PDA

View Full Version : SIX questions !

sampei
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I've not been able to find answers for the following:

1) is there a plugin or script to connect 2 edges and make a poly, something like bridge but between 2 edges ? if not can somebody make it?

2) is it possible to reverse a subdivide polygons command (shift-D)? something like unsubpatch but in face mode ?

3) where can I find spin edges ?

4) sometimes I find it useful to select an edge or poly and go to the top tool bar select button and switch to points to selct the points that belong to the edge or poly, can I create a shortcut for this (I couldn't find them in the configure keys panel!) ??

these are for 64bit modeler users only:

5) do you have untangle ? I don't, and I'm sure I don't.

6) does metaform plus crash modeler instantly whenever you run it ?

whoever answers all the above get's something special.

JeffrySG
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
1) is there a plugin or script to connect 2 edges and make a poly, something like bridge but between 2 edges ? if not can somebody make it?
bridge does this already. in 9.6 anyway.

2) is it possible to reverse a subdivide polygons command (shift-D)? something like unsubpatch but in face mode ?
not that I'm aware of, seems like there would be some guess work to do this accurately.

details, polygons, spin quad. cntrl-k
Not sure if there is an actual spin edge but you can spin two quads next to each other to spin the shared edge.

4) sometimes I find it useful to select an edge or poly and go to the top tool bar select button and switch to points to selct the points that belong to the edge or poly, can I create a shortcut for this (I couldn't find them in the configure keys panel!) ??
Yep. I have added this to my mouse menus and use it all the time.
Look for: 'sel points' in the modeler tools in the conf. menus window.
(or sel polys, edges if you want to convert to polys or edges, etc.)

these are for 64bit modeler users only:

5) do you have untangle ? I don't, and I'm sure I don't.
on a mac sorry...

6) does metaform plus crash modeler instantly whenever you run it ?
don't use it sorry...

whoever answers all the above get's something special.
:(

srry bout the red... didn't think it would be that hard on the eyes.... :(

sampei
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM
hehehe thanks Jeffry, much appreciated!

1) DOH !

2) fair enough ! but I mean in theory if we keep the mesh all quads/tris like being in subpatch mode it still couldn't be possible ? regardless of the utility..

3) I meant the spin edges that is advertized in the 9.6 whats new PDF document...it's supposed to spin the edge once you select it...like untangle I cannot find it !

4) great thanks !

and yeah the red is kind of an eye killer :D

probiner
05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
I'll try green then :D

Not that i know. I guess such plugin would have to look for exctly the same divisions, and analyzing meshes Poles.
Now... Are you trying to freeze a subdivided object and then remove the divisions? There is a way.

Spin Edge is in 'polygons' menu in the Shortcuts Menu for me

The ones Jeffry i did not know about them, going to check. I use Sel Switch wich cycles through selection modes. Might not be great for edge as a start though.

Twisted_Pixel
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
1)As stated, bridge does this :)

2)I think only if its a undo straight after, other than that you are probably out of luck.

3) Using studio setup if i remember correctly, Spin Edge is under Refine>Polygons>Spin Edge

5) Untangle appears, when i use the search function in the menu editor.

6)Yes instant crash.

sampei
05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
thanks for the replies, I officially am missing untangle and spin edges. If somebody is kind enough to locate and send me the p. files or scripts (they should be in the programs files/newtek/lightwave/plugins folder) it would be really great....

and Probiner how can I freeze and remove the divisions? (not what I had in mind but still interesting!)

Matt
05-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Definitely the wrong forum to ask sex questions, oh ... wait ... hang on! ;)

littlewaves
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Definitely the wrong forum to ask sex questions, oh ... wait ... hang on! ;)

dunno about you guys but I crash within seconds of untangling

Kuzey
05-28-2010, 03:24 AM

For me...it's in the Detail tab under the edges category...after "add edges" tool.

Kuzey

sampei
05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
guys I definetly do not have them, I think for some wierd reason they aren't present in the appropriate folder, it's frustrating. Yeah I probably wouldn't even use them but heck I still want them.
I tried chewing my dongle but that didn't work.
Matt and littlewaves please if you're going to have hardcore untangling sessions keep it to yourselves ! ;D

Kuzey
05-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Mmmm...have you tried playing around with the presets dropdown menu in "Edit Menu Layout" panel? You might have accidentally applied one of the old menu styles, that would be one reason why it's not showing up.

Good luck!!

Kuzey

sampei
05-29-2010, 12:29 PM
thanks Kuzey, I had a look but it's on default as it's always been...hmmm....somebody up there doesn't want me to spin my edges. :(

zardoz
05-29-2010, 02:06 PM
well about the second question
I've faced this problem from time to time...importing models from other softwares that are 'frozen'. What you have to do is try to figure out what was the original subdivision. Imagine you can tell that you each original quad was subdivided in 3x3=9 quads. When you subdivide a model the new quads will be part of loops, so I look for a point with more than 4 edges and choose two edges, choose loop and then use a plugin I don't know if it comes with lightwave or not (I don't have lightwave here to check it) to eliminate the loops. And then do the same to the two perpendicular loops , and repeat this all over the model. It's hard work, but if you start right the rest is easy.

sampei
05-29-2010, 02:19 PM
with bandglue ?

Kuzey
05-29-2010, 02:52 PM
thanks Kuzey, I had a look but it's on default as it's always been...hmmm....somebody up there doesn't want me to spin my edges. :(

Mmm...try searching for "Spin Edge" in the "Edit Menu Layout" panel...it should turn up.

The other thing I can think of, is you have an earlier version of LW...say 9.3 that's affecting the preferences of 9.6....you're not on a Mac are you??

Kuzey

sampei
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
nope sorry, using the search function was the first thing I tried I'm afraid. It's like with untangle. I'm using LW 9.6 on Vista 64 (thinking of changing to XP or 7 since I have both...). Normally it should be in the plugins or modeling tools folders in the installation folders but I don't think it is there.
I bet that if I install LW 32 bit they're both there...
oh btw can I have 32 and 64 bit both on the same system using the same dongle ?

Kuzey
05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
nope sorry, using the search function was the first thing I tried I'm afraid. It's like with untangle. I'm using LW 9.6 on Vista 64 (thinking of changing to XP or 7 since I have both...). Normally it should be in the plugins or modeling tools folders in the installation folders but I don't think it is there.
I bet that if I install LW 32 bit they're both there...

It was worth a try :D

I'm not sure about the 32 & 64 bit systems on the same machine. The problem would occur if they shared the same preferences..but I wouldn't know about the PC side of things.

Kuzey

zardoz
05-29-2010, 05:26 PM
it's called dissolve loop and I guess it's part of the james willmott edge tools

sampei
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
cool I was unaware of these plugins, just got them and the tutorial from the database thanks :)

Twisted_Pixel
05-30-2010, 06:06 AM
I have untangle and spin edge, listed when i go to configure menu. Tried a manual search in the folders and no sign of them however. So not sure how that works.

sampei
05-30-2010, 07:12 AM
many for looking thanks Twisted, it is indeed a mistery !
The strange thing is that I remember not finding these new tools in any computer in uni, which were running 9.6 32bit on XP, I really don't understand -__-

zardoz
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
untangle and spin edge are part of a plugin called modelertools.p that comes with lightwave. If you use alt-F11 to open the plugins window you can search.

sampei
05-31-2010, 06:53 AM
untangle and spin edge are part of a plugin called modelertools.p that comes with lightwave. If you use alt-F11 to open the plugins window you can search.

before reading this post, last night I tried the edit plugins scan directory and found them, can't believe I hadn't tried that before!!
many thanks anyway ! :beerchug:

Maxx
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Works like a charm here - the config files are named differently (the 64 bit versions append "-64" at the end of the file names) so there's no need to reset your startup preferences either. Although I don't use the hub, so that may cause some problems if you don't redirect the config options...

sampei
06-01-2010, 07:23 PM
thanks Maxx and nice dog ! more dogs on the forum !