PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card - Cooler

Drocket
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Just wanted to let people know about this cooler (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=251), I fitted it a couple of days ago and it makes a big difference to the temps I am seeing on my nVidia GTX 280.

I mainly bought it to cool my GPU while gaming but thought it will be beneficial for GPU rendering etc.

I was seeing temps around 55-64c while gaming under load (during winter) with the stock cooler, ambient temp in the case was around 45c. With this cooler I am now seeing 44c under load with ambient temp of 45c.

During summer months I see temps 80c+ for the GPU with fan speed on 80% for the stock cooler, so will have to wait a few months before it starts warming up again so I can test it :)

The cooler is not ideal if you are using a SLI system with your cards slotted next to each other though it is possible as this guy did in his review (http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-cooling/648166-accelero-xtreme-gtx-pro.html) amazingly he was seeing similar temps on his stock cooler to the Accelero XTREME GTX Pro in passive mode (no fans).

They also have the same cooler for ATI cards but I can't vouch for how good they are.

Hopper
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
80c for your GPU is well within tolerance. Even for older cards, 100c is approaching shutdown mode.

Under load my 9800GX2 is around 95-105c depending on detail, AA, etc.. (Idle temp is around 70-74c) This is actually considered normal by EVGA and PNY.

But anyway - it's a nice cooler and way less expensive than the water blocks for PG coolers.

Drocket
05-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Hey Michael,

Yep you are right 80c is okay on the temp scale but the noise from the stock fan running at 90% isn't lol. I did have the system reboot shortly after buying the card (well over a year ago) because the stock fan couldn't cool it, that was mid-summer though.

manholoz
05-26-2010, 09:00 AM
My ati hd4850 was running at 85 in idle until I changed the cooler, now it runs at 45 idle. Sure is nice to have a cooler card, but especially the fan running at 90% was driving me (and everyone in the house) crazy.

Hopper
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Yep you are right 80c is okay on the temp scale but the noise from the stock fan running at 90% isn't lol.
You're not kidding either... I run mine at 100% all the time. It's noisy, but not quite as noisy as the two Thermaltake fans I have on the bottom of the case that run at 50% all the time. When the system boots, it sounds like a freaking F1 racer. I'm used to it now, but that doesn't make it any less obnoxious. The only time I don't hear them is when I have my headset on for gaming.

I might be RMA'ing this thing in for a new 400 series. I think the excessive heat is taking a toll on the IC's. I get lockups more often during intense gaming scenes and every once in a while it will simply lock up on it's own. The performance is awesome in SLI mode, but I'm tired of babysitting the heat.

It was a poor design on nVidia's part and I think they are very aware of it now. You'll notice they totally changed the cooling design for dual cards now.

Drocket
05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
The stock fans are very noisy, anything above 50% and it starts to get loud.

I have my cpu water cooled purely because during summer (like 42+c outside) it really gets warm, I tried air-cooling but the noise was too much.

Yep, I did see the new design for the coolers, I will be waiting a while before I change cards though.