PDA

View Full Version : Studio Profile with Premiere Pro CS4

skdvr
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
I have been having a heck of a time with the MPEG 2 profiles that my Tricaster Broadcast uses to record. I am really unhappy with the results that I haev gotten using the regular profile. I was having a tough time with the Studio profile producing a good looking DVD also but after some trial and error I have a workflow figured out to output a decent looking DVD using footage that was recorded with the Studio Profile.

First thing you have to do is set up your sequence. Below are the settings that I used.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/NewSequence-1.jpg

Now for what ever reason Premiere is seeing the footage as Lower Field First (LFF) and as you can see above I have the setting in the Sequence as Upper Field First (UFF). The reason that it is this way is because the footage is actually recorded as UFF, I do not know why Premeire thinks it is LFF. So after you import the footage into Premiere and it has conformed you need to "Right Click" on the footage and go to "Interpret Footage"

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/InterpretFootage.jpg

You can see that it is showing it as LFF in Field Order. Just click on "Conform To" and change it to UFF. Then hit OK.

Now you can either drag the footage into the timeline or double click on it to open it in your Preview monitor to trim up the in and out points.

When you go to export your DVD complient MPEG 2 file with Adobe Media encoder make sure that you change the field order to UFF. Most (Not sure if it is all) of the presets are set to LFF. Set your other parameters as necessary and export your MPEG 2 file.

You are now ready to burn your DVD with Encore or other authoring software.

Hopefully this will save someone the time and trouble that I have had with it. Personally I still will be recording everything via S-Video into a Casablanca Prestige so that I can get a good looking DV-AVI. I personally think that the for 99% of the live production stuff I will do with the TCB I do not need the full 4:2:2 color space. Sure if I was saving something to do some keying with then it would work great, but if all I want to do is burn a DVD there is really no need.

One problem that I am still having with the Studio Profile MPEG 2 files is that my computer is having a tough time moving through them. I can put the CTI at the start and play it just fine, but if I try to scrub then things start locking up. Not a huge deal because most of the time I am going to be just trimming the start and finish, but still a bit of a pain.

I have also converted a few in the Tricaster to AVI files and they yield good results when starting with the studio profile. Not so much if you start with the Regular profile.

Good luck everyone.

Phil

skdvr
05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Oops I just realized that I uploaded the wrong pic of my sequence settings. Dang it. I will fix that when I get back into my office tomorrow. Everything on there is correct except that the field setting should be UFF and not LFF.

Phil

skdvr
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I cannot seem to figure out how to edit my original post so here is the screen shot of the correct Sequence settings.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/NewSequenceUFF.jpg

Phil

DrVideo
05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I have been asking for a simple SD DV-AVI or Quicktime option for sometime now. I don't need 4:2:2 Just give me a plain DV25 file.

My workflow is similar although I finish in Final Cut Studio. I have given up on recording internally to the Tricaster Broadcast. It just is not worth the time to trancsode the Mpeg2 file to a crappy looking DV file.

I run the S-Video out to our Sony DVCam deck and get excellent results.
I just have to ingest the footage in realtime.

skdvr
05-28-2010, 05:12 AM
I have been asking for a simple SD DV-AVI or Quicktime option for sometime now. I don't need 4:2:2 Just give me a plain DV25 file.

My workflow is similar although I finish in Final Cut Studio. I have given up on recording internally to the Tricaster Broadcast. It just is not worth the time to trancsode the Mpeg2 file to a crappy looking DV file.

I run the S-Video out to our Sony DVCam deck and get excellent results.
I just have to ingest the footage in realtime.

We have a Casablanca Prestige that works great for this kind of thing. Well if you do not have much to do in post it is great. If I was going to want to make sure that I can get everything into Premiere I would go out to a DVCam deck or S-Out to a Canopus box and then firewire to a laptop with Adobe OnLocation. I really wish that the firewire port on the TCB would output live video. That would be very nice for backup solutions.

Phil

W_Morningstar
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
The Tricaster really records upper field first? That would go against the NTSC standard as I understand it.

skdvr
05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes the files are UFF. NTSC does not have to do with UFF or LFF. HD footage (Most that I have dealt with anyway, not sure if all is) is UFF weather it is NTSC or PAL. DV AVI is LFF though so it is something that I have been using for quite some time. As a matter of fact I had set a couple of projects to render last night when I left my office. I was down converting some AVCHD 1920x1080 footage down to 740x480 widescreen and on one of them I forgot to change the output setting to UFF. When I played it this morning it did not look good.

Phil