PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Timothy Albee

ILWUG
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.ilwug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/052910-TimAlbee1.jpg

Interview with Timothy Albee - The Return of Independent Film Making

Timothy Albee has been a staple of the LightWave community for years. Writing more than 6 books on LightWave, guest speaking at the NewTek booth at Siggraph and helping thousands of LightWave users improve there work in one way or another over the years. Then there is his short film, Kaze Ghost Warrior. A 22 minute short film done completely in LightWave 3D and the Video Toaster on just two computers in a span of 6 months.

Tim does not take no for an answer... when he was told by major film companies LightWave was not a viable solution and that 25 million was not near enough for a feature animated film. Tim set off for the Alaskan wilderness to live modestly with out distraction and prove them wrong. Tim was able to produce Kaze, in 6 months for less than 10,000 dollars by himself. Is this practical, no, Tim understood that. But it does prove a very valid point that with drive, the right software and some time, anything is possible. Tim would say to you... "You try to create 22 minutes of quality animation, modeling, texturing and rendering a short film in Maya or 3DS Max in 6 months".

The International LightWave 3D User Group is proud to interview Timothy Albee this Saturday at 12pm CST (10 am Pacific and 1pm Eastern).

The topics of discussion will include the following:

Why LightWave?
Does LightWave still have the horsepower to do feature character animation?
Do your principals of animation still hold up today?
What do you think are the 3 biggest mistakes you see other aspiring filmmakers make?
Making it in this industry.
What do you think about the current direction of LightWave 3D?
What do you think is LightWave’s greatest strength?
What do you think is LightWave’s greatest weakness?
... and more

To register for this FREE interview please click here (https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/348022738) or simply visit www.ilwug.com (http://www.ilwug.com/)

Chuck
05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I always learn a lot from Timothy Albee in any presentation or interview he does. This is a terrific opportunity for the community! :)

Larry_g1s
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Already signed up.

Nicolas Jordan
05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I've been looking forward to this one. I always enjoy listening to Mr Albee. :thumbsup:

geo_n
05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
cool. will this be available for download.

ILWUG
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey folks we start the interview in about 1 hour and 40 minutes :)

Hope to see you all there. We are running out of space as well so register quickly... were over 700 at the moment and only have about 240 seats left.

REGISTER NOW!!

http://www.ilwug.com/

BigHache
05-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Would love to, but I'm leaving on a jet plane…

Hopper
05-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Signed up. Sounds like a treat.

Serling
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Excellent interview, Tim & Wes!!! Thanks for taking the time to do it!

akademus
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Awesome stuff. Keep then coming.

On the side note, I didn't know this is THE Steve Worley with Tim on the photo.

Cheers

scnorman
05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
THE BEST INTERVIEW!!! These ILWUG webcasts are always good but Tim Albee rocked. Thanks to all.
Sharron

mch
05-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Great Interview !!!

Thanks to Timothy and Wes for the fun and inspirational insights of animation with Lightwave ...

Cheers,

Marcus

Pryzm
05-29-2010, 01:54 PM
You guys were right, it was a GREAT interview. Good to hear the passion and enthusiasm that Tim has. It's always a good thing to hear people slogging through the same things I am, and hear how it worked out. Great Interview!!!

sony
05-29-2010, 01:56 PM
it was good

Roadwarrior
05-29-2010, 01:57 PM
This interview was great to tune into.
Thanks so much for sharing Timothy & Wes:):newtek:

sampei
05-29-2010, 02:02 PM
is that Leopard part of a tutorial or just the model from kaze ? I just love it !

Philbert
05-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I signed up last night but it never sent me an email when it was time for the webinar to start... :( Hopefully a recording will be out soon.

Nicolas Jordan
05-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks to both Timothy and Wes for doing the webinar. I enjoyed listening to it very much! The moose story was pretty funny! I also enjoyed listening to the stories about Siggraph 2004. :)

rednova
05-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Tim:

I loved your interview, I was so happy to finally hear your real voice.
I have a few of your books and look forward to study.
I liked hearing from you !!!
Love!!!

rednova / fernando bartra

ILWUG
05-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys for the great feedback, Tim is amazing and it was great talking to him again and in front of the community.

The video is now up and online for viewing.

Admin -
International LightWave 3D User Group
www.ilwug.com

Philbert
05-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Awesome, thanks for getting it up so fast!

kojean
05-30-2010, 06:50 AM
The video is now up and online for viewing.
Thanks for this Timothy and Wes, I look forward to watching.

evenflcw
05-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the speedy upload. I was there on and off yesterday. From what little I heard it sounded like an awesome interview. Looking forward to hearing/seeing it in full. Thanks Wes and Timothy!

3djock
05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Great insight by Obi-Wan even thou I'am older he is wiser the 3 hours went by real fast. The stories were great as well, kind of funny a city slicker going to the wilderness.:thumbsup: A very talented guy for sure.

Philbert
05-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Great interview it was funny hearing about that NewTek party with Dick Van Dyk because I think I was there, but I don't remember Dick being at the party, only at Siggraph. Was that the one on the roof of the Henry Fonda Theater?

Cageman
05-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Great interview!

I had signed up for the LIVE session, but I forgot about it. :/ But I snagged the downloadable version and have listened to the whole thing!

Thanks alot Wes and Tim! The 3 hours felt alot shorter!

:)

GraphXs
05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Great Interview Wes/Tim, Thanks!

kurv
05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Great interview it was funny hearing about that NewTek party with Dick Van Dyk because I think I was there, but I don't remember Dick being at the party, only at Siggraph. Was that the one on the roof of the Henry Fonda Theater?

That was the one... :)

Thanks guys, glad you liked the interview!!

c0deb0y
05-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Wow, what a great interview. I'm so jazzed about character animation again.
Thanks Timothy!!

Triodin
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
This was the BEST! Thanks ilwug!

Surrealist.
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I loved this interview. Still picking up some of the pieces I missed. Also is it just me or is Tim's audio all broken up as well as just bad EQ? There were parts I could not make out what he was saying at all. Any chance to get that fixed? I'd gladly volunteer put it though Vegas and pump it up with some compression and EQ. But the breaking up is also there. Am I alone on this?

Either way the offer stands if I get the OK to copy it for that purpose and send it back.

Philbert
06-02-2010, 05:13 AM
I did find that his audio was messed up near the end but then it cleared up just before finishing.

Surrealist.
06-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Well interesting enough, I was able to load it into Vegas but the clip chops off in the middle. It plays fine in Media Player, but it is very difficult to hear on my speakers. I'll try phones. But putting it though a compressor with a little EQ helped alot and I could hear it on my speakers and make out the dialog while I was working around the apartment.

So if I could get a full audio track that loads all the way through to the end, the offer stands. A shame to loose any of that great interview to poor audio.

Remember one thing that makes good audio is something that is audible on all systems. ;-).

Besides that, I always find Tim to be an inspiration and that is putting it mildly. He is a big reason I stuck with LightWave for so long.

Thanks for putting it there for us. Just great stuff!

ILWUG
06-02-2010, 09:51 AM
We compressed the file to fit in 1 upload of 100 megs. So the audio is compressed quite a bit. I can try to redo it, but it wont be this week...

Triodin
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Also wow - super fast on the interview upload - I was sad to have missed in in person but I couldn't believe the file was already up for download. Very nice!