PDA

View Full Version : Accurate texturing, suggestions?

zippitt
05-27-2010, 04:21 PM
From what I can gather 3 point light setups are pretty good for getting accurate texture and color response from you image maps.

Obviously lighting plays a huge role in getting the textures to look realistic, but in my past experiences my lightning setups lead to difficulty creating the textures initially.

What is the most neutral setup I should use so textures produce the most predictable results across various lighting rigs?

sampei
05-29-2010, 12:05 PM
3 point light setting are good if you want to make a hero shot for your character but as a general rule try to motivate each light, often people (including me!) stick with the 3 point light rule because it looks good no matter what most of the times.
To me it's a bit of wierd question, it depends what your subject is etc. but each lighting rig will affect the surfaces in different way depending on the many paramenters (temperature, falloff, radiosity) and even then you can change your render quite a bit with gamma correction.
Different rigs will produce different results, there are hundreds of variables to consider.

zippitt
05-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I suppose when I think about it I didn't even really know what I am trying to ask.

I think experience here lets people know what they need to setup lighting wise when working on texture and I have little texture experience with image maps.

I am working on a space scene, I assume just setup the scene and test your textures for the desired result would be the easiest way to go?

sampei
05-30-2010, 07:54 AM
yes practice is really the only way to go, lots of trial and error, but more importantly study similar work from movies and games, observe how the scenes are lit and try and re-create it in your work rather than "working in the dark".
For space scenes the reference is huge. You might also be interested in some work that has been posted in the galleries, I recommend you have a look, and you could ask the authors for help with more specific questions.