.

StereoMike
05-28-2010, 07:31 AM
I had a close look on the h50, but I was afraid of the pump-noise. Do you hear it or is it silent?

arsad
05-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Thx Stereomike for the info.
I'm also thinking about building a new machine right now.
1 more question though, how noisy is your machine?
As my current PC is mainly passive with 4 big antec fans in an Antec 180
it is quite silent (almost like an MacPro).

biliousfrog
05-28-2010, 08:39 AM
I had a close look on the h50, but I was afraid of the pump-noise. Do you hear it or is it silent?

Dead silent unless you have your head inside the case and remove the graphics card :D

I noticed that several others on here bought one too...I think that Matt was one.

Matt
05-28-2010, 08:49 AM

It's much much quieter than any fan I ever had, _almost_ silent. But make sure you set up the air flow direction right, I had mine set up as their install suggested, but on my old case meant it was sucking hot air in from the PSU exhaust and blowing it into the case near the PSU intake, which basically meant everything was working overtime due to the cyclic heat. Only then could I hear the pump making a noise, not hugely loud, but annoying.

Once I changed it around it went away again. So only under _extreme_ load / heat will you ever hear it.

BigHache
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I picked up an H50 as well and I'm really pleased with it. I also picked up the low-speed Triebwerk fan to go with it. I installed it in the front of my case so it would pick up fresh air. You can take a look here (http://www.jacksonville3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/IMGP8741.jpg).

StereoMike
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice to know the h50 is a good alternative, maybe next time.
@arsad: In fact I really don't how noisy it is, cause 3 other pc in the same room do render (but I can say for sure, that it's the most silent of the four). I get 61°c under full load, oc'ed to 3.4 gHz. With the fancontrol I can turn most of the fans further down, but probably the gtx260 remains the loudest part of the system.
@Matt
I changed the whole flow of my system as well. At the bottom, the air goes from front to rear, at the top it goes from back to top/front. The gfx board divides the two halves (I figured). I don't know, if it's better vice-versa (have yet to test), but temps at full load are promising: hdd:26°C, on back of gfx board:38°C, on RAM:32°C, on the the noctua cpu cooler(piece of metal directly on the cpu):40°

mike

(it's the black one)

Tzan
05-28-2010, 11:52 AM
... I had to drop it back because it would reboot randomly when using certain apps...

Reboots seem to happen for some reason.
My system is not overclocked, I7 920, 6gig, Radeon 5870, Win7 64 pro, Dell XPS 9000.
I have gotten 1 reboot a month since I got this in december 2009. Reboots happen while the machine was doing nothing.

No real answers here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/7ba6b15d-096f-46cd-b13f-63ba9b560a95

Andrewstopheles
05-28-2010, 12:18 PM
H50 is great but big for most cases

arsad
05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks again Stereomike,

too bad that powerful GFX cards aren't silent/passiv (most powerful I found is a ENGT240 silent 1G Ram.

Again thanks for all the info, good luck with the deadline and happy lightwavin'

RLM
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Im soon about to get me a new machine too.. either an I7 950 or slightly better.

If you're up for O'cing and lucky to find a good batch the 920's still seem to be the better choice, and that's coming from someone who's recently bought a 930. The 930s I've seen so far including mine struggle with anything over 4.2 ghz, where as good 920's seem to do that and more with ease.

Something like a #3845B027 for instance. I see people do sell cherry picked CPU's on ebay.

too bad that powerful GFX cards aren't silent/passiv

You can always stick the GPU in the watercooling loop as well wit a full cover block.
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/index.php?page=water-coolers

If you get the right fans the setup's really are very quiet.

RLM

hdace
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I got 4.2ghz out of a 920 using gigabyte's OC guide but, despite being rock solid for a couple of months purely as a render node, I had to drop it back because it would reboot randomly when using certain apps. As far as I can tell it might be something to do with the RAM's settings but I haven't had a chance to test it out. It would fly through burn-in and stress tests as well as rendering for days on end but Adobe apps would cause it to reboot (no BSOD)...even firefox did it a few times. All components have tested ok and temps were only slightly higher than standard with a stock cooler at stock speeds...I'll have another go when I get a chance.

Would like to point out that this guy's advice is unassailable!!!! Built my machine exactly as suggested and it's still the best computer I've every had the pleasure to use. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1027735#post1027735

RLM
06-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Prime blend test is usually the best for exposing memory instability. Memtest can be fine, you can pass OCCT or small fTTs in prime95, and prime95 blend will fail.

RPG

T-Light
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Any chance these reboots are windows rather than hardware related?

My machine is lower down the food chain to those posted (Core 2 Quad + Win 7) but I was experiencing the same problems, occasionaly running firefox or photoshop and the thing would restart or bluescreen. It was bizarre, running games at full settings never bothered it but Youtube could kill it.

The issues stopped a month or two ago, no hardware changes or custom tweaks neccessary.