PDA

View Full Version : Best 3d Surfacing program?

ianay
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Im trying to get into a 3d Surfacing prog with LW..
Ive got Deep Paint 3d, but its complete lack of tutorials online is frustrating, so its taking me a while to get into it..
Im really just looking for basic painting package that paints directly onto a surface..
so...
Anyone Recommend decent surfacing software for LW?

thanks for all advice

geo_n
05-24-2010, 07:58 AM
3dcoat has good support for lightwave. I would check out zbrush as well besides painting you might need a powerful sculpting tool.

ianay
05-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I have Zbrush, Sculpting isnt really the issue though, just want to paint directly onto models as opposed to all the nonsense associated with UV maps etc..
Isnt 3D coat a sculpting app like Zbrush?

geo_n
05-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Ah then 3dcoat with ptext could be it. You can paint directly on the models and its easy to learn like photoshop. It also has the traditional uv tools and one of the best retopo tools.
3Dcoat does have sculpting but its not as powerful as zbrush for fine details yet.

VonBon
05-24-2010, 08:59 AM
You can paint with ZBrush.

Dodgy
05-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I own both zbrush and 3d coat and I would say while Zbrush is very fast for displacement painting, 3dcoat is the best (and cheapest) for doing displacements and painting spec/colour/transparency, or making a model from scratch using voxels. Zbrush is crippled in that all colour painting is done in one layer, whilst each layer in 3d coat has a colour/spec/transparency/displacement component.

VonBon
05-24-2010, 09:20 AM
well i wish you would have told me that before i bought ZBrush :D
could have saved a hundred bucks. :grumpy:

ianay
05-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that guys..
Sounds like 3d Coat is the way to go!
Theres a ton of Tutorials out there as well

Thanks again:dance:

Andyjaggy
05-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Just a FYI. You are still going to have to UV map things to be able to paint on them.

probiner
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Just a FYI. You are still going to have to UV map things to be able to paint on them.

True, but if he paints with Ptext in 3C-Coat, the UV map will be automaticly generated for him when he exports, so no big deal.

TeZzy
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
If price and general hate towards autodesk (note that I do not hate autodesk products, just tools in my eyes) isn't an issue I would also suggest mudbox. Plenty of free tutorials for it.

realgray
05-24-2010, 05:17 PM
If you can wait, Mari might be a game changer

monovich
05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
"wait" and "might" sure do take a lot of faith. I'm not sure when the two words paid off in the world of 3d.

another vote for 3d coat here, because its simple enough that even I could learn it quickly.

TeZzy
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
it already is production tested. Only thing is that most people won't make use of it's potential.

VonBon
05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I have a question about 3D Coat.

from what i understand it works with the LWO file format.

Does it also take into account vertex maps such as weight maps?
and then let you export as a LWO file and still retain the vertex map info?

h2oStudios
05-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I have a question about 3D Coat.

from what i understand it works with the LWO file format.

Does it also take into account vertex maps such as weight maps?
and then let you export as a LWO file and still retain the vertex map info?

Not sure, but I don't think so. Not weights at least.

mikala
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I love ZBrush for everything I require.
I will be checking out Mari when it becomes available to us though.
It looks like it will be very useful as it seems ptex will also be something implemented in one of it's builds. Or at least accessed.

Philbert
05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I had never bothered to test this so I did a quick test. I made a simple LW model and applied every type of vertex map to it (weight, morph, texture UV, Vertex Color, Selection Set). Then I loaded it into 3D-Coat and made some scribbles on it and saved it back out as a new LWO file. When I loaded it into Modeler all of the vertex maps were still applied.

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/8fc115ca-8b15-4a66-8576-c6d0e0032c16/2010-05-24_2335.png

And of course I can personally attest to how great it is for texture painting after using it on several characters and this Jedi Starfighter that you may recognize from the 3DC main website:
http://philnolan3d.com/images/artwork/starfighter_3view-wings.jpg

It's really nice how you can save out an LWO and load i9t into LW and the textures are already applied for you, including the normal map node.

erikals
05-25-2010, 07:28 AM
must say 3D-Coat looks really sweet...

the only downside i can think of is the numbers of polys.

geo_n
05-25-2010, 07:31 AM
I had never bothered to test this so I did a quick test. I made a simple LW model and applied every type of vertex map to it (weight, morph, texture UV, Vertex Color, Selection Set). Then I loaded it into 3D-Coat and made some scribbles on it and saved it back out as a new LWO file. When I loaded it into Modeler all of the vertex maps were still applied.

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/8fc115ca-8b15-4a66-8576-c6d0e0032c16/2010-05-24_2335.png

And of course I can personally attest to how great it is for texture painting after using it on several characters and this Jedi Starfighter that you may recognize from the 3DC main website:

It's really nice how you can save out an LWO and load i9t into LW and the textures are already applied for you, including the normal map node.

Cool it works. I haven't tried it myself. How about high poly models?

Philbert
05-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Cool it works. I haven't tried it myself. How about high poly models?

Well what do you want to do with high poly models? It does have a little trouble if you want to paint directly onto a really high poly model (like 1 mil polys+). However if you want to retopo a dense mesh you can load them with the Reference Mesh option and it loads fairly dense meshes just fine.

Of course you can load a dense mesh of just about any size into the voxels and either sculpt it or retopo it from there. You can see here I loaded this Stanford "Lucy" statue scan that is about 28 million polys and it works really well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baWrzcTH4qc

geo_n
05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Highpoly to me is 40k poly that is subdiv which is still animeatable. Not 1 mill poly :D but

Philbert
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Highpoly to me is 40k poly that is subdiv which is still animeatable. Not 1 mill poly :D but

OK I made up this little test object. It's about 840 polys in LightWave before Sub-D. I brought it into 3DC and subdivided to about 215k polys with a 4K texture map, I forgot to make a UV so 3DC made one for me with auto-map.

http://screencast.com/t/MzI2ZTcyMj

h2oStudios
06-07-2010, 10:38 PM

Okay... I stand corrected. That's good news.

CaptainMarlowe
06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Another vote from me for 3D Coat. Easy for painting, incredibly powerful for retopo, and integration with Lightwave is a dream. ;)

Philbert
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I only wish I knew LScript so I could write that app link thing that other apps are getting for 3DC.

Greenlaw
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I use 3D Coat for personal work as well as for commercial and game cinematics productions at work. It's fast and works really well, and the developer updates it with new features so often, it's hard to keep up with him. :)

I mainly use it for texture painting for characters, but started using the voxel sculpting tools late last year for environment stuff. Haven't tried ptex yet.

It has very good UV mapping tools. My primary UV program is still Headus UV Layout, but if I didn't have that I would be using 3DC's UV tools more.

Oh, I almost forgot: 3DC's retopology tools are top notch; I used them quite a bit last year on a couple of jobs.

G.