PDA

View Full Version : Predict rendering times

Orange
09-13-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi all,
Is it posssible to predict LW rendering times? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Beamtracer
09-13-2003, 08:15 AM
I always do it with the Calculator program that comes with OS X. You can get a reasonably accurate prediction of an animation's render time this way.

Orange
09-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks Beamtrace,
Could you explain it with more detail, i'm quite new with LW : (
My work is mostly about still images, and i would like to render a small test, and from that calculate the rendering time, also adding a certain level of AA. Could be some kind of chart, don't know.
thanks again. You are always very helpfull.

ingo
09-13-2003, 09:53 AM
If you render your test without AA you can simply multiply the same rendertime by the amount of AA you choose, so enhanced medium AA takes nine times longer; but if you use motion blur it takes a bit more time.

HTH

ingo

Orange
09-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks Ingo. BTW love your work : )

Is there some kind of chart? In certain cases as working in tight deadline, could be very handy to choose different AA.

Look at this example: If a 500X400 pixel test render took 2 minutes, the same with 2000X1600 will took... With Enhanced Medium AA will took 9 times longer, right?

Thanks a lot.

Beamtracer
09-13-2003, 04:15 PM
I just set my animation rendering, and watch how many seconds it takes to make the first frame.

Then I multiply that number by the number of frames in the animation. This will tell you how many seconds your animation will take to render.

If you divide that number by 60 you then know how many minutes it'll take.

If you divide by 60 again you will know how many hours it'll take. Note that '6.75' hours will equate to 6 hours and 45 minutes.

drclare
09-13-2003, 06:08 PM
I don't believe that there is any chart on this subject, at least not one supplied by Newtek. It would be an interesting project to post on the forums. I wish that Lightwave did a lot of these calculations for us, like it does in Electric Image Universe, or even After Effects tells you more information. Of course i know that it would increase rendering time, but i don't think it would impact it all that much.

toby
09-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Orange
If a 500X400 pixel test render took 2 minutes, the same with 2000X1600 will took... With Enhanced Medium AA will take 9 times longer, right?

A 2000x1600 image will take 16 times longer than 500x400, without AA, because it's 16 times as many pixels. Then multiply that by 9, but it will probably be longer than that because of how much ram it takes for larger images - it also depends on what you're rendering, low poly/high poly, raytracing, etc.

mlinde
09-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Rendering time can differ from frame to frame, within an animation, if the circumstances permit. Example: You have a scene utilizing DOF or motion blur. In part of the scene the objects all are in the same distance from camera, DOF will calculate the same information, these frames render the same time. Later in the scene, objects are different distances, DOF needs more or less time to calculate, frames render faster or slower (depending on DOF needs). Although you can guesstimate using Beam's method, expect some differentiation, and round UP in all your estimations. I rendered a scene two weeks ago that original estimates (using Beam's method) had going for 48 hours. In the end it took closer to 72, due to issues like the one above.

Orange
09-15-2003, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone! LW community always very friendly.