PDA

View Full Version : time multiplier

KillMe
09-13-2003, 10:04 AM
ok i was jsut thinking that for those scenes where you want to go from real time in to slow motion or fast forward it would be cool if you didn't need to do anythign other than in teh graph editor have a channel called time which can be speeded up or slowed down

then you could set up your scene to run correct time and then alter how its recorded with ease

while maintaining your fps rate at what ever you have set it

hope that makes sence anyway think that would be a cool tool
(knowing me though its already there and i jsut haven't found it)

Karmacop
09-13-2003, 10:14 AM
You can do it with motionmixer but it's alot of trouble ... well a medium amount of trouble. Having what you've suggested would be great .. and shouldn't too hard should it? :confused:

fxnut
09-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Actually, the easiest way to do slow motion or fast forward is just to go into the Options panel (press 'o') and change the Frames Per Second. That'll automatically scale ALL envelopes in Layout. Envelopes key frames are defined by a time value, not a frame, so this works well.

By the way, it's a good idea to turn on Fractional Frames before you do this, as otherwise if you want to go back to the original FPS, you might loose information in the timing of the key frames.

Thinking about it, I don't think it'd be too hard to write an LScript to do exactly what you said. I'll look into it.

Regards

Andy

KillMe
09-13-2003, 07:26 PM
prob is by changing the frame rate if you slowed it down to "bullet time" from normal speed you would have sever jerkiness where as if using the graph edito to slow down time and all the other keys were scaled accordingly to maintain the 30 fps or what ever its set at

which ever version you think you can come up with though would be great though but if my version is possible it would slightly more versatile for extreme variations in speed ( also be make it suitable for be used in compositing)

marko
09-13-2003, 07:51 PM
i belive that problem lies in how lw keys are organized. if there is speed curve you could be able to manipulate, keys would flow to their new positions in time...

ask elmar about this
he was preparing realy nice tool

fxnut
09-14-2003, 08:27 AM
@killme

Unless I misunderstood your second post, I think you misunderstood my first post! I wasn't suggesting that just making a single adjustment to FPS would solve the solution, since like you said, there would be a sudden jerk as the frame rate changes. I only mentioned this as it's an easy way to generate all the other frames needed for rendering the slow motion, after which you could take it into AfterEffects and get it to do the frame interpolation necessary to make the smooth transition from 30fps to say 300 fps.

When I said you could implement this in LScript, I did actually mean having a "Time Stretch" curve to continuously modify the current FPS which would result in a nice smooth transition of speed. It's not trivial to do it though, since you have to be very careful not to miss out frames or include extra ones. I'm already halfway through implementing such a system, and I'll keep you posted on it's progress.

@marko
By changing the FPS, the key frames don't change their position in time, they actually change their frame number. While this is handy for changing playback speed, it's also what makes writing an LScript quite tricky, since you have to base all your calculations on time (a continuous variable) and not a key frame number (an integer).

Andy

papou
09-14-2003, 10:14 AM
yeaaah! thank you fxnut! u right
I was looking to scale all key for all envelopes....
impossible via Scene editor coz, it never scale texture/image filter/etc... only X,Y,Z,etc..
Thank you, simple tip but it do the job i need to process double frame for post fieldrendering...
Aaah...

Jarno
09-14-2003, 06:51 PM
My Timewarp plugin should solve this for you. We're aiming to have it on sale this week at http://www.tufflittleunit.com/
The documentation is online already.

LW isn't really designed for this sort of stuff. What I would like to see is for everything that can be time-dependent to have its own timeline, which can be related to a parent or global timeline using an expression or envelope.

---JvdL---

hrgiger
09-14-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure how the timewarp plug-in works but what I would like to see is a seperate master channel that would allow you to key points along a timeline and adjust the timing on a universal basis to every item/envelope in a scene.

fxnut
09-15-2003, 04:30 AM
hrgiger, yeah that's exactly what I'm working on right now. It'll let you set an envelope that effectively scales the FPS setting - basically allowing you to do slo-mo and fast forward really easily (with motion blur responding correctly). It's kinda working at the moment, but it still needs a bit of tweaking and bug fixing to get it to work properly. (It's not an easy script to write cause you have to locate the next valid integral frame number to render. )

Nemoid
09-15-2003, 12:43 PM
can seem stupid but what about having the possibility of scaling the keyframes directly in the timeline like in Maya? Maya have interesting simple features for this and really allows to make that job with a simple drag of mouse... u can scale your setted keys and extend them, copy and paste them, move them to delay the starting of the animation and all that in the timeline.

KillMe
09-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Nemoid
can seem stupid but what about having the possibility of scaling the keyframes directly in the timeline like in Maya? Maya have interesting simple features for this and really allows to make that job with a simple drag of mouse... u can scale your setted keys and extend them, copy and paste them, move them to delay the starting of the animation and all that in the timeline.

not certain but isn't there some plug keytrack or somethign liek taht that does this? never used it but i'm pretty sure it was for thigns liek that

but for slowing time down i think a single channel you can edit would eb better since it will automatically scale all the keys for all objects in teh scene

a nice touch would be to include panel so you can exclude certain objects from teh time scale though

anyway hopefully by the time we get to 8.5 we will have all these cool features intergrated

Nemoid
09-16-2003, 03:02 AM
No sure at all. I will search on Flay. however, if some great plugin does that, then I'd like to se it integrated in [8] or [8.5] for sure.

now I get the point you want to scale the whole animation with all objects, envelopes, channels, in time. for this you are right. smth in the graph editor would help a lot.