PDA

View Full Version : Unstable LW9.6 on 64bit Win7 - Selection problems

rcneo
05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but I have a brand new Dell 64-bit Win7 system with dual QuadCore 3.3 Ghz processors and 24GB of Ram and dual ATI 5700Pro video cards... should be plenty of horsepower, but LW Modeler is crashing frequently. So far it all revolves around selecting points.

My OpenGL screen draw performance is great, and selecting polygons is no problem either. Actually selecting points presents no problems either when choosing them from a wireframe viewport. The problem is when trying to select points from a shaded/textured viewport. Whenever I try this, the points select about 30 seconds after I drag my mouse over them and once they do, the select very slowly, one at a time. It may take 2 minutes to select a dozen points. Most of the time this causes a crash, especially if I try to cancel the selection or deselect them.

LW Tech Support had me fool with some OpenGL settings in my display options, upgrade my video drivers and even re-install... no help.

This is very frustrating, I bought this new system to speed up my workflow but now it's ten times slower than working on my old LW8.5 app on a 5-year old 32-bit system with 3GB of Ram. :-(

The only good news is that so far, no problems in Layout... it's only Modeler that gives me fits.

Tom

biliousfrog
05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I'll put money on ATI being the culprit, their cards are notoriously flakey in 3D apps (generally). Regarding that, dual graphics cards are a waste with all current 3d applications, they can only use a single GPU. Take one out and see whether that improves anything.

rcneo
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I was afraid of that. I'm not running the dual cards in SLI mode, I have dual 24 inch monitors and each card is only feeding one monitor. I found that on my Vista system at home, my dual cards in SLI mode were no benefit (as you suggested) and actually caused more problems than they were worth, so I shut one of the cards down. But that was on a single 24" flatscreen. Since I'm on dual flatscreens here at work, running each card straight to a separate monitor, it's not the same thing. This is not SLI and I should be getting the desired benefit from two cards. One card going to two 24" screens is asking a lot of it.

Thanks,

Tom

monovich
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd guess it is ATI as well.
I had some nivida problems in Win 7 64bit w LW. I just installed the latest drivers and they went away.

rcneo
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Great, just paid almost $10grand for this new system and now I need new graphics cards... my boss isn't gonna like this.

danielkaiser
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
biliousfrog is right ATI has traditionally unstable in OGL performance, hopefully you can get them swapped out.

On SLI, I use two Nvidia 9800GT's with two 19in monitors and did try running in SLI mode and saw no performance increases or problems so I just left it off.

Titus
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
SLI only works for certain applications like games, LW takes no benefit from it.

rcneo
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, but when you run each card to a different monitor, it's not really using SLI is it? Each card is running a different monitor, not two cards sharing one monitor... almost like two separate systems?

speismonqui
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
thats kind of weird. Im running win7 64bit on a dell studioxps laptop, intel core 2 [email protected], 4G RAM, and an ATI mobility HD 3670. I was affraid to get issues on modeler/layout but so far is doing GREAT!

monovich
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
one card for each monitor isn't a bad idea (non SLI). I doubt you are going to tap out a single card running two monitors, but considering the specs on the rest of that monster machine you may as well not risk a bottleneck.

I've needed 2gb of video ram to open certain files in 3d coat, so I could see the need.

that said, I ditched dual monitors years ago and went with a single 30". The seam was too bothersome and I couldn't figure out how to make the most of the ultra landscape layout.

JonW
05-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Just do a quick test and swap with a graphics card from another computer to narrow things down.

rcneo
05-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I found that after updating to the latest graphics driver, it got a LOT worse. Crashed almost every time I even opened an object or changed views. I rolled the driver back to the previous version and no crashes for 2 hours now (provided I don't try to do point selection on a shaded view). It's definitely something in the ATI card and/or drivers. I don't have another card here to swap, but I may have to find one.

danielkaiser
05-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Try this, under display options in Modeler, select Legacy OpenGL also try changing your Shading Method to Multitexture Shaders.

If all else fails call Dell and see if they will swap out cards for you, can't hurt to ask.

rcneo
06-01-2010, 05:29 AM
I've tried with both those options on and off and it makes no difference. I'll check with Dell about a swap out.

Matt
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Yep, my guess is ATI drivers are causing the issue. This is why I will never buy ATI, certainly not for use with LightWave.

Myagi
06-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Try this, under display options in Modeler, select Legacy OpenGL also try changing your Shading Method to Multitexture Shaders.

I might not have the latest driver, but the two ati (win7-64) drivers I tried have memory leaks with Legacy OpenGL. The first driver I used had a huge memory leak, it leaked loads for each viewport redraw (in most shaded modes). Orbiting in perspective for 10 seconds and it gobbled up some 600MB! (with a 50 poly model).

The driver version after that reduced the leak a whole lot so it wasn't a crash issue anymore, but the leak wasn't 100% gone. After 5-6 years of ati I should've known better, they simply can't get their sh.. together.

GandB
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I'll be getting a new Dell (or Alienware...same thing) in August. I'll be sure to steer clear of ATI cards then, as I've heard they have issues as well.