PDA

View Full Version : Another fake military email scammer

shrox
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Not quite The Three Kings movie...

"My name is Captain Matthew Stamford of the US Marine corps stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan, I found some money stashed in a couple of barrels while on patrol ($900,000.00) I need someone to help me move it to a safer place, please have it in mind that there is no danger involved. You may contact me on [email protected] so that I can provide you with more details."

LazyCoder
05-26-2010, 10:14 AM
lol, just like an RPG, there's ALWAYS large quantities of cash stashed inside unmarked but very breakable barrels.

SBowie
05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
I found some money stashed in a couple of barrels while on patrol ($900,000.00) ...[/I]Man, I wouldn't bother. The last offer I got was $35 million. I wouldn't walk across the street for a barrel with under a mill in it. That's just plain insulting. :p

OnlineRender
05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Attention: Email User.
Congratulations, PRIMETIVAL INTERNATIONAL ONLINE E-MAIL AWARD PROMOTION 2010. We are happy
to inform you that your email address have emerged a winner of, NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN
THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND TEN EUROS ONLY.(915,810.00euros)..
NOTE: to begin your claim, please complete this below including the photocopy
of your identification and contact your claim Agent Company below, by
e mail, fax, or telephone.

OnlineRender
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Your email, has won 800,000.00 pounds in the Total Oil promotion held in UK today, to
claim your prize, contact the claims agent that have been assigned to you Mr. Evan Wibers
via his email [email protected] Fill: Full Name...., Address.....,
Age......, Occupation......., Mobile..........., Country...........,

shrox
05-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Your email, has won 800,000.00 pounds in the Total Oil promotion held in UK today, to
claim your prize, contact the claims agent that have been assigned to you Mr. Evan Wibers
via his email [email protected] Fill: Full Name...., Address.....,
Age......, Occupation......., Mobile..........., Country...........,

Those are normal, these from supposed military are kinda new, and if they really did find something valuable and kept it, that's a serious offence!

Nangleator
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Aah, Kelly's Heroes!

SBowie
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
... if they really did find something valuable and kept it, that's a serious offence!They almost always are ...

From Wkipedia: "The details vary, but the usual story is that a person, often a government or bank employee, knows of a large amount of unclaimed money or gold which he cannot access directly, usually because he has no right to it. Such people, who may be real but impersonated people or fictitious characters played by the con artist, could include the wife or son of a deposed African or Indonesian leader or dictator who has amassed a stolen fortune, or a bank employee who knows of a terminally ill wealthy person with no relatives or a wealthy foreigner who deposited money in the bank just before dying in a plane crash (leaving no will or known next of kin), a US soldier who has stumbled upon a hidden cache of gold in Iraq, a business being audited by the government, a disgruntled worker or corrupt government official who has embezzled funds, a refugee, and similar characters."

These scams always smack of illegality and are designed to appeal to people whose greed outweighs both their ethics and common sense. By all accounts they are also big business, which doesn't say much for either the morals or common sense of the masses. On the latter point, they even have one now which "targets former victims of scams. The scammer contacts the victim saying that their organization can track and apprehend the scammer and recover the money lost by the victim, for a price." Duh.

Nangleator
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I've won that e-mail lottery from Bill Gates!

Must be a software issue holding it up.

SBowie
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm still waiting for my Nigerian payoff to come through. :jam:I've read articles reporting that some of these gangs are deadly serious. If they get their hooks into you, you may have a lot more serious problems than legal trouble.

shrox
05-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I just think that this "military" angle is pretty bad. Someone will think it's real, fall for it, then blame whatever branch of the military, who has absolutely nothing to with it.

SBowie
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Someone will think it's real, fall for it...I think that's the idea. :p

then blame whatever branch of the military, who has absolutely nothing to with it.That would be pretty obviously unjustified, but you're right that people want someone to blame. Beyond the perpetrators, they often might start by looking in the mirror. It's not really 100% true that 'you can't con an honest man', but for that to succeed requires different bait (than greed) ... phony philanthropy, for example.

shrox
05-26-2010, 03:03 PM
I think that's the idea. :p

That would be pretty obviously unjustified, but you're right that people want someone to blame. Beyond the perpetrators, they often might start by looking in the mirror. It's not really 100% true that 'you can't con an honest man', but for that to succeed requires different bait (than greed) ... phony philanthropy, for example.

Those are the very people that would fall for it, feel "wronged" when they find out it's fake, then go on CNN or FOX to complain about how illegal immigration and climate change robbed them of their windfall.

Tranimatronic
05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
By all accounts they are also big business.

Really ? I can't imagine anyone actually replying to these with actual REAL information.
I often reply with either ficticious information or a score out of ten for originality.
The soldiers in Iraq is a new one on me though.
Seriously the stupidity of the general public often amazes me

SBowie
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Those are the very people that would fall for it, feel "wronged" when they find out it's fake, then go on CNN or FOX to complain about how illegal immigration and climate change robbed them of their windfall.Yep, but unless we're talking about someone with diminished mental capacity, I don't think they'll get much sympathy. They belong to the same basic group as those you see on Judge Judy suing for damages because their crack-addled boyfriend of two weeks dumped them after selling the car they gave him to pay his bail.

SBowie
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Really ? I can't imagine anyone actually replying to these with actual REAL information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/1334047/Briton-kidnapped-by-Nigerian-gang-in-cash-fraud.html

From the FBI site: "Once the victim stops sending money, the perpetrators have been known to use the personal information and checks that they received to impersonate the victim, draining bank accounts and credit card balances until the victim's assets are taken in their entirety. While such an invitation impresses most law-abiding citizens as a laughable hoax, millions of dollars in losses are caused by these schemes annually. Some victims have been lured to Nigeria, where they have been imprisoned against their will, in addition to losing large sums of money."

Tranimatronic
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
wow. I'm speechless. Not only did he think it was a good idea, so did his wife ....and the Nigerians accepting a Tesco's gas card..... wow

I wonder if he bought into core :D

zapper1998
05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I wonder how many people fall for them ?????

Not knowing there fake...

shrox
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Perhaps they are as confused as this sign poster was...

OnlineRender
05-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Really ?
Seriously the stupidity of the general public often amazes me

:screwy::bangwall: EVERYBODY !

I wonder if he bought into core :D

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee :cool: