PDA

View Full Version : Project List: The Matrix????

andrenozawa
09-13-2003, 06:07 AM
If you take a look at LW`s Project list you will find The Matrix .
but the movie was done using Maya and Softimage...having a single LWO in the movie give the people the right to say it was done using LW?Kind of unfair with Maya and Softimage.

Give me your opinion

Elmar Moelzer
09-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Well, LW was used in the making.
I found it unfair of A/W to show the flying R2 fron episode 2 (that was done in LW) in their reel at Siggraph. Which is IMHO a lot worse.
CU
Elmar

mattc
09-13-2003, 07:57 AM
It's also Allen's list of LW projects as well. I know Eric Soulvie (gmil & BESM) worked on both films. He's now at Lux.

Regards
M.

wok
09-13-2003, 06:06 PM
i remember checking out this site some time ago, check it out http://www.psychoform.com/htmlgallery/resume2.htm
This guy worked on Reloaded and Revolutions and he mentions LW. Not that it matters what software was used anyway!
Fantastic site too!!

WizCraker
09-13-2003, 09:19 PM
If memory serves me right for "The Matrix:Revolutions ," ESC Entertainment was looking for Lightwave modelers. Also did you know in "The Matrix:Reloaded ," the visual effects were rendered in Mental Ray.

Here are some quotes about the difference in Mental Ray and Renderman [just as a factoid nothing else]:

"Mental ray as a renderer has gotten better," acknowledges Pixar co-founder and President Ed Catmull, but he says that film studios still will choose RenderMan for complicated tasks, such as creating the thousands of characters in the army of orcs in the "Lord of the Rings" movies. "There are hundreds and hundreds of millions of different surface elements" in such scenes, he says, and RenderMan excels in computing in such a "tremendously complex environment."

"ILM, founded by George Lucas, says it still primarily uses RenderMan. But Cliff Plumer, chief technology officer at ILM, adds that mental ray creates a "more photorealistic image" for many shiny or even translucent objects, such as an earlobe. "

This next one is interesting:

"There's a touch of Hollywood studio politics at play in the RenderMan-mental ray rivalry. A film studio like DreamWorks SKG, says Ed Leonard, its head of technology, doesn't want to be "dependent on any key piece" of technology from a rival such as Pixar whose film division made "Toy Story" with Walt Disney Co., among other movies. Mr. Leonard says DreamWorks used an internal rendering system for its hit "Shrek," but will use mental ray for some scenes in its coming computer-generated movie "Sharkslayer," an underwater mafia yarn."

"One worry for some studios is that Pixar would save its best tricks for its own film unit. Pixar's Mr. Catmull says the company once delayed public release of one piece of technology, a subtle technique for shading hair, but decided it was "stupid and a mistake." He says there is now a fire wall between the company's film and software arms."

This one is really interesting to. Imagine what could be done with this technology.

"The company is working on moving mental ray into new industrial applications including what it calls a "reality server," which would allow many people to simultaneously tap remotely into a three-dimensional database. For example, Boeing technicians all over the world would be able to view certain diagrams of an aircraft model from various angles.

To prevent copying or misuse of the centrally stored data, the technicians could only download miniature applications to conduct their tasks, not the core data itself. The technology also is being developed for computer games: A user could highlight the pawn on a chess game and move it on the board, but couldn't download the game.

If this approach is perfected, Mental Images' Mr. Herken says, "you'll be able to walk through a spaceship and interact with it, but you can't take the spaceship.""

takkun
09-14-2003, 02:48 AM
Very interesting stuff, thanks for cut-and-paste, WizCraker.

And Andre, where did you read that they only used one lwo? Was that just an exaggeration to give your comments more drama? ;) I really don't care either way, I wasn't very impressed by reloaded, but if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling to know that Lightwave has been used in everything, then sure, they used it. :)

wok
09-14-2003, 02:50 AM
yeah interesting stuff, thanks for the post.

Rei
09-14-2003, 04:42 AM
Its the same way that LW was used for FF:TSW for doing some of the hard body modeling (cause it rox0rs) but it wasnt mentioned in the credits becase AW (they make Maya right) payed Squarefilm to put it in.
Same as HL 2 and Doom 3 are using LW for some of the modeling, and then animating in Maya. But cause AW pay they guys to do that, they get to ship a PLE with the game, of Maya.

takkun
09-15-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Rei
Its the same way that LW was used for FF:TSW for doing some of the hard body modeling (cause it rox0rs) but it wasnt mentioned in the credits becase AW (they make Maya right) payed Squarefilm to put it in.
Same as HL 2 and Doom 3 are using LW for some of the modeling, and then animating in Maya. But cause AW pay they guys to do that, they get to ship a PLE with the game, of Maya.
It would be great if Newtek made a game version of Modeler to ship with games (maybe they could disable sub-d's since they aren't used in game engines yet.) It would be great exposure.

Karmacop
09-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I think the deiscovery edition is meant to be for games. I don't understand why they don't market the free downlad a bit more .. or at all :\

dwburman
09-15-2003, 08:38 AM
wait a minute, I thought Valve was using Softimage XSI to make Half-life 2. The're pretty prominent on the XSI customer testimonial reel.

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/video_gallery/

jb_gfx
09-16-2003, 09:07 AM
I too heard that Softimage has been used for creating and animating models in HL2.

Btw, that Softimage's site is absolutly ugly, what a shame for a company that sales CG applications.